1/72 BOAC Boeing 707 Speedbird

A bit late to this party Matt. What a great choice of subject. I love the old 707 and I'm only sorry I never actually had a flight in one. As a child I got lucky and had a few Viscount and one Constellation trip though!

I actually have an Academy 1/144 one that's been sat on the shelf of doom for years, waiting for final clean up and paint....

IMG20201201092043

That shot of those JT-3D's has inspired me to have a look at this old girl again! Even in 1/144 scale the 707 is a bit of a giant.

I'll stick around and watch you create this beautiful old girl. The BOAC gold speedbird scheme looks so good on these aircraft.

Terry

• Like 6

Blimey, what a beast! As bad (good?) as the 1/24 Spitfire I'm building, with similar problems. Having been brought up under the Heathrow landing flight path I have many happy memories of these, very noisy and they used to make the TV picture go all funny!

Looking good!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 01/12/2020 at 09:34, Terry1954 said:

A bit late to this party Matt. What a great choice of subject.

Thanks Terry - I was a bit late myself, needed a nudge from @JOCKNEY to get me started on this one!

On 02/12/2020 at 13:58, Johnson said:

Blimey, what a beast! As bad (good?) as the 1/24 Spitfire I'm building, with similar problems. Having been brought up under the Heathrow landing flight path I have many happy memories of these, very noisy and they used to make the TV picture go all funny!

Looking good!

Thanks Charlie - must have been quite a sight, watching these arrive and depart!

It's been a bit quiet again on the modelling front recently. I have primed the model though, which has shown the inevitable areas that need more attention... I have also attached the windscreens:

nose4.jpg

A bit more blending required! The weather has put a halt to any air brushing, so I will take a look at the undercarriage next.

• Like 8

I haven't made much progress with this one recently... My plan was to start on the undercarriage next, which is painted but awaiting some PE detail:

wheels.jpg

Note all the vortex generators for the wing and tailplane - I think I will strategically ignore those... Insanity lies down that path!😄

I have also continued work on blending out the fuselage seams. Here's the current state of the nose - if it's dry tomorrow I will give it a blast of primer and see how it looks:

fuset.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I think I will strategically ignore those... Insanity lies down that path!

Too late for most of us on here....

Nice shiny fuselage. Bring on the paint!

Oh, and how about one in glorious PANAM!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2020 at 22:00, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

At least you are getting something done on your Matt

Not much - the other builds are keeping me busy! I did manage a priming session this afternoon and have sprayed pretty much everything. However, I dropped the tail fin and snapped off the HF aerial, which is now AWOL... If it doesn't turn up I'll have to scratch build a new one. Hopefully I'll get some photos up tomorrow👍.

• Like 2

Thats going to be a cracker of a build.

I built a Heller 707 1-2 years ago.OOB then,but I have another one in the stash,those PE parts really do enhance the model.

About the wing dehydral,here I found something interesting.

May be a help ?

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/boeing-model-707/

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Not much - the other builds are keeping me busy! I did manage a priming session this afternoon and have sprayed pretty much everything. However, I dropped the tail fin and snapped off the HF aerial, which is now AWOL... If it doesn't turn up I'll have to scratch build a new one. Hopefully I'll get some photos up tomorrow👍.

Similar thing happened to my 707 build when I was painting it. I must have knocked it on the edge of my spray booth. I had a spare wing tip HF probe that I was able to use to replace it as I could not find the missing probe. About 12 months later when cleaning up I found it on top of one of my stash boxes up on a shelf!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Similar thing happened to my 707 build when I was painting it. I must have knocked it on the edge of my spray booth. I had a spare wing tip HF probe that I was able to use to replace it as I could not find the missing probe. About 12 months later when cleaning up I found it on top of one of my stash boxes up on a shelf!

Sounds familiar...😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Belated Season's Greetings!

Not much bench time recently, due to family commitments and general Yuletide busyness. However, a little progress has been made. The fuselage seam is improving - my latest wheeze was a coat of filling primer:

top.jpg

It helped - one more sanding session should have the fuselage as I would like.

I have also found some sprue that will make an excellent replacement HF aerial:

hf.jpg

I just need some decent scale plans now, to get the length and profile correct...

Under a month to go - I'd better get a wriggle on!

• Like 9

Welcome back, I'll call the search party off now we've heard from you !

To be honest it wasn't much of a search party more an excuse for a pub crawl.

This has meant having a "substantial meal" in each one which of course having over eaten, meant having to have a nap straight afterwards. 

The result of which is that they are still within walking distance of where they parked their cars to start with !

Great to see the 707 making progress 

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

Coming along very well. I too have had the aerial on the fin disconnect itself from the main part, but luckily it did so by 90 degrees. So I was able to detach it properly and restick it with a bit of wire added.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 17:54, JOCKNEY said:

Welcome back, I'll call the search party off now we've heard from you !

Sorry about that - I'll try not to go AWOL again!😆

On 30/12/2020 at 19:37, Jabba said:

Coming along very well.

Cheers Jabba. 👍

I did some work on the undercarriage last night, adding PE wheel rims and building the main gear undercarriage doors:

rims.jpg 

The engine pylons have received their first dose of filler - more will be needed once I've filled the bigger gaps:

gappy.jpg 

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Jabba said:

I had a similar issue with the engines, fixed with some plasti-card and filler. Looks like you have overcome this well.

Thanks Jabba. It's fair to say the kit has a few issues which need sorting! 😆

I popped the sprue into my rotary tool, in order to thin it down:

bef.jpg

After 100's of revolutions and some gentle sanding it looked like this:

aft.jpg

Much better, but still a bit too thick. Unfortunately, unless I perform some major surgery on the fin, this is the best it will get. The part has now been reattached to the fin and looks similar to the original:

ret.jpg

Next job is attaching the fin - hopefully that will prevent any further breakages!

• Like 7

On 05/01/2021 at 16:57, Jabba said:

Better than nothing at all, well done with the fix.

Thank you!

Another sanding session last night, trying to improve the engines/pylon joint. The fuselage has also had some more attention. They are now all in a box, waiting for warmer weather, so I can prime them again. The other bits are for my Canberra build, which has just started - they need a prime too!

blend.jpg

• Like 8

The rain did stop - but it turned to snow instead... The view from the front off the house:

snow.jpg

Consequently the rattle cans did not get an outing! I will get the engines primed as soon as possible, as this is holding up the build and the deadline is near! Here's how they currently look, with milliput additions and general filler to hide all the gaps:

engines.jpg

I also had to repair the base of the tail fin, which I suspect was damaged a month ago when I dropped it! A small dollop of milliput was blended in:

filet.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 10

Great work so far! I didn't realize the 707 had its audio entertainment system in the engine pylon :)  remember those days when the on board music was just one cassette tape on permanent loop? I flew from Australia to the UK in 1990 on a plane with that and cannot imagine how I survived the boredom compared to what we have today!

Now that i've found this thread I look forward to following along.

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2021 at 02:04, bianfuxia said:

Great work so far! I didn't realize the 707 had its audio entertainment system in the engine pylon :) 

For a moment I had no idea what you where talking about - then the penny dropped! 😆 The flight engineer would insert a C90 during the walk around, with a mix tape of his favourite songs and you had to hope you shared the same taste in music...!

On 15/01/2021 at 02:04, bianfuxia said:

Now that i've found this thread I look forward to following along.

Thank you!

Not a huge amount to report. The engines are an ongoing WIP and I am now at the stage of almost being happy with them, but with a few tiny blemishes to fix. I've resigned myself to not finishing this one in time - sorry @JOCKNEY! Inclement weather has slowed things down considerably, as has home schooling... I've rushed models in the past to finish before a GB deadline and then regretted the final result, so this time I will take as long as I need and hopefully do the kit justice.👍

Just one photo, showing the fin attached:

v0s.jpg

The Vampire and Spitfire are both in the same scale as the 707, just to give a comparison and show the size of the kit. It should look good once finished! 🙂

• Like 13