Gloster Javelin FAW. 9 - Airfix 1/48

Dave_R

Hi All,

Another biggun from the stash. Between this and the Hunter I really am going to need a bigger shelf.

Javelin+08.jpg

Javelin+07.jpg

Javelin+06.jpg

Javelin+04.jpg

Javelin+05.jpg

Javelin+03.jpg

Javelin+02.jpg

Javelin+01.jpg

Javelin+09.jpg

It looks like a nice kit, I haven't decided on which decals to use yet - either 64 Sqn. or the all High Speed Silver 228 OCU.

Dave.

• Like 9

It's a superb kit and, despite its size, generally easy to put together.  Take care with the front-to-centre fuselage joint alongside the canopy rails or you may wind up losing some detail to the filler- and sander-monsters.  The main undercarriage retraction linkages are a bit of a faff too; nimble fingers, good light and some decent tweezers will pay off here.  Otherwise have fun with it and, if you fancy another one Alley Cat (no afilliation) do a range of conversions for other Mark's and some one-offs.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:38 AM, Dave_R said:

...the all High Speed Silver 228 OCU.

Forgot to say that this one was in natural metal rather than painted. Found a photo of it in my dad's collection after he passed away and the different panel shades are clearly visible :) 

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Forgot to say that this one was in natural metal rather than painted. Found a photo of it in my dad's collection after he passed away and the different panel shades are clearly visible :) 

Thanks for that info. that's made up my mind  - 64 sqn.  it is. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Nice work and at the same stage as mine (though my build thread needs updating).

I'm pleased to see some traces of filler in exactly the same places as on my 23 Sqn - if two of us have minor issues at identical joints it's probably not totally our fault!

Mike

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Col. said:

With that good a silver finish are you sure we can't tempt you into doing the all-over natural metal one? ;)

Oh, no, no.......  I've looked at some pics of XH898 and it's shiny, very, very shiny.

8 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

That's a neat underside Dave, which paint did you use?

It's from Poundland - they do a small range of car paints - grey primer, black, white and silver and as you might expect they cost a pound each.  After the Hunter and Javelin I've got about a 1/3rd of the can left, so it's doesn't go far - but it is cheap and does the job.

Dave.

• Like 1