Handley Page Halifax kits

Jeff G

Why on earth are these so hard to come across? I built the Airfix kit in 2005, and I've been looking for the past year but haven't seen any that are remotely reasonably priced. Anybody know of anywhere to get the Airfix 2014 release? Or if any company plans on releasing a new one?

Well, Revell have (fairly recently) released both the Halifax Mk.II and the Mk.III.  The Mk.III is, despite some flaws, considerably superior to the old Airfix Mk.III.  I do not know of any plans from any company to release a new kit in any scale.  I'd have thought that if Airfix can do a new 1/72 Lancaster, Shackleton, Wellington and Whitley, then the Halifax would be an obvious choice for them, only constrained by the problem of which version(s) to consider.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Well, Revell have (fairly recently) released both the Halifax Mk.II and the Mk.III.  The Mk.III is, despite some flaws, considerably superior to the old Airfix Mk.III.  I do not know of any plans from any company to release a new kit in any scale.  I'd have thought that if Airfix can do a new 1/72 Lancaster, Shackleton, Wellington and Whitley, then the Halifax would be an obvious choice for them, only constrained by the problem of which version(s) to consider.

Yes, I saw that on Scalemates. The trouble again is finding any that aren't a ridiculous amount! I agree with you about Airfix, bit strange they haven't made a move on it yet.

It's likely the (really pretty good) Revell B.III will be out again before Airfix can get to it. It is by far the best Halifax kit ever issued in any scale, much better than the Merlin-engined Revell & Matchbox kits and the old Airfix B.III.

Just goes to show you need to jump on things when they are available. They were on clearance at substantial discounts in Jan and Feb when I picked mine up, along with a bunch of cheap Shackeltons.

• Like 1

What you mean man? Halifax kits are not hard to find. Where are you looking and what is you willing to put down? Big four engined kits are usually more expensive unless you want to buy an older tooled kit like the Airfix one. I`m guessing a lot of folks grabbed the new Revell kit when it came out and i don`t know how many kits Revell has produced so far, maybe not enough? I hope you`re not looking on amazon because they suxx big time. The Revell kit is out there you just have to look at the right places.

https://www.wheelswingsestore.com/air06008-airfix-1-72-handley-page-halifax-b-iii

Edited by top turret toddler
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, top turret toddler said:

What you mean man? Halifax kits are not hard to find. Where are you looking and what is you willing to put down? Big four engined kits are usually more expensive unless you want to buy an older tooled kit like the Airfix one. I`m guessing a lot of folks grabbed the new Revell kit when it came out and i don`t know how many kits Revell has produced so far, maybe not enough? I hope you`re not looking on amazon because they suxx big time. The Revell kit is out there you just have to look at the right places.

https://www.dadinks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=811715

https://www.wheelswingsestore.com/air06008-airfix-1-72-handley-page-halifax-b-iii

Honestly I have been looking all over including Wheels and Wings, but this was just added and I hadn't seen it. I promptly bought it as soon as I saw your post! But the fact remains, the Halifax needs to be attempted by the likes of Eduard etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It's likely the (really pretty good) Revell B.III will be out again before Airfix can get to it. It is by far the best Halifax kit ever issued in any scale, much better than the Merlin-engined Revell & Matchbox kits and the old Airfix B.III.

Just goes to show you need to jump on things when they are available. They were on clearance at substantial discounts in Jan and Feb when I picked mine up, along with a bunch of cheap Shackeltons.

Yes, you're definitely right about jumping on things. Which is why about 30 seconds after I opened the post from Top Turret Toddler I ordered the old airfix kit from a hobby shop in Toronto. Now to get my hands on the Revell one, since you've spoken so highly of it!

1 hour ago, top turret toddler said:

I'm fairly certain this wesbite is a scam. I've come accross a few in the past with prices too good to be true and the website seems to stock everything and anything. You can tell them out by the basic layout of their FAQ, Payment and Returns pages and also the lack of a Contact Us page or any contact information at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

I'm fairly certain this wesbite is a scam. I've come accross a few in the past with prices too good to be true and the website seems to stock everything and anything. You can tell them out by the basic layout of their FAQ, Payment and Returns pages and also the lack of a Contact Us page or any contact information at all.

Well that`s sad to hear. So why isn`t the internet police pulling the plug on them? I tried to google them for reviews before posting but could not find anything on them so was hoping someone would chime in with the latest grapevines. I also tried to figure out their location but to no avail. I`m ever so slightly tempted to place an order with them just to harass them a bit, see what`s cooking. The prices are low enough to entice people to buy something. Can`t say that i ever heard of them before. Have any blacklists here on the forums perhaps?  

23 minutes ago, top turret toddler said:

Well that`s sad to hear. So why isn`t the internet police pulling the plug on them? I tried to google them for reviews before posting but could not find anything on them so was hoping someone would chime in with the latest grapevines. I also tried to figure out their location but to no avail. I`m ever so slightly tempted to place an order with them just to harass them a bit, see what`s cooking. The prices are low enough to entice people to buy something. Can`t say that i ever heard of them before. Have any blacklists here on the forums perhaps?  

I'm not sure if it will be the same people/person behind it but I nearly placed an order on one such website with a weird name in the past. The Airfix Whitley Mk.VII was £11 a kit (£39ish RRP) and I thought it was odd they had every model I could think on their site for way cheaper than RRP. 

It is showing as a secure HTTPS site but there's nothing to say they won't steal your details as soon as you submit an order with them, probably a reason it hasn't been pulled down.

Funnily enough, I can't click the link at all, nothing home. It reminds me of a website I tried to use for some decals I was after. They wouldn't take paypal or my debit card. I should have smelt a rat but being a bit keen on the decals, I used my credit card. Mistake, they took two payments, nothing huge but enough to annoy me more than somewhat. I rang the bank & cancelled my card toot sweet. No response at all to my email to their notification to the sale, but several days later I got a shipped notice & tracking number from China post, eventually, some knock off Raybans arrived. What the heck, did someone there feel bad for me. I'm convinced this was a scam & somehow, they can tailor a response to your search terms. The website I thought I'd used puported to be a French website called Elbionline & like dadinks above, disappeared as soon as I tried to go back to it to get a screen shot of what I though I was buying. Happily the bank refunded my money, possibly more than I deserved for being so daft. The upshot was I bought the decals from Hannants a few months later, what appeared to be unavailable all over was only temporarily OOS. A certain website that has come in for criticism with their unreliability on here had some on ebay, which also never turned up, I got refunded for those too. Good on Hannants. Hopefully your tale will end better @Jeff G

Steve.

10 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

.. It reminds me of a website I tried to use for some decals I was after. They wouldn't take paypal or my debit card. I should have smelt a rat but being a bit keen on the decals, I used my credit card. ...

Steve.

Last week I tried to get an old Dutch Decal sheet and was surprised when I found one. Suffice to say that the website, atpsmx.com, most likely was/is a scam. Never got the decal, but my bank intercepted a couple of attempted payments and locked the card. Should have known better, all communication with the site was via a gmail account.

Why am I writing this? Mostly because I too are interested in getting a Halifax III, but this kit is not available at my usual suppliers and now caution must be exercised.

/Finn

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hopefully your tale will end better

Fortunately for me I saw the second link, Wheels and Wings, which is a store I've purchased from in the past so I went with them again. They're a good one, located a few hours south of me in Toronto. I was wary of dadinks when they had no contact information or location. Glad you got your funds back from the bank! I guess scammers know how desperate us model builders can get! 

• Like 1

Perhaps a new thread is needed for this but does anyone have a list of squadron codes used by Halifaxes? I'm assuming the decals that come with it will be unusable, so it'd be nice to get a new set!

9 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Perhaps a new thread is needed for this but does anyone have a list of squadron codes used by Halifaxes? I'm assuming the decals that come with it will be unusable, so it'd be nice to get a new set!

You probably know this already but with the old Airfix kit you only get radial engines which is not the case with the Revell kit(s). Did you have any preferences regarding this matter?

Edited by top turret toddler

Did you have any preferences regarding this matter?

Not really, I prefer the radials so I’m happy. Either way I’ll still be getting the Revell kit in the future

You probably know this already but with the old Airfix kit you only get radial engines which is not the case with the Revell kit. Did you have any preferences regarding this matter?

Revell produced their Halifax kit in two variants, one with Merlins and the other with Hercules.  But only one per box.  Though some of the optional parts in the Hercules version only apply to the Merlin.

As of now there is an Airfix BIII for sale on a very well known auction site, priced at £15 to start with 2 days to go but no bids so far, so may be worth watching this one or just putting in your max bid? Generally the later you bid on this site the better as folks tend to wait until just before an auction closes, usually with less than 20 seconds to go!

Auction ref' is 203166710425 if you are interested.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Revell produced their Halifax kit in two variants, one with Merlins and the other with Hercules.  But only one per box.  Though some of the optional parts in the Hercules version only apply to the Merlin.

Hi

often wonder if this was a mistake or clever marketing 

i had to buy both to get the parts i wanted

cheers

jerry

p.s.

i have previously used wings and wheels and had no probs, a good shop 

Edited by brewerjerry

3 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Here are RCAF squadron codes that flew the Halifax at one point:

http://www.6bombergroup.ca/squadrons.html

Jari

• Thanks 1