Renault Magnum heavy haulage

I've said before we have to do a lot of chopping and changing to get what we want in the truck modelling world so here's how it's done...

OK so being as theres only one kit of the Magnum and my client wants a specific vehicle its time to get the razor saw out. His truck is an early Magnum, but the early Italeri kit has the old style wheels and a couple of other undesirable faults. Also I'm going to have to add a tag axle so I get two Magnum kits, a Magnum I and a Magnum II. Apart from the better wheels and tyres, front grille and the dashboard, they are identical. I reckon I can build up the Magnum II with the Magnum I front grille and nobody will be any the wiser. So SHHHH!

This is the vehicle being modelled

spacer.png

Now it has a tag lift axle which means I have to shift the drive axle forward to get the correct wheelbase and then add a tag axle at the back. So I take both chassis and build them up. Then take one and shorten it.

spacer.png

Then I take the rear end of the other one complete with KFS generic lift axle kit and graft it onto the first one taking care to cut in the right places to get the correct axle spread.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now using just the one kit I carry on as per the instructions

spacer.png

I have used both sets of mudguards adding mudflaps from plasticard and a KFS heavy haulage sliding 5th wheel.

spacer.png

More to follow.

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
  • Like 10

• Ryedale Wolf changed the title to Renault Magnum heavy haulage

That’s a great truck to build, a friend has a mk1 mid-lift and I had a drive and it’s a cracking truck. I plan to do a model of his at some point. There is a company in France (arm) that do the suspension in resin (could have saved breaking two kits open) not great quality but OK. I’ll be watching this.

makes me feel old but I remember when the AE was launched 😱

Ooh I like, count me in! I bashed a couple of kits together like this for my second build here to make a Benz hookloader, and I had such fun with it that it got me hooked on truck builds, even though I didn't know the first thing about them 🙂 

And when I say "like this" I actually mean nothing like this because it took me a lot more effort 😆

A great start and I'll be following with pleasure. 

I like truck building, but have no space for them!
However, I am working on the Revell Route master (hardly a truck, but big) and the ERTL International Payhauler 350 (Very big!)

Cheers,

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ryedale Wolf - this build is coming along nicely!  Fun to see the mods to a truck - I recently finished some heavy mods, on a kit to make the Peterbilt 348 4x4 (a heavily modified Pete 359), shown in my icon - or whatever you call the picture on the left.  It also includes a few KFS parts, which are great.  Very interesting to see the work you did on the rear end.  Eventually I'm going to convert a Pete 378 to a 356 or 367 6x6, and will also use a KFS rear end. OK, sorry to go on and on!  Your build looks great and looking forward to your next update!

Cheers

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

OK once the chassis is primed and painted I can now measure the spaces where the two diesel tanks will sit. So I build up the tanks from both kits and then have to cut them both down.

spacer.png

And fitted

spacer.png

Painted the front grille by hand and built up the cab after ensuring I can fit the floor pan in afterwards. Started on the interior too. Had to cut out a section of the floor and reverse it to get the gear lever console in the right place. You can just see it behind the M&G right hand dash.

spacer.png

• Like 1

The red chassis looks great on this one. Also that fifth wheel assembly adds to the realism, I'll keep that one in mind for next time I visit the KFS store. 

• 1 month later...

OK so in between work (no rest for us hauliers) I've pretty much finished the chassis. Also the cab shell is ready and awaiting decals before I can gloss and then glaze it. The cab interior is ready to put into the shell.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
  • Like 5