Intermittent 'Server Unavailable' Message - incorporating 500 & 503 Errors

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, me too. It happened twice, and it's when I initially logged into the site. It was along the lines of "500. Existential Crisis" and then

Yesterday, it were "503" errors and today I'm getting "500" errors on my Android phone.

I had a good chuckle at the customised 500 error :D

Well done @Mike and crew.

----

Folks, remember: the 503 is still there and under investigation. The thing that's changed is that you can have the server present a 'pretty' message that's less techy.
I've seen these somewhere else with rotating texts, so be prepared for a rescribing and sanding message! :P 

Just had the same 500 error as CedB. I was coming out of the WW1 (Aircraft) section back into the main Military Modelling Aircraft Discussion by Era section. Refreshed and the page loaded.

Duncan B

edit: twice in one short session now when moving from one section to another.

Hi @Mike. I've been randomly getting these errors also over the last few weeks (no surprise of course) but it also occured to me today, that just lately I am getting notifications delayed, and occasionally not getting any at all, on some of the threads I am following.......?

Terry

I haven't seen the '503 error for a couple of days but the amusing '500 error is becoming more prevenant - wonder if you've introduced a new error condition in your quest to resolve the '503 error.

Another odity which I've noticed, when viewing the site through Edge (I know other and better browsers are available) the forum URL seems to be periodically dropping its HTTPS prefix 

Hi,

I have seen this before quite a while back, but both yesterday and today, when I clicked on a thread in a GB I got a white screen with a big 500 and some thing about server existential crisis or words to that effect. It does not happen often and I can then go back and re-click the thread normally but I though I would mention it. For the record I am using Chrome to access the forum.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

I'm using Windows 10 and it just happened to me.  A simple 'refresh' resolved the immediate situation, but that doesn't resolve the initial problem.  It may be the first time I got that particular page, but it's not the first time I got a message about a server problem while browsing the BM forums.

Scott

To me too, unfortunately.

I *think* I've experienced it before, some time ago.  On this last occasion it appeared immediately I logged in.  No big idea - more an irritant than show stopper.

Windows 10 with Firefox.  Both regularly checked for updates, etc.

Jonny

• PeterB changed the title to 500 Server Existential Crisis error.

Probably totally wrong but I seem to remember it was a software problem on the Forum, possibly due to hacking? I think it was sorted but seems to be coming back.

OK just did a bit of digging - it happened previously  in August 2019 following what appears to have been some sort of "hacking" causing the server to overload - think they call it "denial of service". Support went in with the equivalent of a large hammer or something and beat it into submission as I understand it, but it seems to be back! I don't know if it still works but he said that if you hit "F5" it should clear the unwanted screen so I will try that if it happens again.

Pete 

Edited by PeterB

Yes same here.

It happened to me a couple of times over the last 2 days. It happened before indeed.

Not a train smash so far.

I am sure someone is already beavering very hard to sort that snag out.

JR

39 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Yep me too!

Had a couple of times today, easily resolved with a refresh but bodes to underlying issues I'm sure...

Take most of it back....I can't upload anything and the whole site appears to be incredibly slow...the circle of doom is going round and round and round..

• Thanks 1