1/72 BOAC Boeing 707 Speedbird

I'm sorry to have missed this build so far!  You're working hard on this, and I don't want to slow your progress, but happy to offer advice as you need it, having built two of these.  What is your plan for the engine nacelles/pylons?  I ask, because the parts' fit is not exactly precise, and you'll really want to check/double-check the incidence of the pods, as well as their alignment relative to the wing.

• 4 weeks later...
 On 27/02/2021 at 08:49, Pete in Lincs said:

Matt, I was only wondering last night where to look for this build. 

Things look good from where I'm sitting. Good luck with the paint.

Pete

Thanks Pete - the mods kindly moved the thread for me, as there is still quite a bit to do!

On 27/02/2021 at 09:15, Johnson said:

Good luck with the painting Matt!

Thank you!

On 27/02/2021 at 11:14, Paulaero said:

Some good taste in music there mate, models not bad either  !!!

Cheers Paul. I hid the more embarrassing CD's! 😆

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 16:38, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I'm sorry to have missed this build so far!  You're working hard on this, and I don't want to slow your progress, but happy to offer advice as you need it, having built two of these.  What is your plan for the engine nacelles/pylons?  I ask, because the parts' fit is not exactly precise, and you'll really want to check/double-check the incidence of the pods, as well as their alignment relative to the wing.

Thanks Kenny. Due my clumsiness, I will be adding the engine pods at as late a stage as possible! I will get them on as accurately as I can, then if necessary blend with filler and spray to hide the joints... From memory, the joint lines coincide with panel lines - I'll need to take another look!

I've been away from this build for a month, waiting for warmer weather. I had a few issues with spraying Alclad in the cold, so thought it was best to return to this build at a later date...!

I rubbed the wings down to remove a few imperfections:

rub.jpg

And then resprayed the aluminium - it looks much better now:

shiny.jpg

Hopefully progress will speed up now it's warmer!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Looks great!  Is this an aluminum over which you can mask?  

On my second 707, I simply sanded off all of the vortex generators, because many of them were missing anyway, and they looked a little out of scale.  It reminds me of a Serbian pilot who told me he used to count the vortex generators on the vertical fin of his 727 during his pre-flight walk-around.  22 was the minimum number each side of the fin; any fewer than that was no-go criteria.  He was working in some West African country at the time, and maintenance was dodgy.

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
possible unfair characterization
  • Like 2

On 22/03/2021 at 13:37, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Looks great!  Is this an aluminum over which you can mask?  

I hope so! I'm using Alclad and low tack tape - I've not had a problem with this combination before, so I'm assuming it will be OK...🤞

On my second 707, I simply sanded off all of the vortex generators, because many of them were missing anyway, and they looked a little out of scale.

Most of mine intact, but a few are missing... I do have PE replacements, but they are too fiddly for my fingers!

He was working in some West African country at the time, and maintenance was dodgy.

I've heard similar tales from that part of the world! 🤯

I have sprayed gloss black onto the engine pods, which are now ready for the aluminium top coat:

pods.jpg

Painting is going so much better now the temperature has warmed up - I won't make that mistake again...!

• Like 12

I missed this too.

I have a couple of Heller 707s I snagged for a bargain and made off like a bandit. I have the HaHen BOAC and Lufthansa decals as well as their resin Conways and wing conversion, but I have to date shied away from it as there is a LOT work involved to turn it into a 707-436. Dunno which livery I will eventually dip for tho'.

I have 1/72 Olympic decals too - which suits the 707 in my opinion better than the BOAC livery, not that it does not look cool in BOAC colours, it does. The Olympic version is however an is an easier proposition from the base Heller kit, that in turn might get it on the workbench sooner.

Good looking build BtW, can't wait to see it finished - I always like the idea of a travel agent style model.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2

Beautiful build so far, even with the issues!

Wish I had never seen this thread though since now I am on a quest for a 1/72 707.  Bot my wife will be POed at this one. Wasn't even on my radar (no pun intended) before.

I spent 6 days on a  Canadian Forces CC-137 flying from Trenton Ontario to Lahr Germany back in '77. Boarded the aircraft in Trenton and it took off and immediately headed west.  You don't need to know much about geography to know that west is not the proper direction for Europe from Canada. We stopped at every major city and airbase between Ontario and British Columbia then turned around and did the same thing all the way back to Trenton. THEN we went east and after many other stops eventually made it to Germany. 

Sooooo ... I would love to build this kit as a CC-137 since I was so intimate with one for so long. I may even still have the travel orders around which will give me the number of the flight and airframe. (which is probably made into soup cans by now).

Boeing_CC-137_(707-347C),_Canada_-_Air_F

They even make a decal set for 1/72!

STS7211_CAF_Boeing_707_CC-137.jpg

• Like 11

55 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

Not in Canada it wouldn't!

LOL about Canada!  As a Yank I need to be careful not to impugn our Allies to the North.  Also, not to be OT, but I'll be OT.  I believe the CC-137s were among several relatively low-time, well-maintained 707-320B/Cs taken up by the USAF for conversion to JSTARS...or was simply broken up, as you suggest.  

There used to be a set of Fletcher hose/drogue units for the 1/72 707, but I'm unsure if they're still available.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Or was converted to an E-8C JSTARS.

CC-137 13702 (MSN 20316) was certainly converted to a JSTARS aircraft ands still flies today (sorry for the thread divergence Matt!)

7139ca4dd5248b004b8c88a63fb0e4d7.jpg

7 hours ago, Tcoat said:

Not in Canada it wouldn't!

survamlance-i-spotted-a-canadian-spy-pla

• Like 6

Yes, sorry for causing the side trip down OT Ave. I was just excited to see there was such a kit and that it is actually buildable. I had no clue they made a 1/72 707 until I read this.

Oh and I was being facetious about the poor old Canadian planes going straight to scrap. I have no clue about what really happened to them. I will eventually learn that people here often seem to take things literally. 

Still...

tenor.gif?itemid=16080798

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2021 at 16:38, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Hi Kenny. I'm returning to your comment as I'm at the engine attachment stage of the build! I've glued engines #3 and #4 into place tonight and the fit was good once clamped:

34.jpg

Tomorrow I will get engines #1 and #2 glued on, then see if the joints need attention.👍

On 25/03/2021 at 17:29, Eric Mc said:

Don't forget that BOAC had at least three permutations of colour scheme on their 707s.

Thanks Eric. I'm keeping it simple and using the ones in the kit!

On 25/03/2021 at 08:18, Eric Mc said:

Following this thread because I am working on the Airfix 1/144 707-4.36 - which I'm completing in the original BOAC delivery scheme.

I look forward to seeing that one.

On 25/03/2021 at 09:40, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Good looking build BtW, can't wait to see it finished - I always like the idea of a travel agent style model.

Thanks Tommo. I've been a bit busy recently but hope to get this kit finished sooner rather than later...

On 25/03/2021 at 10:04, Team Aer Lingus said:

Still looking great Matt your doing a great job on this one as always 

Thanks Eamonn!

On 25/03/2021 at 11:41, Tcoat said:

Beautiful build so far, even with the issues!

Thank you!

On 25/03/2021 at 15:23, Johnson said:

Fantastic! (catching up)

Thank you!

As for all the Canadian comments, I'm not even going there!😆

• Like 6

On 08/04/2021 at 21:43, mitchem said:

Sitting up and paying close attention Matt. Useful reference if I ever manage to graduate from 737.

You're welcome Mike - I hope you find something useful!

On 08/04/2021 at 22:18, Alex1978 said:

Thats coming along very nicely.

Looking forward to the final result

Cheers Alex.👍

On 09/04/2021 at 00:52, SallysDad said:

This is a fantastic build. 

I have the old AMT KC-135. You have inspired me greatly.

Thank you!

Just a small update. The engines are on and the fin is painted. The pylons still need some work to blend them in...

engson.jpg

I'm working on the undercarriage tonight and will hopefully finish the engine installation to my satisfaction over the weekend. Then it's decal time!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Nicely done!  The 1/72 707 is the largest model I've ever built, and it has a huge presence.  I think it's worth building, and despite its shape issues in the cockpit/nose area, with patience and care (such as yours) it can be made to look smart.  At least it's symmetric!  Can't say as much for the Mach-2 DC-8-50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/04/2021 at 21:25, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done!  The 1/72 707 is the largest model I've ever built, and it has a huge presence.  I think it's worth building, and despite its shape issues in the cockpit/nose area, with patience and care (such as yours) it can be made to look smart.  At least it's symmetric!  Can't say as much for the Mach-2 DC-8-50.

Cheers Kenny - it's a great model and I will hopefully do it justice... I should find out soon, as it's getting closer to completion.

I've heard a lot of bad reports concerning the Mach-2 offering, so will be steering clear of that one - this model seems pretty good!

It's been a bit quiet on the 707 front again recently - too many models on the go! I have painted and weathered the wheels, which await attachment to the struts:

uc.jpg

Once the wash dried they didn't look so bad, but I do want his area to look very dirty!

I have also started work on the resin GPU. As you may remember, this model is fitted with internal cabin lighting and I'm using a mini GPU to supply the power! The GPU kit is resin and to be honest, I've been putting off making this after my experiences with the resin ATR I'm also building. However, the GPU kit quality is in a different league and I think it will go together easily. Here are the bits:

pex.jpg

Hopefully another update soon!

• Like 11