Kreiger Vampyre

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

(What sort of noise does one of these actually make when in flight btw?)

I often wonder myself. This one has an anti gravity unit, with probably a whining noise, and of course there's two small jet engines.

And lets not forget that dirty great rocket engine! All three for take off, Climb to height on the jet and rocket until that runs out of fuel.

Interceptor operations on the jets and then land using anti grav & jets. The jets also power the lift thrusters. So maybe Harrier(ish).

It makes a sort of whooshing sound when flying around the manshed though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just read the whole thread Pete in a binge catch up session, as usual some wonderful work going on here. There is a lot of detail in this little battle waggon and it is all coming together nicely.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

It makes a sort of whooshing sound when flying around the manshed though.

Glad I am not the only one who goes back to his childhood occasionally ...🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Just read the whole thread Pete in a binge catch up session, as usual some wonderful work going on here. There is a lot of detail in this little battle waggon and it is all coming together nicely.

Glad I am not the only one who goes back to his childhood occasionally ...🤪

Lol me too! When building my Y wing my daughter caught me doing little beep bop beep sounds for the R5 droid I was making lol!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stephen W said:

beep bop beep sounds

:laugh: And on that note, how about a little update?

60A4cq2.jpg

LH nose leg showing some greeblies I've fitted. A shocker at the bottom and another similar thingy at the top.

There's a tie down wossname in the middle of the ski. I've also since fitted a thin piece of plastic card under the ski.

Today I made a landing/taxi light which fits just above the lower shocker.

UtkowqO.jpg

And, two split pins, a bit of tube and a couple of tank brackets make up this brace on the RH side.

VFiIQSD.jpg

Now, remember the Minnion tank in the back of the cockpit? I fretted about a pressurized tank in there. So it came out.

And, some bits of card and tank bits made it's replacement. It's avionics, or, an ammo tank for the nose cannon.

25ijnha.jpg

And it looks happy in there. It's since been painted green. 

faVfwey.jpg

Meantime, wing updates for you. On the rear at left here a couple of card bits hold on part of a 1/72nd Stuka Flaperon.

On the front, at right the dark grey bit acts as a fixed leading edge slat. Both add ons increase the wing area a bit. Always a good thing.

Not shown here, but I've made spoilers which fit onto the mesh area on the wing. I'm enjoying adding all these little extras. Can you tell?

v1K8hbP.jpg

I refitted the instrument panel and have fitted the seat & Jockey, because it's time to start building a canopy.

Nothing fancy, mostly flat panels, I hope! There's some plastic card at the back of the cockpit as a start.

Next up is a windscreen, then I'll build the bit in between.

And that should keep things ticking over until the next time. Thanks for looking, and comments etc are welcome.

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 13

Looking at it from the pilots point of view this thing looks terrifying!

I have this image in my head of a couple of blokes  finding the wreck out in the outback.

Bruce says; "Brilliant! Look at all the scrap! We can make a few squids hauling this lot back eh?"

and his partner says: "Nah, hold up mate, if we  fix this back up I reckon we can fly it! C'mon, let's haul it down to old Helmuts junkyard..."

Hmm...

A diorama with an ox drawn cart piled up with Hummel wreckage and a couple of bogan hunters passing a tinnie of 'Old Funnelweb' back and forth while they drive out of the outback...

Right, sorry, got a bit lost there.

Looking good! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Right, sorry, got a bit lost there.

Not a bad idea though. If Kreiger kits were cheaper, then a kreiger junkyard would look good. Or indeed, a cart with a four legged robot pulling it!

Thanks for dropping by, I hope you are jetwashing the customers as they enter the shop?

Houston, stand by to go update. We have contact.

This week I are bin mostly building a canopy (and eating Bourbon biscuits).

So here are half a dozen pictures, along with some words wot I wrote.

uqD8qmk.jpg

And, we have a windscreen. It's from the 1/24th car window spares box, but I don't know what it's original purpose was.

We also have lots of 1mm plastic card, cut into exotic shapes. It may look a bit tall but it obviously has to clear the pilot & seat.

The canopy on the Fledermaus is fairly tall too. So that's my get out excuse. 

JhVgznq.jpg

And, after cutting down the original kit part behind the cockpit, I built the back bit. 

The wooden bits are from a ship kit. Superglue sticks it to the plastic card in seconds.

GUdJm1J.jpg

Oh look, the middle got filled in. None of the canopy parts are glued down yet. It all has to be dismantled.

I'm going to use flat glazing. No vacforming thank you. Anyway, the Fledermaus got away with it.

yxLRtBm.jpg

I used masking tape to make a pattern for the front fairing & copied it onto some very thin card which was then taped into place.

And, your bonus for today, you can see the landing light on the leg. And we now have Canards. I forgot to mention them before.

jKXUElM.jpg

Oh look, it's a lifting girder bridge. Held up by sprue here, but this is the general idea for cockpit access.

And, like a girder bridge, that rear section is fully braced and solid as a rock.

Did you notice that I put white paper in the background to make it easier to see? The things I do. eh?

JEzXvvl.jpg

Aaaand relax. There will be (pretend) hydraulic actuators to that rear deck from underneath to lift the canopy. Probably.

I might just leave it down. Next I need to sort some glazing and retaining strips to hold it in. I do have clear plastic card.

Then, before that's all glued into place, the inside bits of the canopy need a coat of primer and Panzer grey.

So there we are. I hope that my endeavors meet your approval, and we'll all sleep soundly and not fret about it.

Thanks very much for looking and please leave comments under the flowerpot by the front door. Next to the milk money.

Cheers, Merry wossnames. Pete

Warning. Seasonal celebrations may interrupt modelling later next week. By order of the management. Nowt to do with me. 

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Well now.

This is looking a lot less like Bruce and his buddies are building this in a junkyard somewhere I must say.

Finding a wreck and turning it into this little bit of tech would be a bit beyond your average scavver, no matter how well Helmuts junkyard may be stocked.

In fact, I'm beginning to  suspect the military may be involved...

Hmm.

I have suddenly got a mental image of a Falke that actually had been been bashed back together by a couple of hayseed mechanics...

Hey! I have a Falke (and I have to say I was far more impressed with your build than I am with the kit), of course I'd have to wreck it.

Sorry, easily distracted here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Sorry, easily distracted here.

There's a lot of it about.

It's getting a bit cold in the mancave nowadays. I managed to stick the canopy side glazing in place a couple of days ago.

But yesterday, after getting wood for the logburner from my garage, I got distracted by all day Barnwood Builders on DMax.

So nothing model related (except to wrap up a couple of bits to send to other BMers) got done. Terrible, innit?

On 13/12/2020 at 15:43, Pete in Lincs said:

60A4cq2.jpg

LH nose leg showing some greeblies I've fitted. A shocker at the bottom and another similar thingy at the top.

There's a tie down wossname in the middle of the ski. I've also since fitted a thin piece of plastic card under the ski.

Today I made a landing/taxi light which fits just above the lower shocker.

I love your legs!

(You probably get that all the time from admiring onlookers whilst out on your rounds Pete..)

In all seriousness, that is a serious bit of modelling and most convincing as a piece of equipment. Bravo!

Hope Vader Claus bought you some nice presents?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Hope Vader Claus bought you some nice presents?

Scottish falling down water (Laphroaig), Amazon voucher, chocolate and socks (Thick woolly, Winter for the use of). 

So I should be warm inside and out. Cheers, And thanks muchly for the nice words, Pete

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

That's some pretty interesting scratch/kitbashing going on! Looks great, very convincing - steer clear from the Laphroaig when working on it! drinking and model building can have some disastrous results - lol

Cheers

Nick

I don't know ? I once hand painted a canopy on an F6F Hellcat canopy with a whole bottle of Seagrams Canadian Whiskey in me. It was the neatest paint job I ever did do. 

• Haha 3

Thank you kindly, Sir. It's adding all the little bits that make kreiger so interesting. Knowing when to stop is the trick!

I have been working on this, but the festive season and the cold have conspired to limit work to a couple of hours on the odd day here and there.

The canopy is the main point of interest. All the transparent bits are in, and I've been making cover plates/fairings for them and adding filler.

Next up will be rubbing down said panels and filler. Then the windows all need a  good clean/polish before being masked.

The screen/canopy can then be glued into place and that means the next major step will be primer. Woohoo!

More pictures when there is something worth showing. Thanks for looking and a belated happy new year. Pete

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Keep going Pete!

Looking forward to your choice of paint scheme...

It's only the cold that's stopping me! I did an hour or so out there late this morning. I got the canopy & screen cleaned and fitted.

They'll need fairing in with a bit of filler, but that can wait until tomorrow now. It's getting cold again

As for the paint scheme, I also did a bit of preshading, and primer is penciled in for  about Wednesday.

The final scheme will probably be worn and scruffy. I think if they weren't sure if this thing would work, paint wouldn't be a priority.

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind words, Guys. As a reward, here are some pictures I took this morning.

The canopy is all masked up and we are ready for primer. So this is your last chance to play the easy version of spot the greeblie because it's a different colour.

3VQLRsX.jpg

That is the large type Tamiya paint jar to give some scale. 

8722RfD.jpg

The view from the drone. Tip tanks fitted at last and they (& tailplanes) are an equal distance from the ground. So I must have done something right.

yn9DIu7.jpg

Roll over, play dead. 

8fmXajx.jpg

The two round brown circles and the central tankwheel forward of them are the bleedair liftjets to aid the Anti G on take off and landing.

sU62flm.jpg

Flank view. Engine down the intake here and the tip tank angle can be seen.

HzYiUJO.jpg

And with white primer (I'm almost out of grey!) everything merges together as a machine rather than just bits.

PCWHnVJ.jpg

And from further away. I did give the canopy & spine a blast of grey primer to check on the filler around the canopy.

So, that is now drying in the freezer that is the garage. I will probably leave it for a day or two.

Meantime I can have a tidy up of the bench and sort out what I need to do next.

Thanks for looking, comments etc to the usual address. Pete

• Like 10