Hampering the barges - Flt.Lt. Learoyd's H.P. Hampden B. Mk.I (VC)

Part of the Battle of Britain GB for this year:

Valom's 1/72 HP Hampden B. Mk.I.

On 12 August 1940 eleven Hampdens, six from No. 49 Squadron, five from No. 83 Squadron, were detailed to destroy the aqueduct carrying the canal over the river Ems, north of Münster. 

Flt Lt. Roderick Learoyd of 49 Squadron was detailed as pilot of Hampden P4403, "EA-M", and his crew comprised Pilot Officer John Lewis (Observer), Sergeant Walter Ellis (wireless operator-gunner) and Leading Aircraftman William Rich (ventral gunner).

Of the other four Hampdens that made the attack that night, two were destroyed and two more were badly hit.

Last in line, Flt Lt Learoyd was awarded the very first Victoria Cross for Bomber Command for taking his Hampden down to 150 feet and pushing through the hail of AA, sustaining hydraulic system damage, inoperable flaps, a wrecked undercarriage, and wing damage, before dropping his bombs and then nursing his aircraft back to England, where he circled his aircraft until daylight, as he felt it too risky to attempt a night landing.

the WIP thread with the background information regarding this raid can be read here:

Extras: AZ Models transparencies and mask set, Yahu instrument panel & lots of Evergreen strips
Paints: Topsides Dark Earth Vallejo 71.323 and 71.029 (the old DE), Tamiya XF-81 Dark Green,
Bottom Vallejo 71.057 Black & Tamiya XF-85 Tire Black (for the blueish tint)
Interior: Vallejo 71.126 IDF/AF green
Decals: Kit for generic markings. Codes, serial & nose art gifted from the Airfix Hampden by @PeterB

y4meOQmoTnNM9ZkuTsurqTETwHdADTA6CqfjmGys

y4mgHNZ3Ys-jmc1olayN5IJ1J9INc6R_ASJVU90u

y4msGuORBr75uoYu714mz10VN1eV_shuSZgS9pVf

y4mio1N7i8enlV32nQYOaJ3fluP0jc4aXuNg-6i1

y4mHXgqzSYCmavq6ofCZ206-k_Hap-i4qYEdUW5g

y4meg-XsmXIlXn4ilcLXIaGKKyGeZ3fdYChSHM6t

y4my-AmJj3WyXeQSLH4mX6OpgxbP0GyLQFOXRB91

y4m-3YQ-c-nTLmejnGKt3nFpr1068RMnmJBUiDJx

Now, where does the Evergreen come in you wonder?

Well, you can barely see it in the completed kit but...

y4mK8IN90CartPpr49O_3zunttiCSspgNOPrylkg

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

did you have any problems with the clear parts fitting ? as i seem to recall there were issues when the kit was first released.

That's why I used the AZ glasswork :)

• Like 1

Beautifully done, and extra points to you for building a Valom kit!  Those landing gear struts and retraction units look extremely fiddly and vulnerable to breakage.  Outstanding work on getting them aligned!  Interior detail is a nice touch, too.  Alex

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done, and extra points to you for building a Valom kit!  Those landing gear struts and retraction units look extremely fiddly and vulnerable to breakage.  Outstanding work on getting them aligned!  Interior detail is a nice touch, too.  Alex

They're very fiddly and thin indeed. The trick is to add a crossmember on the nacelle ceiling/floor just behind the small divots where they're supposed to go and drill out the inboard holes.
The upper inboard wing parts are horizontal, and the gear should be perpendicular to that so drilling those holes also helps with the vertical alignment.

18 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great build. I want to add a Hampden to my collection. Not sure if I have the patience to upgrade the Airfix kit.

As limited-run kits go, this one is perfectly manageable with love and attention.

Just make sure you get one where the AZ models clear parts are in the box (SabreKits are now selling the last AZ released ones).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This looks lovely,  great job. I have one of these in the stash along with the transparencies  so am pleased to see a decent build of one and have bookmarked your thread to look at when I come to build it.

Great work and great back round  too.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Very much enjoyed reading the  history of the craft.  Your build does them honor.  I never really realized just how narrow the Hampden fuselage was until your headshot of the kit build.  Just a great build and finish of a difficult kit to build.  Valom kits always have their ups and downs, (mostly downs when I build them).  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1