Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

From what little I know of computers, if it is a "denial of service" type problem the system will be overloaded, slow and prone to crashing. I suspect @Mike and the backroom team will sort it before too long though they may have to take the system down for a while, so we will need to be patient.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I am beginning to think it may be Google ? It has kicked me off the web now three times in 5 minutes. 

Nope, think its BM, cant upload pics at all but I can access other items on Google.

4 minutes ago, PeterB said:

From what little I know of computers, if it is a "denial of service" type problem the system will be overloaded, slow and prone to crashing. I suspect @Mike and the backroom team will sort it before too long though they may have to take the system down for a while, so we will need to be patient.

Pete

I suspect its been sorted already ? I can use the emoji board and my typing seems to be quick again ? 

No spoke to soon, its all molasses in January again. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

The treacle is thick, and I've relayed this to Support.  It's unlikely to be our "Russian hackers" back for another go, but you never know. :shrug: Spite seems to be a persistent emotion with the anti-social few.  :poop:

Hopefully Support will fix it while I'm away from my desktop, but I'll keep an eye on things from my other devices in the meantime :yes:

Please bear with us, and practice both your patience and modelling skills while we're S L O W :owww:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

Edge (I know other and better browsers are available)

Let's squash this right now. 
Edge is Chrome.

Or at least, the rendering engine (the stuff that makes the site appear on your screen, parsing the code) is. So no, that is not the problem.

HTTP error codes such as 401, 404 and 500 or 503 are pretty well defined and classed according to what is a probable cause.

400 numbers - configuration, 401 = unauthorised (ie no valid logon),  403 = access denied, 404 = page/resource not found (link rot, picture/file removed).

500 numbers - Serverside error. 500 is the 'generic' server error message. 503 - what we saw before - is a server error that gives info what could be wrong.

You can customise HTTP error codes somewhat, so instead of a 503 that might give the passer-by more info than he/she should see, you can replace it with a custom 500 error page such as we see here. 
The detailed errors themselves are still logged on the webserver and will be used for debugging the issue at hand.

/end course webserver 101

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Seems to be back to normal now. Thanks to whoever put another Shilling into the meter.

Yep. Just checking in to see the very same thing. If only it was a shilling, eh?

The next thing to see is whether the changes have resulted in the death of the errors, or are they still ongoing? :hmmm:

• Like 1

Got another 500 error two minutes ago when trying to post on the sci-fi page.

Got another 500 error two minutes ago when trying to post on the sci-fi page.and then another as I went to post this message.

this is wierd as I tried to post the first line of text, got the "500 error" and hit back to clear it and then went to repost the message again and got left with the double line from my Android device.

Edited by Mick4350
"500" error

Recently, I have been getting this virtually every time I navigate to the website for the first time, just happened a couple of minutes ago.

I am experiencing it on iPadOS and Safari.

Like others, a page refresh clears it instantly and then I don’t get it again for the session.

I have also seen a different but similar message amounting in the same way - but I can’t recall what it was - thinking it was something suggesting the site was down for maintenance.

Cheers,

Nigel

500 error page when trying to go to the Hasegawa Newsletter thread in Rumourmonger, 08.43, using Firefox (updated testerday) on Windows 10. Cleared by going back a page, because I forgot that F5 is normally sufficient.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Premature sending.

27 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Just had error 500 @10-55 using Google Chrome.

Had it once or twice over the last couple of days

Roger

Same for me, once yesterday and again this morning.

Selwyn

It's just happened again. 11:35-ish morning December 12.

UPDATE,

The posting appeared OK and a minute later I was out of BM, replaced by Google!

Edited by Jonny