IL2 Bodenplatte - Disappointed :(

wellsprop

Hi all,

I downloaded IL2 Bodenplatte yesterday and, I'm afraid to say, I've been somewhat disappointed. I've been playing IL2-1946 for a few years now and overall, I'm very happy with the flight dynamics, AI and general flying/combat.

I've done a few flight on Bodenplatte, the scenery and aircraft look absolutely great, as does the weather. However, the first combat I tried left me underwhelmed. I chose to fly the Tempest against 4 FW190-D9's (enemy skill level set to ace) - as I'm used to flying on Xplane 11, I fly with the highest realism/difficulty level. So 1 Tempest against 4 Fw190-D9s, I was obviously going to get plastered. Within 5 minutes, I shot down all four aircraft - I thought this was a lucky fluke, so I tried again - same result.

Am I missing something? It seems incredibly easy, I've done several combats and it's just so easy to shoot down enemy aircraft (regardless of their skill level), I could never manage this in IL2-1946.

The lack of different voices on the radio is disappointing and the stuttering speech is comical. The flight dynamics feel mushy and vague too, almost like GTA. How has IL2 managed to go backwards in the 14 years since IL2-1946?

Oh well, back to IL2-1946!

Ben

I've been reading a number of posts over at the Sturmovik forum( new system/game purchases for me eventually). And I am sorry if I am asking the obvious, but what fuel levels did you give the aircraft?  I've read a number of posts re aircraft not behaving as expected.  Suggestion was drop fuel load to 40% especially if in quick mission.

I am playing modded IL-2 1946, and have come to the conclusion that in real life, it is a good thing that I am not a pilot. haha

60% fuel level in the Tempest. What's confusing me is the Tempest seems too maneuverable whilst dogfighting (but it rolls slower than expected).

The Spitfire IX seems a bit too easy to fly too, it lacks the twitchy elevator. Although it also fails to capture the distinctive twitching/buffeting just before a stall. The Spitfire IX on X Plane 11 does this well and IL2-1946 does it fairly well too. IL2-Cliffs of Dover did a good job replicating the Spitfires handling too and the flying/combat is genuinely challenging in IL2-CoD.

The most frustrating thing with Bodenplatte is how easy it is, despite everything being sat at the hardest possible setting. It seems more like the War Thunder style of game, rather than the older IL2-1946 style of combat simulator - which perhaps isn't a surprise, the former has a larger audience.

@NoSG0, I'm playing IL2-1946 modded too, and I find it very enjoyable. The planes (more or less) fly "right" too (i.e. they can be quite challenging). Actually being able to fly (albeit little light aircraft) makes realism reasonably important to me, otherwise the planes and combat are too easy (hence why I gave up War Thunder after a few games).