Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

Still getting these @Mike - three or four yesterday.

Is it, as the message implies, capacity problems on the web server?

Are you sharing with others or is it dedicated to Britmodeller?

New one just now when clicking the back button. Was experiencing screen updating issues when trying multiple quotes on a topic in chat section, Screen wasn't able to keep up with me scrolling and just kept blanking out until I'd reached the bottom/top of a screen.

Just loaded an avatar for the first time and I've had five 503 errors in about 12 or so posts, either hitting the back button or whatever link at the top of the page. 1840 AEST.

Same here - numerous failures, usually with 503 errors on two different computers and a phone, so presumably it's not related to the mobile/responsive version of the site. A page refresh usually returns the page but typically takes 3-5 seconds.

It would be interesting to know which vision of IPS the forum is using (I don't think the version is accessible to non-admins) as I make daily use of another Invision forum and I've never seen this issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

Still receiving many 503 errors. What if anything is being done to rectify these errors ?

I suspect Invision do not care and are treating the site as just a low impact, low interest nebbish.

Tedious but easy enough to work through with a refresh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a weird one. On view new content I clicked on @badger Revell 1/72 Panzer build. 

It went straight to a 503. I hit the back button. I got back to view new content, but Badgers entry had disappeared.

Now it may just be invisible to me, but could be to all. Most odd.

I think it's happened before but I must have thought it was my fault.

I use Chrome. If that helps.

8 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Here's a weird one. On view new content I clicked on @badger Revell 1/72 Panzer build. 

It went straight to a 503. I hit the back button. I got back to view new content, but Badgers entry had disappeared.

Now it may just be invisible to me, but could be to all. Most odd.

I think it's happened before but I must have thought it was my fault.

I use Chrome. If that helps.

Can you go back in your browser and pull up the page?  If so, copy it and PM me with it, but try adding a post to too.  If that works you can then ask me to remove the extra post :)

I also get the error from time-to-time, but it seems to me to be mostly when my computer is pounding hard on other tasks in the background.  I can't say I've ever gotten the error with only the foreground task running.

For what it's worth, those who are getting slow or handshaking type messages, you might try to shut down your modem for 30 seconds or so by unplugging the power (and battery, if equipped) for 30 seconds, and allow the modem to reboot.  This usually gives you a new "lease" with your provider, and may speed things up.  I have to do this at least once a month with my provided, Comcast Xfinity,.  I don't know whether they slow me down intentionally or not, but my download speeds usually drop by half, over the course of a month.

Also, if you are not doing so, reboot your computer about once a week.  There's an awful lot of software out there that is poorly written, and causes "memory leaks" that gradually throttle your computer, and slows everything down.

Ed