Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

500 series of errors you see are not related to your browser, PC or tablet/phone. 

Those are server-side errors. 

I think they're being triggered by the forum software, as they only came up after we applied the latest update.  I'm going to be spending some time on it this avo if I can stop being distracted by other things :wacko: so we shall see. :shrug:

• Thanks 1

It may be worth a shot to ask Invision support what could be done about tuning the db server a bit? It seems like some server threads get lost in the woods retrieving a post or a resource. 
At least, that's what it looks like to me...

I've had a nice long reply from Invision, and one of the things they suggested was to switch off the "expanded" view of the topic view list, as there's currently something amiss with it and the reaction system interacting.  Don't ask me any more about that as I have less than no clue.  So for the moment we'll all be using the condensed view, which is what I use on a daily basis anyway, as it allows more topics on the page.  If we get the all-clear from Invision at some point we might reactivate the expanded version if people miss it, but irrespective of whether they do miss it or not, it's switched off, so try not to be too upset ;)

I've also been given some good ammo to make enquiries with our Hosts, so I'm going back to them now to ask the relevant questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just clicked away from "English Electric Lightning - holes in belly tank" to the Cold War Forum and got the 503 warning.  Clicked away from the warning and ended up on the Home page.  Clicked forward and got the warning, forward again and got the topic, clicked back got the warning, clicked refresh and got the Cold War forum.

Hope that makes sense at this time of the morning (02.45) - bright moonlight through the window - thought it was dawn so got up.

Dennis

11 hours ago, Mike said:

I've had a nice long reply from Invision, and one of the things they suggested was to switch off the "expanded" view of the topic view list, as there's currently something amiss with it and the reaction system interacting.  Don't ask me any more about that as I have less than no clue.  So for the moment we'll all be using the condensed view, which is what I use on a daily basis anyway, as it allows more topics on the page.  If we get the all-clear from Invision at some point we might reactivate the expanded version if people miss it, but irrespective of whether they do miss it or not, it's switched off, so try not to be too upset ;)

I've also been given some good ammo to make enquiries with our Hosts, so I'm going back to them now to ask the relevant questions.

Is 'Expanded' view switched off? I've just managed to switch backwards and forwards between 'Expended' and 'Condensed' with no problem.

And I've had 2 503 errors this morning!

P

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Is that why the aircraft section is not showing except for the header when viewing on my Android phone ?  I need to click on the header to view all of the content in that section.

5 hours ago, PDH said:

Is 'Expanded' view switched off? I've just managed to switch backwards and forwards between 'Expended' and 'Condensed' with no problem.

It's supposed to be.  I wonder if the option would disappear if you cleared your cache or forced a hard refresh of the page?  CTRL+F5 on Firefox.  It differs with other browsers, tablets etc.

I just tried Expanded view and it still works for me too.  Time to check the ACP again to see if the button is still set to off. :hmmm:

Meantime, if you use Expanded view, switch to Condensed.  It may reduce errors, but I'm not sure what kind.  I'm always on Condensed, and I still get a few 500 and 503s :shrug:

To answer a question above, it's being taken seriously, but with two companies and their products in the loop, it's difficult to pin down where the fault lies.  Yes, they're server errors, but they could be triggered by the software locking up... that sort of thing.  I'll just keep plugging away until we get there :yes:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Is that why the aircraft section is not showing except for the header when viewing on my Android phone ?  I need to click on the header to view all of the content in that section.

No, that's different.  The forum view can be Expanded, showing lots of information on each topic so you get only a few per page, or Condensed to show the titles and tags plus who started the topic and who replied last.  You get several threads on the page then, and there's less scrolling as a result.

If you've got the Aircraft section "retracted" when you view the forum on Android, it's somehow not saving your preferences, which is down to your browser, not the forum.  Usually, I think that's the sort of thing Invision uses cookies for, so check you haven't got cookies switched off for the site, or something security related.  You could also try removing any Britmodeller related cookies, but you'd have to figure that out yourself I'm afraid.  One of the downsides of so many devices, browsers and platforms on which we can view the internet is that there are now so many variables and settings between everything that I couldn't even begin to know them all.  Firefox on PC is my bailiwick, with a bit of Firefox on Android (not much), and iOS (Apple) bringing up the rear.

1 minute ago, noelh said:

Got it just now when I logged in using my android phone. Only lasts a few seconds. 

I notice the only condensed topic is the AFV section. 

You could try the above, as it sounds like your cookies aren't seeing all/some of your personal preferences. :hmmm:

• Thanks 2

Taking your advice I decided to do just that. I clicked home but it went and stayed on the 503 message. I had to close it and open again. 

Anyway I'm back in, obviously!!, so I'll give it a try. Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's supposed to be.  I wonder if the option would disappear if you cleared your cache or forced a hard refresh of the page?  CTRL+F5 on Firefox.  It differs with other browsers, tablets etc.

Thanks Mike. Cleared the cache before I tested the switched.

Just repeated the cache clear and I can still switch between Expanded and Condensed with no problem - using Safari, MacOS 10.15.7

Glad after 35 years in IT I no longer have to sort/worry about things like this!!

P

Edited by PDH
Brain Fade

3 minutes ago, PDH said:

Glad after 35 years in IT I no longer have to sort/worry about things like this!!

It's a bit nuts.  I'll report back to Invision about that button that doesn't work :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

If you've got the Aircraft section "retracted" when you view the forum on Android, it's somehow not saving your preferences, which is down to your browser, not the forum.  Usually, I think that's the sort of thing Invision uses cookies for, so check you haven't got cookies switched off for the site, or something security related.  You could also try removing any Britmodeller related cookies, but you'd have to figure that out yourself I'm afraid.  One of the downsides of so many devices, browsers and platforms on which we can view the internet is that there are now so many variables and settings between everything that I couldn't even begin to know them all.  Firefox on PC is my bailiwick, with a bit of Firefox on Android (not much), and iOS (Apple) bringing up the rear.

You could try the above, as it sounds like your cookies aren't seeing all/some of your personal preferences. :hmmm:

That wasn't too hard. Open the Chrome app, tap the three dots. Tap History> Clear Browsing Data.  Everything shows as normal now.

1 hour ago, ERK said:

And now they are showing  (must be magic)

Erk.

Wasn't anything to do with us - must have been a short outage at your photo host's server :shrug:

My gut feeling on these sorts of errors (having been building websites in a professional capacity for over 20 years) is its a hosting problem. Does your hosting provider give you CPU and bandwidth monitoring options? It could be the actual webserver software is running out of oomf and giving up thus issuing the service unavailable errors. It could also be the DB server runnign out of capacity and if the forum software doesnt' handle that well you could get these errors, but to be honest I'd expect the forum s/w to tell you there are DB issues in that case.

It might also be a routing issue - do their DNS servers have enough capacity?

I've been getting the same errors at various times of the day and in my past experience its usually the server thats got problems, not the software.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 2

Just got this trying to do a search

Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 503 Service Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.