Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

For considerable time the forum is behaving erratically. I can't load the filter for content I posted in, it always fails. When I click "load more content" at the bottom of the normal "new content" screen the newly loaded threads don't have my setting ("condensed") and I often get server errors as well...

J

We're still working on it, and if you can keep letting us know about the errors, that should give us a clue as to the effectiveness of any changes.  I know it's hard, but please try not to sound exasperated.  I know it's a nuisance, and it's affecting us all, but rest assured we're working on it :yes:

• Like 2

Let's squash something else too, while we're in the squashing mood.  It's not YOUR faults.  It's definitely a server issue, and we're working on it.  Unfortunately, it's proving difficult to pin it down because it's one of those intermittent things.  There are logs though, and we're getting these analysed so that Support can try the next potential fix.  What comes next, we don't know, but we'll get there. :)

• Like 4

Yes, Many thanks, Mike. The evening go slow has been on again for nearly an hour now.

I don't know where the servers are, but could it be caused by demand there at whatever time it is?

Not that I know much about how this stuff works. So please excuse me if the suggestion is way out.

4 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, Many thanks, Mike. The evening go slow has been on again for nearly an hour now.

I don't know where the servers are, but could it be caused by demand there at whatever time it is?

Not that I know much about how this stuff works. So please excuse me if the suggestion is way out.

Yes, it's been noted.  HORRIBLY slow :owww:

I've been monitoring the load closely while it's been playing up this evening, and it's barely crept above 1 out of the 40 logical cores available to the server, which is less than usual, but most likely because some folks don't have the patience to wait around while a page loads.  Can't really blame them tonight! :blink:

It's fine not to know how things work.  I'm not all that au fait with the nitty-gritty, and can't Linux to save my life.  I know enough to talk to the Support people in a relatively sensible manner, but it doesn't take long before I'm scratching my head too.  We always muddle through though, and this issue will doubtless end the same way.  When it'll end is another matter, but my favourite Support person has been looking into it today. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Really slow and glitchy for me... difficult to do anything this evening.

gazza l

'zorrible, innit?  :waiting: Hopefully they can stop with the slowness.  Makes me miss the 500 errors :crying:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Really slow and glitchy for me... difficult to do anything this evening.

gazza l

Same here. When I tried to access the forums just now, my browser gave me a "Performing a TLS handshake to britmodeller.com" which I've never seen before. My first reaction was, "Well howdy, pardner!"

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The page has gone from molasses in January to mid spring, still slow but improving. 

You're not wrong.  They know we're slow, it's just a case of waiting for them to fix it.  It has improved this last couple of minutes a wee bit, but I don't want to jinx it. :unsure:

I was completely blocked a few minutes ago with "403 Forbidden" messages and one complete block by a security error (lapsed security certificate) message. And just now got the "500 Server Existetial Crisis" message. but refreshing that page cleared it.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2

I seem to be having a lot of different issues with the forum, including all listed in here so far.

I get a 404 error message, as well as extremely slow loading the pages....

I can't tell if it's my end, or not. 

Thanks for keeping the forum running !!

Lee..

2 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hope that was the end of the issue?

At this stage I don't know.  I applied a few new packages to the server and rebooted it.  It woke up in a bad mood, so I restarted the httpd server and it came back.  It seems reasonably responsive, although I think it's maybe still a bit slow.  I'm waiting to see whether we're still suffering from 500 and 503 errors though.  If you get one, post it up in the usual manner.  Support have gone to get the Big Brain people to look at the issue now, so we'll have to wait to see what they have to say.

• Like 2