Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

20 minutes ago, Railfan87 said:

Chris

Retired unix guru

Thanks Chris, useful info :)

The server is far from overloaded from what I can glean.  It's never using more than a few cores, has tons of memory and cache memory available at all times, and the drives are SSDs, so pretty quick.  I think we have a megabit connection to the backbone too IIRC, so technically there shouldn't be any bottlenecks at a reasonable load.  It does seem like there's a reticence to delve deeply into the logs on behalf of our Hosts though.  Like everthing, it's luck of the draw who you get answering the ticket.  Some of them are like mirrors, others sponges.  There's one guy there that is stellar, but some of the others are a bit of a dead loss.  It's frustrating and time consuming :hmmm:

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

The server is far from overloaded from what I can glean.  It's never using more than a few cores, has tons of memory and cache memory available at all times, and the drives are SSDs, so pretty quick.  I think we have a megabit connection to the backbone too IIRC, so technically there shouldn't be any bottlenecks at a reasonable load.  It does seem like there's a reticence to delve deeply into the logs on behalf of our Hosts though.   It's frustrating :hmmm:

I agree, it's very unlikely that the hardware server(s) is the problem.  The 'web server' is an application, or potentially several applications that run on the hardware server.  I assume that BM.com is one of any number of domains hosted on a single physical server, as virtual web servers.  Depending on the web server software, the virtual web servers can be restricted to a specific number of concurrent connections, or processes, or have limits on how much memory or I/O (disk, network, connections to another server...) they can use.  It's also possible that it's working perfectly in accordance with the Service Level Agreement you have with the vendor.  If that's the case, the vendor will probably happily upgrade your service. 

503s are almost always transient. At the specific moment that the web server tried to process the request, 'something' was unavailable.  That same 'something' might well be available 10 milliseconds later.

17 minutes ago, Railfan87 said:

I assume that BM.com is one of any number of domains hosted on a single physical server, as virtual web servers. 

No, we're set up as a dedicated server, but I think we would be able to have different accounts on there if we wanted, so I guess we're the only site on a virtual server in a way? :hmmm:

18 minutes ago, Railfan87 said:

503s are almost always transient. At the specific moment that the web server tried to process the request, 'something' was unavailable.  That same 'something' might well be available 10 milliseconds later.

That tallies with most people's experience from what I've heard and experienced myself. 

I'm starting to brew a new tack on approaching them on this, which may reap more dividends than the standard "help!" has.  My lack of knowledge of Linux hinders a bit, but I can usually talk in a semi-coherent wasy with them, at least.  Leave it with me ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

My lack of knowledge of Linux hinders a bit, but I can usually talk in a semi-coherent wasy with them, at least.  Leave it with me ;)

Thank the lord it's Linux (or some *ix variant).  I was afraid it might be Windoze.

Feel free to PM me if you need a hand untangling the techno-speak.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Railfan87 said:

Feel free to PM me if you need a hand untangling the techno-speak.

You're a very nice man, thanks Chris :yes:

Over the last few months, I've had days where I didn't get one of these. Most days, I get one or at the worst two.

Today, in my usual 2+ hour visit, I've had at least 7. I have used some bad, vulgar language on the last few!

Chris

• Sad 1

On 10/03/2021 at 16:43, bentwaters81tfw said:

And just as an aside, I get at least 3 503s a day. Paging back mostly, but I did get one logging on yesterday.

This is mostly the case for me as well. Paging back is the most common source for me, but today I got one logging on. Since the solution is a simple "Press F5" it's no big deal, but a little bit annoying.

Do you want ut to keep reporting how much/how often it happens?

I get this four or five times a day using Firefox, if it persists I may have to use MS edge !

My limited knowledge suggests that this is a website/server side issue, and points to the server being incapable of handling large amounts of traffic, have you upset anyone lately and they are DDOSing you at regular intervals ?

16 hours ago, Test Valley Models said:

My limited knowledge suggests that this is a website/server side issue...

It's absolutely a server issue.  As such, it doesn't matter which web browser you use.

Chris

• Like 1

Same as Aer Lingus, thought it would be quiet this time of the day! I'm on here a lot (usually on android phone) so get these 503s two or three times a day. Usually happens when using the 'back' button, if that's any use 🤔

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

The site blew up thanks to a minor update of the management software, which we've now fixed. :rolleyes:

Jeebus Crunch! You had me in a near panic! I almost reached for the rum, to calm myself. An hour with no Britmodeller!

I'm okay now. My blood pressure and heart rate have dropped down to normal levels.

I may need a nap when I'm done here.

Chris

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

The site blew up thanks to a minor update of the management software, which we've now fixed.

Hope the hamsters are OK

• Haha 2