Handley Page Jetstream 1:72 Airfix (A03012V)

Julien

Handley Page Jetstream

1:72 Airfix (A03012V)

spacer.png

Handley Page developed the Jetstream to fill a niche in the market for a small twin turbo prop airliner for the US market. In order t improve sales in the US the original Turboméca engines were to be replaced by Garrett engines, and this aircraft was ordered by the UASF as the C-10A. It was to feature a rear cargo door with seating for 12 passengers or 6 stretchers. The USAF would eventually cancel these orders due to late delivery. Following the demise of Handley Page the design was picked up by a group of investors headed by Scottish Aviation, and the Company Jetstream Aviation was created. 26 Jetstream T.1s were ordered by the RAF, 14 of these would be modified to T.2s for use by the Royal Navy.  When Scottish Aviation became part of BAe they would continue to develop the design into the Jetstream 31. 

The Kit 

Airfix's kit has been around since 1969 and feature the aircraft with the Garett engines for the USAF examples. The tooling is the old school multi part sprues however the tooling is still good, nice and sharp with no flash. Construction is fairly standard. The cockpit is fairly basic with two seated pilots who are identical,  The completed cockpit fits into the right fuselage half . For the main fuselage a full stretcher fit is included. Once this is all in thee fuselage can be completed and the wings added, these are a single lower wing with left & right uppers, The tailplanes and rudder can then go onto the fuselage, and the engines can be built up and fitted to the wings. The landing gears and doors can be added along with the main rear airstairs door. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals

The small decal sheet with USAF Markings only is by cartograf so there is no issues there.

spacer.png

Conclusion

Whilst I would love to see Airfix release a brand new tool of this aircraft, the tooling on this one is still good, all though it is only really good for the version the USAF never actually bought in the end. 

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Like 1

While looking through my stash the other day I came upon an original kit of the Airfix Jetstream, still in its shrink wrap, and so I opened it up and had a close look at it.  As one would expect the moulding was very crisp, but the decal-sheet was possibly past it.  Because of my medical problem I was undecided what to do, however, while browsing the net I came upon some pictures of a Jetstream in Royal Saudi AF markings with what looked like Airfix kit engines, the fuselage has a different window layout and a thimble nose, but what the heck.  Onwards and upwards.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Might look more like the Airfix kit engines if you turn them upside down.

Hi Graham. That is what I thought when I looked at them, might even get away with 3 bladed props.

• 8 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 3:17 PM, Robin said:

while browsing the net I came upon some pictures of a Jetstream in Royal Saudi AF markings with what looked like Airfix kit engines, the fuselage has a different window layout and a thimble nose, but what the heck.  Onwards and upwards.   

Now, that would be interesting to see especially if it has a desert scheme!

As for the engines while looking at various photos on the web, I noticed that some engines on later Jetstream models looked quite similar to those that the Pucara had. Any thoughts on this?

17 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Now, that would be interesting to see especially if it has a desert scheme!

Sorry, no desert scheme.

18 minutes ago, Shalako said:

As for the engines while looking at various photos on the web, I noticed that some engines on later Jetstream models looked quite similar to those that the Pucara had. Any thoughts on this?

The Astazou engines like the Pucara had were the original fit on them, the Garret engines which the Jetstream 31 & 32 wear came later. It was a viable conversion to use engines from the Airfix Pucara to convert the Airfix Jetstream to a Royal Navy or RAF one, not sure what you were 'sposed to do with your engineless Pucara though? :unsure:

Steve.

17 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

not sure what you were 'sposed to do with your engineless Pucara though? :unsure:

Steve.

Falkland's diorama ?

pucaraianhowat.jpg?w=809

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

As Steve says, you can use the front part of the nacelles from the Special Hobby/Airfix on the Jetstream.

BTW, in 2006 I built a couple of "what-ifs" but of more interest for this thread is the page from an August 1972 issue of Airfix Magazine showing the mods you have to make to the Airfix Jetstream engines. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the article right now but hopefully this will be of help:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 3