Jump to content

RFM Chally 2 - A N00b's journey :)


Mippie
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey,

 

Sorry for anyone following this thread. It's the weekend so that mean I have actual time to work on this project, which for you lot means I'm gonna be spamming updates in here  🤣 Especially as I feel my way through this first attempt at AFV modelling and painting, and try out a number of techniques ive never done before.

 

Thus, in the spirit of the above statement, here are some progress shots from yesterday on the chipping. Today I do the pin washing (hoepfully).

y4mieVvvXqNM-3TT_hq9PL8sCVk7fVSPAnjNpnn_

y4mx0Ai5gKo7JdiAZPoD6QJ1myjenxiHTu-CL2j8

 

As you can probably tell, I started wit the bottom skirt hence why those are a bit more unrefined. I hope my idea of chipping first then pin washes and colour modulation works....

 

A little update (instead of a whole new post). Got the pin washing done, perhaps next time I might try and make the umber a little less strong. I appreciate it makes the vehicle look quite war weary, but I don't think thats a bad thing, given I am intending to model is vaguely on the Iraq war, which was obviously quite a varied theatre. Let me know what you think 🙂

y4mhwWIJ5qK26HOTXjcF1jouvyZahb-8yGklTCNS

y4mCBjRVffh0RI2X_5pYMVazzp18VNI_qKonxx8R

 

Cheers,

Mipps

Edited by Mippie
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right, people of Brit Modellers I need your help!!!

 

How the hell does colour modulation work? I tried to give it a go and all I managed was smearing a mish mash of colours on panels, wiping all the modulation colours off or completely undoing my pin wash.

 

As a result I binned that idea for now,  but definitely want to try again. I must be missing something, so please, give me knowledge haha.

 

Cheers,

Mipps

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mippie said:

Right, people of Brit Modellers I need your help!!!

 

How the hell does colour modulation work? I tried to give it a go and all I managed was smearing a mish mash of colours on panels, wiping all the modulation colours off or completely undoing my pin wash.

 

As a result I binned that idea for now,  but definitely want to try again. I must be missing something, so please, give me knowledge haha.

 

Cheers,

Mipps

Isn't it about putting down a few different coats with an airbrush  starting with a base darker colour then over spraying  with less pressure a slightly lighter shade  finished of with a slight highlight shade?   I might be wrong as I have neve rdone it.

 

Erk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ERK said:

Isn't it about putting down a few different coats with an airbrush  starting with a base darker colour then over spraying  with less pressure a slightly lighter shade  finished of with a slight highlight shade?   I might be wrong as I have neve rdone it.

 

Erk.

This is how I see it. It is quite fun to do and teaches airbrush control but can be easy to overdo. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ERK said:

Isn't it about putting down a few different coats with an airbrush  starting with a base darker colour then over spraying  with less pressure a slightly lighter shade  finished of with a slight highlight shade?   I might be wrong as I have neve rdone it.

 

Erk.

 

21 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

This is how I see it. It is quite fun to do and teaches airbrush control but can be easy to overdo. 

 

Sorry both, I should have been more specific, and might have used the wrong term! 

 

I was referring to the process where I see people put oil dots on panels then wipe them (or something) and they shade/tint the panels. 

 

I tried it but achieved nothing other than wiping the pin wash off

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mippie said:

 

 

Sorry both, I should have been more specific, and might have used the wrong term! 

 

I was referring to the process where I see people put oil dots on panels then wipe them (or something) and they shade/tint the panels. 

 

I tried it but achieved nothing other than wiping the pin wash off

For a start off, if you've already done a pin wash, then you have to seal it in with a coat of acrylic varnish. Otherwise, you'll ruin all that you've done before. You'll probably find that what you were doing before was OK. You just need to seal in any step that you've done before moving on to the next step.

 

John.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

For a start off, if you've already done a pin wash, then you have to seal it in with a coat of acrylic varnish. Otherwise, you'll ruin all that you've done before. You'll probably find that what you were doing before was OK. You just need to seal in any step that you've done before moving on to the next step.

 

John.

Oohhhhh doh! That makes more sense. So seal with a varnish then try the oil modulation again.

 

Makes sense, I'll give that a go!

 

Cheers,

Mipps

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Makes sense, I'll give that a go!

Yes but don't mix it up with modulation. That's a totally different process, involving spraying.

 

John.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes but don't mix it up with modulation. That's a totally different process, involving spraying.

 

John.

Yeah, I did a bit of modulation pre-pin wash with recess shading and highlighting on the main panels.

Thanks for the advise :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yah - give it a satin coat before you do the oil dots otherwise the enamel thinner you use on them will ruin the coat below. 

 

Re modulation, (and in this i mean post-shading modulation not pre) the best way to approach it (i find) is go dark to light. Looking at your pics above you've already done this but for the benefit of any noobs reading this, this is how i do my modulation. 

 

So you spray your base coat, let it dry. Important to do that as layers on top of wet-ish paint can crack. 

 

When your base coat is down and dry, take the same colour and add a drop of Iraqi Sand if you're using Vallejo or Buff / Deck Tan if you're using Tamiya. Turn your pressure down to 10-12 but don't over-thin it as it doesn't go down well if too wet. Then get in close to your flat surfaces and really gently spray the flat areas and exposed edges lightly with the lighter shade. Rinse repeat getting lighter and lighter until you're happy. 

 

Trick is to stop right at the point where you start to wonder if its too much, not after. I find when fully assembled and with weathering and washes, filters added, etc the modulation is always slightly too subtle even if it looks too much when you're doing it. 

 

Ive seen some guys do the lightest shade through a mottle template on the flat areas to simulate sun bleaching but thats mainly on aircraft and I'd struggle to imagine using that on 1/35 tanks but i'm sure some do. 

Edited by BringUpThePIAT
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes but don't mix it up with modulation. That's a totally different process, involving spraying.

 

John.

 

1 hour ago, BringUpThePIAT said:

Yah - give it a satin coat before you do the oil dots otherwise the enamel thinner you use on them will ruin the coat below. 

 

Re modulation, (and in this i mean post-shading modulation not pre) the best way to approach it (i find) is go dark to light. Looking at your pics above you've already done this but for the benefit of any noobs reading this, this is how i do my modulation. 

 

So you spray your base coat, let it dry. Important to do that as layers on top of wet-ish paint can crack. 

 

When your base coat is down and dry, take the same colour and add a drop of Iraqi Sand if you're using Vallejo or Buff / Deck Tan if you're using Tamiya. Turn your pressure down to 10-12 but don't over-thin it as it doesn't go down well if too wet. Then get in close to your flat surfaces and really gently spray the flat areas and exposed edges lightly with the lighter shade. Rinse repeat getting lighter and lighter until you're happy. 

 

Trick is to stop right at the point where you start to wonder if its too much, not after. I find when fully assembled and with weathering and washes, filters added, etc the modulation is always slightly too subtle even if it looks too much when you're doing it. 

 

Ive seen some guys do the lightest shade through a mottle template on the flat areas to simulate sun bleaching but thats mainly on aircraft and I'd struggle to imagine using that on 1/35 tanks but i'm sure some do. 

Thanks both! Another question on this, I've already gloss varnished for the pin wash, would just slap another coat of gloss/satin straight over that, or matt it then gloss/satin again?

 

Cheers,

Mipps

Edited by Mippie
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Thanks both! Another question on this, I've already gloss varnished for the pin wash, would just slap another coat of gloss/satin straight over that, or matt it then gloss/satin again?

 

No, not matt varnish. If you do that, the wash will just spread out as it seems to absorb it. Gloss or satin for all procedures. Matt should be the final stage, as that's the finish that you want if you are applying pigments.

 

John.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

No, not matt varnish. If you do that, the wash will just spread out as it seems to absorb it. Gloss or satin for all procedures. Matt should be the final stage, as that's the finish that you want if you are applying pigments.

 

John.

okie dokie - thanks Bullbasket. So give it another blast of Gloss/Satin to seal the pin wash, do the filters (or whatever the proper term for this is 😉 ) then when I am finished with all oil based stages I hit it with a matt varnish to remove the shine and lock everything in?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mippie said:

okie dokie - thanks Bullbasket. So give it another blast of Gloss/Satin to seal the pin wash, do the filters (or whatever the proper term for this is 😉 ) then when I am finished with all oil based stages I hit it with a matt varnish to remove the shine and lock everything in?

 

Got it👍.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mippie said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my stupid questions

No question is stupid; they're just an excellent way of finding out stuff we don't know yet. We all have to learn and the modelling experts here are great at helping us newbies.

I ask "stupid questions" a lot.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2021 at 5:03 PM, Mippie said:

okie dokie - thanks Bullbasket. So give it another blast of Gloss/Satin to seal the pin wash, do the filters (or whatever the proper term for this is 😉 ) then when I am finished with all oil based stages I hit it with a matt varnish to remove the shine and lock everything in?

Spot on, yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read on a Large Scale Planes thread that Naples Yellow oil-paint, applied in very thin, diluted layers gives most colours a faded, washed-out look. Must admit I've not tried it myself, but the original poster swore by it. 

 

Hope this helps.

 

Chris. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks both!

 

Normally I would be updating this thread as it was the weekend which is normally hobby time, however my daughter was born on Saturday so things are a little busy right now 😃

 

Hopefully I will be able to get back to it soon as the little lady settles down 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mippie said:

my daughter was born on Saturday

Congratulations on your family's happy event! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Mippie said:

my daughter was born on Saturday

This is a great event, congratulations!

Hard, but the most pleasant days are waiting for you! 

 

Vytautas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...