Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

On 28/11/2020 at 20:40, Kallisti said:

Does your hosting provider give you CPU and bandwidth monitoring options?

Yes, our server is barely ticking over - I've never seen it even close to being congested since the "Russian hackers" stopped attacking us.

On 28/11/2020 at 20:40, Kallisti said:

It might also be a routing issue - do their DNS servers have enough capacity?

Can't say.  However, the 500 and 503 errors have only been happening since the latest Invision software update.  That tells me that it's either the update that has triggered it, or the updates have exposed a configuration or some other sort of issue with the server. Or, none of the above and no-one expects the Spanish Inquisition. :shrug:

• Like 1

Can I ask people to PM me their IP address, their error type, and the URL of what they were trying to access for the next couple of hours please?  It might help us find more info about the errors in the logs.  I've already given them mine after a small gaggle of them happening to me a little while ago.

If you don't know how to get your IP address, go to Google, and type "Whats my IP address" into the search bar.  We're looking for a format of XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX such as 234.23.45.184 or similar.  If it starts with 192.168.xxx.xxx then you've accidentally picked up your internal IP address, as that's the usual range of subnets your ISP will put your router on when they dispatch it to you.  If you get a long mix of hexidecimal numbers separated by colons, that's an IPv6 address, so type "Whats my IPv4 address" instead.  I'll drop you a brief "taa very much" message, but tell people to stop in here :)

TIA

My IP <SECRET>

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/discover/49/

Again for me this morning, same IP and page.

I wonder if this might be a hint?

"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems."

If the CPU's not working hard, it must be somewhere else? Web server threads?

I wonder what part of 'the architecture' generates the message?

Got this

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

when trying to see my unread posts.

My IPv4 address is apparently <SECRET>.

Do you also need my mother's maiden name and the name of my first pet?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Got this

Service Unavailable

when trying to see my unread posts

Had the same 3 or 4 times this morning as well

Literally got this just now --- while attempting to clkck from this very page through to Forum Home.  Fourth time today I've had it. IP <SECRET>

Service Unavailable

Thanks for all the feedback guys, but PLEASE don't post your IP addresses in public.  There's only a slight chance, but if someone sees this they could utilise the numbers to hack your machines, which was why I asked for PMs.  If you could all refrain from posting them in the clear, I'd be happier :yes:

I'll take a note of all the replies and then clear the IPs down. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

OK Mike, sorry for the boo boo.

Note to myself, read the text twice LOL.

Simon.

I'm sure it's fine, but I take the view "better safe than sorry" :)

Support have tweaked a few settings, but it doesn't seem to have done any good, so I've submitted your reports to them.  If you're ok with keeping going with these, could you also add the date and an exact time (as close as you can get it) that the error occurred please :) :yes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'll take a note of all the replies and then clear the IPs down. :)

Thanks, Mike. I didn't read the original message carefully enough so didn't spot that you wanted a PM.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Can't produce my IP as I am on WiFi on this Mac not Ethernet.

Hi Dennis,

You can still get your external IP from Google, as wifi also allocates you an internal IP address from your router, which then has its own external "internet facing" IP address :) I can actually see your external one using my Mod tools :ninja:

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hi Dennis,

You can still get your external IP from Google, as wifi also allocates you an internal IP address from your router, which then has its own external "internet facing" IP address :) I can actually see your external one using my Mod tools :ninja:

Is this it ? (puts piece of folded card over built in camera on mac as anti-"Mod tools" device) :- 

Your Public IPv4 Address Is: 

Your Public IPv6 is: Not Detected

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
Mike wants a PM

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

interesting... just had an error message saying something along the lines of server having an existential crisis

Yes, me too. It happened twice, and it's when I initially logged into the site. It was along the lines of "500. Existential Crisis" and then some rubbish about getting decals applied before the Antiques Roadshow???

John.