1/43 Cars Pt 2: Citroen CX2000 (197)

cmatthewbacon

Having cleared the Mercedes McLaren SLR off the bench and into RFI, time to make a start on this GB, with these two:

A310-and-CX2000.jpg

CX2000-parts.jpg

The Citroen dates from 1976, and feels pretty unsophisticated -- look at that engraved chassis "detail"! But the shapes are spot on, and since this was taken I've cleaned up and polished the transparency and it looks a lot less damaged as it first appeared. The body shell has been "squished" a bit -- not the sturdiest of boxes -- and those thin pillars are slightly distorted, but it takes shape again around the glasshouse moulding, so not too worried about that. Final paint colour choices awaiting a delivery today!

best,

M.

• Like 11

It doesn't get much more French than that pair! Lovely artwork on both boxes as well. 

The real CX passed me by back in the day. They were cheap as chips at the time but nobody I knew went near the things as the French engineering scared us basic minded Brits off. I suspect I missed out on some fine motoring as a consequence. More fool me!

I'm glad that Pat's badgering has encouraged you to make a start, welcome to the GB and good luck with the CX, although the one I'm really looking forward to is the Alpine.

• Haha 1

Thanks, gentlemen... we're off. Not had much bench time lately, but given how simple the Citroen is, I can speed along!

citroen-rolling-chassis.jpg

citroen-body-shell.jpg

The interior colour scheme is more usually seen with a pale gold car, but I liked it, and the metallic yellow really belongs on an SM, not a CX2000, but it is a genuine Citroen colour, or something very like it is. Here, it's a Tamiya spray "Pearl Yellow", recently introduced into the range for the Anniversary 370Z re-issue.

citroen-parts-11-nov.jpg

And this is where I'm at tonight. The seats have had a drybrush for that "velour" effect, and I've started work on the trim on the body...

best,

M.

• Like 9

Don't worry, I haven't given up, but it's been a busy week, and well, a tale of two steps forward and one step back. The fit of the chassis, interior, bumpers and body is to put it mildly awful. Not helped by the instructions, whose 1 exploded diagram does not in fact show how the back end fits together... the rear bumper does not fit round the back edge of the underbody, and the helpfully engraved recess at the back does not sit neatly under the tail panel... So let's just say there's been some re-working, and cursing, and now I have to try and get the body paintwork back to where I was a week ago!

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Matthew 

Sorry to hear the car is attempting a rebellion. 

Echoing the points made earlier the colour combo is just perfect.

I'm confident your patience in overcoming the current fit issues will be rewarded.

Cheers Pat 

Thanks, all.... back on track now. It's never going to be one of my best builds (making excuses, this is a much cruder kit than any of the other Heller 1/43s I've come across so far).

cx2000-assembled.jpg

cx2000-assembled-2.jpg

cx2000-assembled-profile.jpg

Just the lights to do now, and then it'll be finished (about bleedin' time...)

best,

M.

• Like 4

Right, this one is finally done. Fought me all the way to the end (don't ask...) but a quick clean up and she'll be ready for proper photos.

citroen-done-1.jpg

citroen-done-3.jpg

citroen-done-2.jpg

I can't say I'm sorry to see it finished, either: unless you absolutely HAVE to have a Citroen CX on your shelf I'd advise sticking to the later Heller 1/43s, which are gems by comparison!

best,

M.

• Like 4

Congratulations Matthew :goodjob:

On my screen at least, the colour balance has changed slightly in your Gallery photos and it's now looking quite like British Leyland 'Citron' - very appropriate!