Spitfire XIV Nav lights again?

Olmec Head

I am looking to build a 'low-back' (I am never sure if I like that term) Spitfire XIV of 273 Sqn in Jan 46 in the current Vietnam War GB. 

1-Burma Spitfire units-page-001

Can anyone point me at the threads on the underwing and under fuselage Nav lights please? I am not sure if the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XIV has the underneath light in the right place between the wings or if it should be in a further aft position.  Equally, I cannot remember if whether  the under wing lights were fitted to the XIV.

Pretty sure that both the standard and clipped wingtips on the Mk XIV had nav lights as well as a downward ID lamp under each wing between rib 18-19.  I don't think they had an ID lamp under the fuselage,but I could be wrong on that detail. See the link to a scale drawing of the Mk XIV underside that shows the ID and nav lights. You could also look for Mk XIV walkarounds, but be careful, as many restored Spitfires have had the downward ID lights removed and plated over, as they are not required anymore.

Mike

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=11281&p=231695

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/115461-spitfire-mk-xiv-discussion-thread/

The only clipped wing Spitfire that came from the factory that didn't have nav lights was the Mk XII. Some field applied clipped wing fairings (usual wood) usually didn't have nav lights. The Mk XIV in the photo above definitely has nav lights and by the look of other wartime shots that are clearer they would have been coloured lenses rather than coloured bulbs. The downward I.D. lamp was fitted on the centreline roughly in line with the rear of the radiators. The underwing I.D. light/s is a problem as structural drawings show a light, the drawing referred to by 72 modeller above has two lamps (one in each wing), the SAM book shows only one lamp under the stbd wing and the 1/48 Airfix Mk XIV has no underwing lamps. I'm not sure about the drawing in the post above as while it shows lamps under each wing it doesn't show one under the fuselage (which definitely should be there). Drawings should always be treated with some suspicion and I should know because I was a draugtsman for 47 years. Regarding the original question, try and find a photo if you can. HTH

TRF

Reco light under each wing (red port side , green st'board)

spacer.png

amber under fuselage

spacer.png

about clipped wingtip, there was metal wingtip with nav light and wood wingtip without light....

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies Gentlemen.  I had alook through my various photos and realised I did have a picture of the lowback (grr) Spitfire XIV at Hendon museum before it was sent unaccountably to the States.

IMG_2375a 1

This obviously has the underwing lights.  I should have looked at this first!  I actually tried to photo underneath the Aircraft as well for some photos (it was in 2015) as it was quiet, but a member of staff quite rightly stopped me.  

So it looks like wing lights in respective colours and the underneath fuselage light in the usual mid wing point section.  I mention the fuselage light as I think Edgar posted sometime ago that it was moved for Spitfire VIII frames to a more aft position.  

• Like 1

As a Spitfire... err, wanna-be-boffin, I don't mind the term "high/low back".  I know that Supermarine referred to it as "RV" (rear view), but I'd like people to understand what I'm trying to say.  Actually, just to be difficult, I often say something like "Spitfire XIV RV ("low back")..."

As long as you agree that the low-back (oh, there I go again!) XIV is the hot-roddingest of them all, we'll get along fine.

bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, fastterry said:

The downward I.D. lamp was fitted on the centreline roughly in line with the rear of the radiators.

Thanks, I stand (bow) corrected! I kinda thought that the XIV had this light, so was surprised by its omission in the drawing I posted; I will freely admit it was late at night and I was too lazy to go upstairs and check my reference library and folder on the XIV/XVIII to see about the light under the fuselage. (Yes, @Moa, I've got folders, too!) :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 1

The term "tear-drop canopy" seems to fit the bill, whereas the more common "bubble" is needed elsewhere in the lineage.  You can use "faired canopy" for the earlier ones.  Just don't use "razor back".

As for "rag wing" for Hurricanes, there is a special section of hell reserved for users of that atrocity.