Bristol Bombay 1/72 Desert RAF Scheme - Valom Kit

Your Bombay's looking great so far Richard.

Shake n' bake kits are nice enough, but there's a certain extra satisfaction that comes from having to work a little bit harder ;).  

• Like 1

I'm pleased with the first attempt with the clearfix. The window on the left is the kit clear window. The window on the right is the Clearfix.

y4mzVDGRcdbEHdv9OdIyxEFwy5V9PXnOHM6z5qsu

A great deal of boring masking was done yesterdfay.

y4m4ZlDZpZmqnHQPGnI4-AD9X53OnLKfnGrbyQwB

I did it when the fuselage halves were separate as I worried about poking the windows in. Just as well as I did poke one in.

A bit of fettling with the seats in the cockpit area was needed as the 2 halves of the fuselage didn't fit together with the seats were they were. Once this was done, the 2 halves did align with only a small banana shape noticable at the front and rear of the fuselage.

y4ma4NiRcC0tJ_FTwDoV12FbQjUf4zbomhA5X1G3

Hopefully the tape will hold it together while it glues.

The landing light needed lots of fettling to get it to fit.

y4m9P2mK43T2u_qRqFpTdTOL-e-wx7id05zV-BId

Next stop, more masking of the canopy and turrets 😕

• Like 7

Nice work with the ClearFix Richard - looks really good :) 

It does take masking once dry, by the way, in case you were worried.

Good idea to mask the windows before join up too - always a pain when one gets poked in!

• Like 1

A lot of masking later....

y4m4ZlDZpZmqnHQPGnI4-AD9X53OnLKfnGrbyQwB

While I waited for the clearfix to dry, I fettled the landing light into place.

y4m9P2mK43T2u_qRqFpTdTOL-e-wx7id05zV-BId

I completed the rest of the masking for the fuselage and dry fitted it. The seats prevented the fuselage joining!

y4mc4Dbpzyou1kD7kGazMkYLzEfuqgm9bfMyGDvA

Lots more fettling and they are glued and joined.

y4ma4NiRcC0tJ_FTwDoV12FbQjUf4zbomhA5X1G3

I left this to dry overnight, undid the masking tape and it came apart immediately.  I re-glued it with the Humbrol Poly and re-masking taped it and left it to dry. It came apart again.... I think it should be the Bristol Banana, not the Bristol Bombay. I then tried some Tamiya Extra Thin along the seams and that has stayed together.... I'll need to do some sanding to remove the excess glue but it is in one piece.

• Like 7

Quite a bit of progress since the last time I posted.

y4mot_5IcLdTYUsVjSBYLwvIS4-ikHtqCZAgW6xl

The wings were a surprisingly good fit. The trailing edges need a bit of filler along with the join at the top.

The tail planes were glued and left to set overnight and have stayed attached. They don't have any extra rods or wires attaching them to the fuselage. It is just a flat join. I hope they hold.

I have continued the masking. The glazing at the front is done and slightly glued to the fuselage. Once the clearfix dries, I'll remove the extra masking tape. Next I need to complete the canopy and rear turret. The pictures don't show you have big this thing actually is!

• Like 9

I've been concentrating on a few other kits I have in build over the last few days but the masking is done. I sprayed the whole plane with Vallejo primer. This took ages! Next up was the azure blue underside.

y4mAJSmbIwyg_EpkvPLxy37KGgk0YF8jMRy_qJzW

• Like 4

I knew I had a photo somewhere of the middle stone covered top and now I've found it....

y4mvNbT6sg5_zrLblVDq6okiQM9sInRbUiWMmiJi

It looks better in the flesh than in the photo. It looks really blotchy on screen but I think It'll look fine as it will look used in the desert sun. The next task is MORE masking for the Dark Earth 😕 I think I will use a whole roll of masking tape on this beast alone!

• Like 7

FWIW: you can add a few extra drops of thinner to the Vallejo DE and with lower pressure (around 10 psi) get in really close. 
It cuts back on overspray, and saves masking ;) That's what I did with the Hampden. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, alt-92 said:

FWIW: you can add a few extra drops of thinner to the Vallejo DE and with lower pressure (around 10 psi) get in really close. 
It cuts back on overspray, and saves masking ;) That's what I did with the Hampden. 

I'll have to try that. I think I'll try it on the Dornier DO17 I have waiting for its masking. I've got some Mr Color Levelling Thinner. Will that do the trick or will it strip the paint off?

1 hour ago, Richard Tucker said:

Will that do the trick or will it strip the paint off?

Don't know what it will do to the paint, but it will gum up your airbrush! Vallejo and Mr Color are not compatible. As I understand it you should use Vallejo's own thinner, Windex or just water. Given its readily available, I'd try water first,

Cheers,

Colin

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 1:05 PM, Richard Tucker said:

I'll have to try that. I think I'll try it on the Dornier DO17 I have waiting for its masking. I've got some Mr Color Levelling Thinner. Will that do the trick or will it strip the paint off?

I tried to paint the Dornier with lower pressure with some Vallejo thinner and I just couldn't get the finish I could get with the masking. It did use less paint and the overall coverage was good but I'm not practiced enough to get the edge I need. More practice is required I think.

• Like 1

Lots of masking later and I sprayed the Dark Earth. 

y4mvmSjLOJhnhZONGvlO-hP9qTwndcJN_wfA0QYm

The next job was the terrifying unmasking including unmasking the windows. These included the Clearfix windows. After about an hour, I had an unmasked Bombay with no incidents of windows popping in or out.

y4mnOELGqSZL_sqivHgZx6j2vN13gQJDFkC4nf8z

The wheels were glued separately and then dry fitted, fitted and fitted again before CA'ing them in place.

y4mnI9Mh8x68iUNfvDSgDdn_6N932KGichzQl7hM

y4mwPGRgeg4UH3ms-3Hx8UhysaZoQomta6E6DzNf

It needs quite a bit of touching up where the masking wasn't quite right but it looks really good and I even got a compliment from the wife about it!

• Like 10

Thank you for the nice comments.

Some more progress and some steps backwards as you'd expect with this sort of kit.

y4mF_dd5ib-78zmCS8Air17eQhlMIh_qZg477n5A

The cockpit and the front glazing / turret are done. The cockpit glazing is attached and I'm pleased with the effort with the masking. The engines are on and are almost painted fully. I need to touch up the exhaust stacks.

The rear wheel just keeps coming off. I think I'll have to drill a little hole and actually get it to sit inside the fuselage rather than flush. The rear turret glazing is in 2 parts and doesn't like sticking together with Clearfix. I'll have another go later.

I've touched up the camo all over and will spray it with gloss varnish later ready for decals.

Anyone got any experience with Valom decals? Are they any good / badly behaved / explode on contact with water like Smer ones do?

• Like 5

I know it's too late but you can save on masking tape by using small pieces for the edges and filling in the remainder of the space with scrap paper. Or even polythene bag offcuts. 

Ive built a few Valom kits and the transfers usually behave themselves. Just make sure the surfaces are nice and glossy and carefully work them into place. They are a little fragile but shouldn't disintegrate. 

Great work on the Bombay. 

Edited by 825
Shouldn't disintegrate not should - doh!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 825 said:

I know it's too late but you can save on masking tape by using small pieces for the edges and filling in the remainder of the space with scrap paper. Or even polythene bag offcuts. 

Ive built a few Valom kits and the transfers usually behave themselves. Just make sure the surfaces are nice and glossy and carefully work them into place. They are a little fragile but should disintegrate. 

Great work on the Bombay. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I've seen the scrap paper technique elsewhere on a GB and I keep forgetting to use it. I've just completed the masking of my Tempest for the Heller GB I now realise that would have been a perfect guinea pig. I will use it when I come to spray the lower surfaces.

• Like 1

I got the longing to start another kit so I got the bit between my teeth and cracked on with all the little jobs to finish off the beast.

The decals went on really well. Some confirmed to the panel lines, others weren't so good.

y4mXRFo9MrmcWTX7pr9uQYQd7YYV_ZxznlMKIwAQ

Maybe some Microset would have helped? I used Microsol on the gloss varnish surface before placing the decal and some on the top after placement. That has worked well in the past, but these roundels are so big!

Canopy glued with Clearfix. Check

Front turret glued with Clearfix. Check The gun needs some more paint on the outside but otherwise, the turret looks good.

Propellors. Check.

Desert Panel Line wash. Check

y4mIHSMTxHXA4_5vt9zFjdEAN9LFGlLhRzZGdVqQ

y4mMtk2jIQXSY7i_9T35Pqj3bT1vOl7pfkmbcdCs

• Like 7

Looking very good Richard, very smart :) 

Micro Sol might help settle the decals - if you're ordering some I suggest you also get some Daco Strong, just in case they need a good seeing to!

• Thanks 1