Hawk T.1 WHIF livery - [Completed]

I know most of us are using the same kit, but feels strange not starting a WiP thread with the box image, so here it is for those not familiar :P 

4BvalBp.jpg

Going with a WHIF theme, decals from some guy on Ebay (they are actually designed for vehicle use on an 00 gauge railway dio), and a bundle of 1/72 resin pilots on order to keep in my spares box as too many aircraft kits these days don't come with any.  Other than the decals and random pilots, this will be an OOB build.  Hopefully will make a start on the cockpit tonight.

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Out of interest where do you get your resin pilots from?

Hey Dave, I got them from Hannants.co.uk, they had a good selection and at the best price I'd found for 1/72 pilots.

Paul

OK, so real life, and an issue got in the way.  I did back on the 5th prep all the cockpit parts as I said I would.  Then I got stuck into decorating the living room over the weekend.  During Sunday afternoon during a decorating break I tried to put a layer of primer on the cockpit parts and had my first issue, the primer would not go on properly like the surface of the plastic was repelling it.  Looked like if you spray a heavy mist of plain water on to a glass or something, it had bobbled up in bulbous drops rather than pooling together and running of the surface like it would if you applied it too heavy.  Never seen it before.  I gave the parts a wash in fairy liquid and the primer has gone on perfectly.  This is the first time I've ever had to wash the pieces before painting.  Live and learn.

Anyway, to prove I have done something, here is my primed cockpit, which doesn't look any different as I've primed in light grey, and my pilots that arrived today.

qSlpvcc.jpg

• Like 2

Cockpit is finished, but it looks like I'll need to do some surgery on the third party pilots legs, as he won't fit into his seat properly.  Gonna dry fit it onto the fuselage and see how much of them are visible before chopping anything.

4WHnno8.jpg

AOglFS4.jpg

Also picked these up from Amazon for nose weights.  There's 160g in total there so should do for quite a few models.  The theory being that these ribbons of lead should be easy for me to trim and fold to what ever shaped space I have to fill :)

DLVQq5s.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight, as well as organising my new display cabinet so I could finally unpack most of my built models and finally display them, I got the cockpit glued in to one side of the fuselage, and then I filled all available nooks with my weight.  There is 10.7g (ish), and I'm hoping that's going to be enough as mine won't have any weapons.  I will be using the fuel tanks, but if any one needs the MATRA rocket pods or Gun pod for their build PM me and I'll be happy to chuck them in the post.

yaanf7R.jpg

That lead ribbon worked out really well.  Then I got the exhaust/nozzle(?) in place

0sHk8gB.jpg

And I began closing the fuselage up, starting with the tail

P01JqEl.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Beatties Liquid Poly :)

It still has the price ticket on, but it was too faded to read last night.  Gonna see if I can see how much it was tonight in better light.

• Like 1

@CliffB 99p on that Beatties poly :D

Dropped a bit of a clanger.  Wanted to do it with the airbrake out, buuuut I forgot to put this bit in before zipping the fuselage up 😐 looks like it also stop the door from going all the way in when having it closed 😡

rtC6bjT.jpg

Making steady progress, but not rushing as I'm still waiting for my pink primer which only just shipped today.  Just getting various bits attached to the fuselage, and the wings have been glued and sanded.  I also added a shim to eliminate the step where it meets the fuselage.

g6iSoiW.jpg

• Like 1

So I finished my parcel tonight

IlQeegC.jpg

And got it in place in the cockpit

uwKuF8P.jpg

As you can see, the wings are in, as well as the fins and pylons for fuel tanks

5WtO4tj.jpg

And I glued the fuel tanks (which hopefully will be re-purposed), and painted the canopy insert

27Eu7KZ.jpg

• Like 2

OK, so the front windscreen was a horrendous fit, but I'm gonna live with it.  The canopy had a gap, as it was too short to fill the space left by the badly fitting front

uYo8WxN.jpg

Remedied with some .25mm plasticard

o0NUWNU.jpg

It has since been glued in place ready for painting.  I've also painted up all the landing gear bits and bobs but no photo as I forgot.

Here's the gear

kSyJvKT.jpg

I masked the canopy, then gave it a coat of black first so that would show through on the inside

l8bIAE4.jpg

Then, and I hope you guys weren't winding me up about pink primer, I used Ultimate primer for the first time.  And I have to say, as long as there are no reactions with the Vallejo paints over the top I'm going to switch to Ultimate primers cause it went on real nice

3CRjzl8.jpg

• Like 2

Calling this one done.  I need to patch up the front of the canopy, I had to lay that much yellow down trying to cover the pink primer that it was unusually thick and pulled some off.  I also lost the little pitot tube thing on the other side of the nose.  It was painted, then while trying to position it with the tweezers it pinged into another dimension 😐 

9iSYn1N.jpg

9qBXw8D.jpg

Will try and get some better pictures for the gallery tomorrow in daylight.

• Like 6

Looks great @HoolioPaulio!

I had the same issue with the pitot in that when I had it in my tweezers it launched into the jaws of the carpet monster...

there is an alternative pitot on the sprue, so I just used that. 

Cheers 

Ash

• Thanks 1