RFM Chally 2 - A N00b's journey :)

Mippie

Hi All,

So this is my first time posting (should probably have done an intro but meh, this will be a bit of both I suspect). I started out like many young kids, finding my dad's old oil based paints (can't remember the brand) and then liberally slapping them on some small scale spitfires and hurricanes. I mostly did aircraft in a horrible, talentless, blotchy manner....ruining many a good kit before inevitably getting bored and drifting away. Then I fell face first into the world of wargaming, primarily Warhammer fantasy and 40k (BOOO, HISSS 😛 ) and have spent the last 20 or so years consumed with various systems and genres including warhammer, infinity, bolt action and flames of war/team yankee. However despite this I always had an interest in all things WW2 and Modern including the relevant AFV's for those periods for the UK and Germany. This was reinforced by friends and family being in the military, living in smallsbury right next door to the Plain and spending many a summer holiday daytrip at Bovington...Fast forward to today and during the first lockdown youtube randomly reccommended a scale modeller by the name of "Night Shift" and I got hooked watching his stuff. I am what is considered a hobby butterfly, in that i flit from project to project and system to system based on whims. As i spiralled down the black hole of scale modelling youtube videos I became convinced I wanted to try my hand again.....so.....here we are, the UK on the eve of another month long lockdown and that was all the excuse I needed!

So, I made my way down to the local non GW Hobby shop with an idea to pick up either a Leopard 2A something or a Chally 1/2 in 1/72 or 1/48 to cut my teeth. Problem was that they didn't have anything for those tanks at that scale, and then upon going home dejected and googling, I realised there wasn't much for those vehicles in that scale (that I could find). What I did find was that kits for those vehicles was in 1/35 scale and my mind remembered seeing a Chally 2 TES kit at the shop. So google was engaged to see if I could find any interesting pictures of Chally 2's with their TES and ended up finding the below (which I am sure EVERYONE has seen a million times at this point):

y4mz0nqlUtbvQKEHBtvXUDfJxjBTq2aS16SmBO6i

And then found a number of other reference pics of similar in Iraq:

y4mkxYTOQYOgmB6hO89RbVD1uyoIvZ6XXm0flG92

y4mvot4b7XEqAytVyPYvfPQO9y344tMVlLlp_FaA

y4msPtvicu700oZbXNg0YeyAD1YMHc7vEqQCbDNR

Following this, with the Hype Train having well and truly pulled out of the station I rushed back down to the shop (remembering he was open until 8pm) and purchased the titular kit, cracked it open and made a start. Nothing super interesting to show so far apart from instantaneous anxiety relating to the fit of pieces and how TEEENY TINY some of the brass etching is 🤯  Also, because I have poor impulse control I purchased a set of metal tracks and I am not sure if that was the right thing to do as a "first" scale model 🤣

y4mKlV_lEWkexb_oWg6udYoUyRQjhEYaPUzuPwOF

y4m5wisjjsAD6YAh1yvH9xqaWJYLWdn0l8F9uO87

As such, you are all cordially invited to participate and follow my descent into madness as I tackle something I have never done before, in a scale I have never worked with and with an intended final result I have never attempted.

Cheers,
Mips

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

I've no knowledge of this kit, as it's too modern for me, but there are plenty on here who will be more than happy to help you out with any queries that you might have. Good luck with your build.

John.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Thanks all :) I will probably be putting stupid questions and asking for advice fairly regularly :D

Well I've not been on the armour forum very long but the help and support is second to none, the knowledge base is massive and someone will always have the answers you require. Good luck with your build and above all enjoy yourself 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Andy J said:

Well I've not been on the armour forum very long but the help and support is second to none, the knowledge base is massive and someone will always have the answers you require. Good luck with your build and above all enjoy yourself 🙂👍

1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

I will probably struggle with this model in the future so I will be watching.

Haha, I am struggling with it now, so I can show you what not to do hah!

3 hours ago, ivan-o said:

I will follow this build with great interest 👍

Thanks, i really enjoyed your Chally Mk1 build thread, loads of great things in there, I can only hope I can get somewhere near what you achieved

Soooooooo.....Time for my first question all. As a complete scrub I have run face first into my first bit of Brass etch, how in the hell do I bend these to shape? Also, I assume I bend in towards the score lines? So what tips can you share for keeping nice crisp edges and corners?

• Like 1

I'm Building the same model, at the moment, but also have the Upgrade pack.

So far, I've assembled the Hull running gear. It's a nice kit so far, but I'm now trying the Kit tracks. There's a lot of clean up required and the pin assembly pieces seem to be quite brittle.

A PE bending tool would be a good investment (if you continue modelling), or a steel ruler to hold flat and blade to bend (as ivan-o suggested).

Will be looking on with interest and can post Pic's of things if needed.

Good luck

Paul

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

I assume as with me you haven’t got a bending tool, so I either hold it flat and bend upwards with a blade or hold it with fine tweezers and then bend it!

Welcome to the fun😀

Correct, no bending tool as it's my first time :D - I will give it a try with other solutions!

25 minutes ago, diases said:

I'm Building the same model, at the moment, but also have the Upgrade pack.

So far, I've assembled the Hull running gear. It's a nice kit so far, but I'm now trying the Kit tracks. There's a lot of clean up required and the pin assembly pieces seem to be quite brittle.

A PE bending tool would be a good investment (if you continue modelling), or a steel ruler to hold flat and blade to bend (as ivan-o suggested).

Will be looking on with interest and can post Pic's of things if needed.

Good luck

Paul

You mad man!!!! I looked at a review of the upgrade saw that it was individually building the bar armour and noped the hell out!

Otherwise I had an evening of doing some build and it is very slow right now. Probably my lack of familiarity with these types of kit so things are being done one piece at a time as opposed to a warhammer kit where I snip all and go for it! Had 4 panic moments as my fat sausage fingers resulted in my dropping some teeny tiny pieces onto my biege carpets, i also learned that those same sausage fingers are not up to the task of placing some pieces so had to break out some tweezers....i live and learn! 🤣

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Otherwise I had an evening of doing some build and it is very slow right now. Probably my lack of familiarity with these types of kit s

I'm having the same issue wit Dragon kits, right now lol.

Tamiya, you know that all the turret parts are on one sprue... Same with hull parts and running gear parts.

Dragon's parts are all over the map lol.

I just use tweezers and a blade to bend small PE parts. 

• Like 1

did a few mins at lunch after the PE advice and got the couple of PE bits folded and attached. They arent straight which is bugging me, but I don't know how visible that will be on the final model...also, the "upside down" instructions have been seriously messing with my monkey brain!

Quesiton -Jerry and water cans, are these generally just the same Green as the rest of the vehicle (in the UK) or are they different? I am wondering whether to leave the Jerry cans off to paint seperately

y4mGN5G9fX28nXAWcFJHBsq7kwDK6oN_F40kZiqa

y4mtKSkf1schouBifRzBD5J8nd8IzkJeQ_Zae4AI

• Like 7

Cheers for the info about the fuel cans. Had couple of busy days at work but managed to crack on over the weekend and get the lower hull progressed. Hopefully I am out of the "upside down instructions" purgatory! I was umming and aaahhing about cutting the little nubs that locate the suspension arms to allow some movement, but i figured that for a first model I wouldn't try a complicated diorama with funky suspension settings :)

y4mYIFO4kTOCo5elY1Z_IiuIxeVmSTnIkq8kfuo7

y4mmYqiA2Oe5VEW3tyegnnt_SjQU7JENKB-xl7xr

y4msjH0QXnaVL1tAYcpgwLFpS0y3VG_afzf4mvPw

And, a most exciting/daunting parcel arrived....

y4mfmqlMgB5PyKUy6cnFoO1YtaGQ9_t1VKRsLtMD

• Like 9

On 08/11/2020 at 15:32, Alpha Juliet said:

I'm in on this one too - as I have it in my stash!

Cheers - quite enjoying the kit so far!

On 08/11/2020 at 17:03, Bullbasket said:

Don't worry about them. They are very easy (and rewarding) to assemble. Great progress.

John.

For the metal tracks, do you ever secure the pins or do you rely on friction?

On 08/11/2020 at 17:14, ivan-o said:

Good progress 👍 I usually do the tracks in runs of ten so they don’t get out of hand and easy to count your track links.

HTH 

Ivan

Looks good  so far  have a trumpeter challenger 2 with bar armor in stash but my head would explode with all that fine Intricate PE stuff. I take my hat off to anyone who can use it   
the kit looks awesome