Guns removed from Hurricane IIA/IIB with bomb racks fitted

Sydhuey

I am trying to confirm if one of the guns is removed when hardpoints are fitted , I remember reading it somewhere when hardpoints/bomb racks are fitted to Hurricane IIA/IIB either the second or third .303 is removed as the ejection port is blocked by the hardpoint/bomb rack.  

That's right - the carrier fitted into the same space as the gun and blocked the cartridge ejector slot.   don't think it was possible to carry the bombs on a Mk.IIA wing because the Mk.IIB wing was strengthened.  I am not clear whether this was possible from the start of Mk.IIB production.  Some sources say so or imply by default, but the casual use at the time of Mk.IIE for the fighter-bombers suggest that this was not so.

I'm doing a IIB in Burma with tanks , I know the outer outer 2 guns in each wing were removed back to an 8 gun machine and am after which in the 4 gun group 2 or 3 ?  

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

That's right - the carrier fitted into the same space as the gun and blocked the cartridge ejector slot. 

Pardon my ignorance,Graham, but which gun was removed- 2nd or 3rd? (I guess I can wait until the Valiant Wings Hurricane monograph comes out for the answer, but I'm curious!)

Mike

Which way are you counting?  It is the one where the pylon is positioned - I hope that you aren't attempting to make a model without looking at photographs?  There are photographs available on this site, in the Hurricane thread(s) and in other books.  Look where the fairing is, if it isn't clear from the patches or the underwing views.

4 hours ago, Julien said:

Less of a pylon, more of a a rack

be505%2036.JPG

the bomb carrier then has a streamlined faring added,  just for clarity (and @Julien thanks for the pic of the internals, not seen that before)]

acdcd5f86c2d7f72a9c7d26439fe252c.jpg

this shows the gun ports before patches, and after. Note the same plane, note the S under the cowling above, and the different spinners fitted, above ES/9, below CM/1.

Also in the above, the chipped off paint on the prop blade leading edge, which I've not seen (or noticed on a Hurricane before)

Hurricane-IIb-RCAF-402Sqn-AE-BE417-being

Both for a 402 Squadron press day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Troy Smith from my walkaround of Canadian 5403 wearing the markings of BE505, a 12 gun wing MK IIB restored by Hawker Restorations in Suffolk. Before it crashed and was rebuilt as the two seater (which TBH I dont like)

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks it appears to be gun 2 removed (numbering from airframe to wing tip), I blanked the wrong one (#3) , will now correct it.

Edited by Sydhuey

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2020 at 10:42 AM, Julien said:

Less of a pylon, more of a a rack

be505%2036.JPG

be505%2035.JPG

be505%2034.JPG

be505%2021.JPG

be505%2013.JPG

Nice picture of the bomb carrier with the fairings removed!!