Heller 1/24 Citroen 15 CV (80763) (Ex-763) - "Circus Clown Car" + + Finished + +

davecov

This is the third of my builds for this Heller GB. It is another Heller 1/24 Citroen 15 CV (80763) and follows my recently completed one:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_066.JP

This is a slightly later boxing to the previous one and as I am away from home at the moment I will post box contents pictures on my return:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_Clown_2020_BM_GB_

Background to this build

When I built the first Citroen CV15, I was having problems with the right-hand mudguard which kept falling off. I joked that it made the car look like a Circus Clown Car where bits are supposed to fall off! Since then I have thought about making this Citroen CV15 as a Circus Clown Car. I haven't worked it all out yet but it will probably be bright yellow and red like this Pinder one and have a windmill, clown figure and "wobbly eyes" headlamps. We will see.

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 7

And why not? You already made a serious looking version (seriously good as well, at that). Something to balance it out should be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with 🙂 

• Like 1

Just a little update. One of the key parts of this build has turned up:

Alas he won't remain looking like this. If things go to plan, his head will be cut off and go on the car roof, his trumpet will go on the body and I may even find a use for his shoes and bow-tie. We will see....

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Rather than duplicate the pictures that I posted in my other Citroen CV15 build, here are the box contents from that build. Parts are made from black plastic with additional sprues for clear, "chrome" and rubber parts. The instruction leaflet from this boxing differs slightly to those shown below.

The body shell:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_002.JP

Sprue 1 - Floor and mudguards:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_003.JP

Sprue 2 - Doors, panels and seats:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_004.JP

Sprue 3 - Suspension and wheels:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_005.JP

Sprue  4 - Engine:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_006.JP

Sprue 5 - Chrome parts. The "chrome" is a bit over the top and will be removed and resprayed with Alclad 2 Chrome:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_007.JP

Sprue 6 - Transparencies. Also shown are rubber tyres and decals:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_008.JP

Instructions Pages 12-1:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_009.JP

Instructions Pages 2-3:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_010.JP

Instructions Pages 4-5:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_011.JP

Instructions Pages 6-7:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_012.JP

Instructions Pages 8-9:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_013.JP

Instructions Pages 10-11:
Heller_24_Citroen_CV15_2020_BM_GB_014.JP

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, fightersweep said:

Hi Dave! Unfortunately, I can't see any any of your photos. I don't know if it's just me or not. What host are you using? 

Steve

Hi Steve, this is caused by you using either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers. They are blocking the display of images from some domains which they say are insecure. My images are on my domain. To see my images you will need to adjust your browser settings.

Go to the Britmodeller Home Page (https://www.britmodeller.com) . There will either be a padlock or a warning that the site is insecure alongside the URL:
Chrome_1.jpg

Click on the padlock or not secure warning to access the Site Settings:
Chrome_2.jpg

On the next page, you will see all of the settings for the site (in this example www.tapatalk.com) but it should read www.britmodeller.com. Click on the "Privacy and Security" link on the left of the page:
Chrome_3.jpg

Scroll down the page and in the right hand column, set "Insecure content" to "Allow".
Chrome_4.jpg

You should now see the images. NOTE: Be careful about which sites you allow insecure content and if you are not sure about giving permission, then DON'T.

NOTE: I have now moved my images to a secure domain (https://www.davecov.org) and the above instructions are no longer needed to see my images.

Turning to this build, I have finally managed to spend a few hours on it.

All "chrome" parts were soaked in Domestos Bleach to remove the "chrome":

Parts were rinsed in water and are ready for cleaning up:

All parts were cleaned up and these do not require any filler:

The other parts were full of ejector pin marks and have been filled:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another update.

Whilst waiting for the filler to dry, I took some drastic action with Papo:

All patches of filler were sanded back:

Assembly is underway with the engine block and suspension started on. I had thought of jacking up the rear axle a bit but decided against it in the end:

Work should continue at an increasing pace for a while at least.

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 2

A lot more has been done since my earlier post today.

The engine bulkhead/firewall has been glued and pedels fitted. The rear bench seat was also glued but I paid particular care to get this positioned right as previous experience showed problems when fitting the inner sides of the rear wheel arches:

Once the engine bulkhead/firewall had dried, I fitted the two other bulkheads complete with engine mounts:

Still a lot of parts dossing around but some of them have been glued together:

The brackets for the bumpers were glued in place as were the horns:

The handles were fitted to the doors, boot and bonnet halves. I also fitted the strips along each door:

On the inside, I have glued inner wheel arches along with their shock absorbers:

Turning to the engine block, I have glued the mounts for the suspension and one of the drive shafts. This makes fitting the tie rod much easier if the second drive shaft is glued in place at the same time:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks, Adrian. You are not wrong about the ejector pin marks. Unfortunately, I am a bit OCD and fill them even though they won't be seen! I can't bear the thought of unfilled ones lurking inside!

Dave

• Like 1

More progress today.

When I made my other Heller 1/24 Citroen CV15, I had a right old job getting the door panels into place. They come as one piece and are angled both horizontally and vertically. To make things easier  this time (I hope), I have cut each panel into four sections:

Painting time. A lot of the car and interior is going to be red or yellow and so I sprayed a white primer/microfiller first:

I also sprayed a black undercoat to those parts that will be either black or chromed (most of these parts are out of shot):

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 11:41 PM, davecov said:

You should now see the images.

Drat, didn't work for me. I'm on Chrome. All I get now is a big black box with a tiny white box in the centre.

I'll have to imagine how good the build is. :clown:

• 2 weeks later...

After almost two weeks away from my modelling bench I was able to make progress last night.

It was time to get the red paint out. I thought of using Humbrol H220 Gloss Ferrari Red but in the end I went for Humbrol H19 Gloss Bright Red. Wheel hubs, headlamps, bumpers and a bow-tie were done first:

The mudguards were next:

The seats were also done:

The red parts were left overnight but today I noticed a blemish on the left rear mudguard. It was sanded down ready for a respray:

Three sets of wheel hub halves were glued into the tyres. One of the hubs needed a bit more red paint and went back to the paint shop:

This is where I needed ten pairs of hands. One half of the frame was fitted along with the tie-rod:

Once that had dried I glued the frame at the top end and clamped:

The other part of the frame was glued and clamped. The radiator was fitted and this part of the assembly is complete. When I made my last Citroen CV15 I added some more of the engine components before fitting to the chassis and had to rip them off. This time I am keeping to the order of construction shown in the instructions:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 5

Another painting session done this afternoon.

Having done some of the red painting, I turned to the yellow. I decided that I would use Humbrol H154 Matt Insignia Yellow both inside and out but wasn't too impressed with it at first:

A second coat looked better and I did think about alternatives but after three coats in all, it looked fine. When it comes to the exterior, I will use a fresh tin:

The seats have been fitted and the pedals painted black. I am quite pleased with the contrast of the colours and hope the exterior will be as good:

The engine was glued to it's mounts too but the wheels are dry-fitted:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 3

Glad you like it so far.

Now a little more progress to report. I masked up the bodyshell and front mudguards and sprayed on some white primer/filler:

I then gave them a coat of H154 Matt Insignia Yellow. As it turned out, this "new" tin was a half-used tin but I gave it a go. I will need to apply about four coats before I am happy with it though:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 4

Another little update.

I wasn't happy with the replacement H154 Matt Insignia Yellow so I went back to the original tin and mixed a new batch. It has gone on a lot better. I think the fluctuations in the coverage may have been caused by extremely low temperatures over the past few days which led to a significant amount of snow outside. This latest coating is better but I think another two coats at least will be needed:

I'll be glad to get through this "banana" phase as the yellow painting is holding up the rest of the build.

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 4

Sometimes I feel like I've been getting nowhere but at last I can report I have cracked the yellow.

I gave the bodyshell another coat of H154 Matt Insignia Yellow but decided I wouldn't put any more matt coats on:

Instead, I gave the bodyshell a single coat of H69 Gloss Yellow which brightened things up no end. I removed the masking tape and now have to sort out the bleed of the yellow at the back:

Close up of the boot area. As you can see, there is quite a build up of paint along where the masking tape edges were and some of the yellow is a bit tatty. Once I have sanded down the edges and other blemishes, I will give everything a fine sanding and respray the red and yellow:

Turning away from the bodyshell, the hub caps have been sprayed Chrome and fitted to the wheels:

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 3

Thanks. 👍

Unfortunately, having five builds on the go at the same time has meant this one has been ignored for a week. However, now that three of those builds have been completed, I am able to get back on the case.

Masking time as I get ready to deal with the bleeding of yellow on the red paint:

Now that is sorted, I have to deal with a slight bit of bleeding of red on the yellow but that won't be done yet as the red needs time to cure:

Time to fix the door panels in place. I had cut the single large door panel part into four smaller sections as I found when I built my last Citroen CV15 that the larger piece caused a lot of problems:

The rear door panels have been done as well and I must say that the results are much better than my previous build. You can see the lip around the window opening which will prevent the windows from falling through when they are glued in place:

After fitting the door panels, I dry-fitted the rear seatback to check it's fit which is fine but it won't be glued until the interior has been resprayed:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 1

Another update.

The rear view mirror and dashboard were fitted:

The interior was given a coat of yellow and the wheel arches painted matt black:

The front end got a painting of matt black too:

Almost ready for the glazing to be fitted:

The painting has been completed and it is now a case of fitting the remaining kit parts. However, I am still working on some extra bits and bobs to add to give it even more of a "clown" look.

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 6