Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

On 14/05/2021 at 08:44, Space Ranger said:

I just got a “500 Existential Server Crisis” notice about a minute ago when trying to access, but reloading the page made it go away.

I’ve been getting these spasmodically lately.  I mostly use my iPad to access BM, but ISTR one popped up on a Win10 PC  a while ago.

No big problem - as Space Ranger says, reloading the page works.

Good luck, Mike & all to find a fix, and thanks for your efforts.

Jonny

I've had three 500 errors just whilst logging in on the android phone and a couple on the desktop computer in a period of two hours browsing the Net today.

In addition to many 500 errors, I’m also getting a triangle with an exclamation mark in it with the message unable to make that reaction (or words to that effect) when attempting to “like” posts.

AW

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

In addition to many 500 errors, I’m also getting a triangle with an exclamation mark in it with the message unable to make that reaction (or words to that effect) when attempting to “like” posts.

AW

I had one of those yesterday as well. Tried to like someones comment and had a weird, never seen pop-up box with the whatever error.

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

AW

Yep! Ditto.

Still get 500/503 errors on a regular basis, page reload usually works but it can be a pain at times

Stay safe             Roger

Not specifically 500.. series errors but I've noticed recently a spate of unsecure warning triangles in the address bar refreshing the page(s) seems to resolve the issue any chance it's related?

Lot of 500 errors and usually followed  by "can't add any more likes etc today"  of late. Not critical but ruddy irritating!

Pete

This is getting beyond stupid now. When is anything going to be done about this ! I know there's a pandemic going around, but I have had at least five " 500 errors " in an hour of trying to access this ruddy website both my my android device and desktop !

• Like 2

500's every third thread shift now. These have taken over from the 503's [said he, fingers crossed], but they're becoming a bigger bloody pest ! 

Surely, after 18 pages, there's something can be done or someone who can fix it. 

The novelty has well & truly worn off !

Edited by roginoz

FWIW, since I last posted these have settled down to 3 or 4 a day - I drop in a lot each day for very short periods just to see if anything has changed. Clearly some people are more affected than others, personally it isn't a great problem because hitting F5 fixes it straight away, which has by now become automatic (which ain't to say it wouldn't be nice if it was fixed).

Paul.

I am very happy with the 500 error.

The statement is strange, but I can explain it.

This internet resource is really very large and complex. The more complex the mechanism, the less resistant it is to failure.

Of course, I believe that the problem will be fixed sooner or later but I know that sometimes the causes of such errors are very difficult to find and fix.

Such a complex mechanism can cause much more serious failures than such an error. So a 500 error is a relatively very low cost for such a large site. 
Since I know that there can be much more serious problems, then reloading the page is just a trifle for me.

Vytautas

P.S. The Lithuanians have such a proverb: "Do not drive God into a tree with a whip, because even cake won't make him come back." :)

Edited by vytautas
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, Paws4thot said:

I have been a system administrator, and despite threads like this one, most 404, 500 and 503 errors are the fault of the client's ISP in that they throw the error whenever the server doesn't respond in an ISP sys admin programmed duration from the request. Most times, using a refresh request as soon as you see these error numbers will get you where you are going.

Mhhh..  Really depends on how the board code is working with the setup BM has - any async call to a db function that is slightly delayed could cause this.

This started with the upgrade to 4.5.x series I believe? It wasn't a problem before that...

• Like 1