Hello everyone... This will be my 2nd entry into the build. Im going with the rather new 1/72 Sword FJ-3 Fury.

wRGfKr0.jpg

I will be building this in my favorite set of markings for the Fury, VF-73 “Jesters.”
khOPRqh.jpg

For this I will be using a combination of Caracal decals and a custom set of decals Ive had commissioned.  qL5nXYI.jpg
These are part of the custom decals, Jesters squadron logo’s in 1/72 & 1/48 and various sizing blue chequers for future builds. nnGfAjD.jpg
Here are the obligatory sprue shots. bL7j9mx.jpg

XcsxuXq.jpg

Im not exactly thrilled with multipart drop-tanks or the butt joint on the tailplanes. I will need to figure out a pin set up for them. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

The model over which I am thinking - to buy or not to buy?  Therefore, I will look behind the build, perhaps she will help me make a decision.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Nice unusual subject choice Dennis and I do like to see someone doing unique markings that are not otherwise available. Sword have a reputation of being short-run to the point of short quality but that seems to be improving so hopefully this is one of their better ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everybody....Im only a couple weeks late to the party but I finally got a start on my two builds tonight. I wont be able to close up the fuselage until Tuesday or Wednesday, its been awhile since Ive done a jet and I Unfortunately realized Im out of the appropriate weights for this one. It will have to go on hold after I paint the cockpit until I get my monthly pay. vNfPw58.jpg

78hAjuC.jpg

I get this is a lesser production company and the FJ-3 Fury is more of a niche subject. But would it really be too much to get two matching fuselage halves ? nFfJD04.jpg

I mean really the port side is slightly larger in diameter compared to the right, thus creating a step along both upper and lower fuselage seams. Not easily visible in this photo below ⬇️ but the port side is also about 1 mm longer front to back, about .5mm on each end.
k7kryJo.jpg

So I will have to grind the whole fuselage down in pretty much every axis and around the intake to get an even match. So much for the faint panel lines ? Thats before I even get to the butt joints that are the horizontal stabs. Though at least Ive got a nice selection of drill bits now so I should be able to get some pins in those. Sadly I will actually build more of these as Im a fan of the FJ series and mid 50’s naval aviation. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thought ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

They can be a lot of work and can be maddingly frustrating at times, but Sword kits build up into quite nice little replicas.  At least you know what your in for, unlike new tool Airfix, that you expect better fit from.

AW

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Col. said:

Looks as if you're in for a fight with this one Dennis. Hopefully there's plenty plastic there to take a good sanding into shape.

Funny thing is its only about 1/4 to 1/2 mm in every size discrepancy ? Shouldn't really be too hard but its just more aggravating. I figure what I’ll do is over scribe all the lines and then remove the excess plastic. 

• Like 1

Hello everyone... Well I hope to pick up some weights tomorrow so I painted the cockpit on this tonight. ifffYn0.jpg

k77W0s0.jpg

5TVVg3t.jpg

The I.Panel is glued in and the fuselage still fits around it. Thank the modeling gods for small miracles. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everyone... Well We are up and moving now on this one. I added the weight, closed up the fuselage and test fitted the wings. Boy Sword really should check there moulds, I have to wonder if they built one of these before sending them out ? The wings had all sorts of interference. 9uf9N3l.jpgI had to chop about 1mm off the inside of the wing gaps just to get it to sit flush at the rear.
eiKVcGV.jpg

I also had to file away a good deal of plastic on the wings to get the fit good.
JdAK4uO.jpg

Sb6PhZF.jpg

Including the dihedral angle, if i didn't grind the wing roots it would be completely flat or even have some anhedral. You can see the fuselage has some lovely gappage on the bottom. At least that wont be seen to much by observers. Again I plan on building a few of these so don't think Im knocking them. I get it they're smaller production of more niche subjects. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Evening everybody... Well I think this is as good as I’ll get the fuselage. 76Nas4W.jpg

OFP6Vnw.jpg

Im onto the wings next, including trying to scratch build the sidewinder mounts. This particular airframe was an FJ-3M and the kit has the indents on the lower wing but no sidewinders or pylons/rails in the kit ? May have to buy an F-86 kit or something else to rob the bits from if I cant scratch build them. I have sidewinders of the “9B” type just need the rest of the stuff.  Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Morning one Morning all... Well the wings are on. Not much about them fit well but file, sand, and grind away and you get this. it0f1qn.jpg

GdtDdcI.jpg

8dUUmCf.jpg
Though the wing-roots look ugly they're actually pretty decent, a little ppp and we’ll be good. Its the bottom rear thats ugly, C5COU2U.jpg

Quite a nasty step on the starboard side fading to a lesser step on the port. Its a good thing I love Furies and no one else makes a -3 in this scale. Oh well now I know whats coming in the next few I build. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Andwil said:

That’s some serious rubber band action there!

AW

It worked though, almost no gaps and good dihedral. Though i will have to fiddle with the underside and the flaps as they're to thick. I tried to sand the insides of the wings trailing edges down before assembly, but they splayed a little with the rubber bands. So the flaps get thick near the wing root. 

• Like 2

Good morning everyone... Well I finally got some bench time tonight, been too busy and not feeling well lately. Ive got the Fury up to painting stage, just need to give it a once over on the scribing and stuff make sure I haven't missed anything. Ce4KsUR.jpg
I was able to drill the stabs out and pin them. 

i47KfFs.jpg

BSpTy1p.jpg

0Ey4CyA.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

You’re beating that thing into submission Dennis 👍

Thanks Im still waiting on the 1/48 Kittyhawk version of the 3M, the 2 Fury is out but not the 3. Until then I’ll have to beat these into submission for my Fury needs. 

Good morning everyone... I was able to get some work done tonight. I did the white on the belly and control surfaces. I will let that cure overnight and clear coat it in prep for masking. I used almost half a bottle of Gunze white to cover the primer coat underneath, that is a lot of paint for such a tiny model. E3hRcfg.jpg

pqosvJy.jpg

Kind of looks a bit like a shark in these photo’s ↕️ doesn't it ? S9jE3Gx.jpg

hAwco2V.jpg

Once I get the Gull grey on this I may halt work until after Christmas. I don't have the bits I need to make the pylons and rails for the sidewinders. I wont be able to do anything about that until Christmas. I suppose I could do without and add them in the future, any thoughts ?  Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5