Howard Ike DGA-5 help sought

bigbadbadge

Hi all

Is there any kindly soul out there in the BM collective  that has an image or two of the cockpit for the above.  I can't seem to locate any cockpit images just images of the Airctaft overall.  I imagine not much will be seen through the small opening though anyway.

Thanks in anticipation 

Chris

@bigbadbadge

Chris,

You might try contacting Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight website, as he has a flyable replica DGA-5, and might have some cockpit photos; I would imagine that the cockpit would be pretty close to the actual Ike, with maybe modern instruments/radio fit. Worth a try, perhaps? The Howard aircraft website didn't have any interior photos, but that's a pretty small cockpit opening, so doubtful anybody thought to document the interior. Good luck- it's a handsome little racer. Perhaps @Moa  has a folder on this one, as he's pretty fond of racing/record-setting aircraft to model and does very thorough research on all his modeling projects. Best I can do- sorry!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

If you have no luck with the DGA-5, the DGA-4 was reckoned to be a similar aircraft, the main difference being the undercarriage. There's some useful stuff here: Link and here: lisms-ipms.org

You want their Newsletter Vol.22, No3.

These are for the DGA-4 but may be better than nothing.

Dave

Edited by Fastcat
Missed a bit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Perhaps @Moa  has a folder on this one, as he's pretty fond of racing/record-setting aircraft to model and does very thorough research on all his modeling projects.

Esteemed ones:

Do have a folder on that and other variants, do not have cockpit views or info.

I think the interior was filled up solid and they just screw-in a pilot's head, like in those old Airfix kits.

Nervous of California

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

You might try contacting Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight website, as he has a flyable replica DGA-5, and might have some cockpit photos; I would imagine that the cockpit would be pretty close to the actual Ike, with maybe modern instruments/radio fit. Worth a try,

Thanks Mike that sounds like a great idea. Thank you

57 minutes ago, Fastcat said:

Hi Chris,

If you have no luck with the DGA-5, the DGA-4 was reckoned to be a similar aircraft, the main difference being the undercarriage. There's some useful stuff here: Link and here: lisms-ipms.org

You want their Newsletter Vol.22, No3.

These are for the DGA-4 but may be better than nothing.

Dave

Yanks Dave , looked at the first link previously some cracking info there.  Will look at the Long Island IPMS page to check it out thank you. 

30 minutes ago, Moa said:

Esteemed ones:

Do have a folder on that and other variants, do not have cockpit views or info.

I think the interior was filled up solid and they just screw-in a pilot's head, like in those old Airfix kits.

Nervous of California

No worries Fella, thank you anyway , don't be nervous, if I find some images I will pass on to you!!!

Oh you're nervous because of the other think going on at the moment!!!

Thank you all for your suggestions,  I appreciate that very much and will try and follow up. 

From what I have seen so far, I belive the coaming around the cockpit hinges to stb and there is a frame inside of that.  

Chris

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moa said:

I wish there was some "think" going on at the moment. But thinking is not what Dictator Stoopid promotes, precisely. Quite the opposite.

like Wiley Coyote's sign outside his cave?

"Wiley Coyote

Jeenus at work"   ? 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Moa said:

I wish there was some "think" going on at the moment. But thinking is not what Dictator Stoopid promotes, precisely. Quite the opposite.

Bloomin predictive text, yes quite shocking . I could not believe what I heard and saw this morning on the news.  

Chris 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, uncletommy said:

Here's a blog post from Kermit Weeks about his "Ike".  It's got a picture of the panel on his reproduction in the post.  Check out some of his other posts about cramming himself into the cockpit and flying the thing.  🤯

Thank you that is brilliant, I saw this and started going through it and got distracted before I got to the cockpit image( that's my excuse anyway). @Moa will be pleased with that image too.  It certainly is very helpful. 

Thanks 

Chris