1/43 Cars Pt 1: Alpine A310 (146)

cmatthewbacon

OK... having cleared the Tamiya Mercedes McLaren SLR off the bench and into RFI, time to commit to this GB, starting with these two:

A310-and-CX2000.jpg

Heller seems to have been more or less the only mainstream manufacturer to produce a substantial range of 1/43 car kits in plastic, covering classics, current showroom models (when they were made) from France, Britain and Germany and a selection of race and rally cars. 1/43 die casts have been a big thing in France for a long time, so where Airfix chose 1/32, Heller plumped for 1/43.

A310-Parts.jpg

The Alpine  dates from 1980, and the interior is distinctly more sophisticated. Body shapes look spot  on as well. The Alpine will be blue, not bronze, of course.

So, off the starting blocks, then!

best,

M.

• Like 13

• cmatthewbacon changed the title to 1/43 Cars Pt. 1: Alpine A310 (146) and Citroen CX2000 (197)

I like those a lot. Great choices. As far as cars go, I'm quite fond of French designs, along with 70s era Japanese stuff, so really looking forward to these builds. Nice to see some more cars in the GB too.

Steve

Welcome to the GB Matthew 

Delighted to see 2 cars joining this GB as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing the CX being built, I remember a mates parents had one, and its ride was like magic carpet, it just seemed to glide over bumps in  the road and you never felt them !

Best of luck with these two.

Cheers Pat 

• cmatthewbacon changed the title to 1/43 Cars Pt 1: Alpine A310 (146)

I've never seen this kit before, so looking forward to seeing how it goes together. 

Good timing also, as the Renault F1 team have announced that they will be reviving the Alpine name to use for next season.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

This one has been slowly progressing, but as with the Citroen, life has got a bit in the way this last week. And so has stupidity: I advise you not to leave a spray can of Tamiya NATO Black on your workbench without its cap on at the same time as a can of TS-13 Clear. I ESPECIALLY recommend that you do not then pick it up when applying a second coat of said clear... So the Alpine body shell has had a trip to the IPA tank and ultrasonic cleaner, and is slowly getting back to the state IT was in last weekend...

Grrr.... aaargh. Don't model when tired and grumpy, say I...

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Oops, sorry to hear about that particular mishap! 

15 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Grrr.... aaargh. Don't model when tired and grumpy, say I...

Sound advice. 

I'll give you one in return: always follow your own advices 🙂 

Well, more or less back on track now. This one is more like it, in terms of fit and detail...

A310-chassis.jpg

A-310-chassis%202.jpg

Decided to get a bit continental with the lights after spotting one online:

a310-yellow-lenses.jpg

a310-yellow-front-end.jpg

Mixed some Citadel Yellow ink with "Mr Gauzy" and dipped the clear parts, and it looks pretty good to me...

best,

M.

• Like 5

This is more like I hoped the paint would look:

bkue-again-2.jpg

bkue-again-1.jpg

That was a couple of days ago. This is where I am tonight:

a310-body-chassis.jpg

a310-body-chassis-2.jpg

Much happier with the way this one is shaping up now. It's really making me wish there was a decent 1/24 kit of the 310, 610 or Renault GTA. Modifying one of the Airfix "Rally" reboxes of an old Eidei/Grip motorised kits feels way too much like hard work. Maybe our friends at Ukrainian Scale Car Production could follow up their Citroen SM with one, while they're on an iconic but obscure French cars kick...

best,

M.

• Like 9

Thanks, chaps... this is pretty much done. The next photos should be in RFI and the Heller GB Gallery!

a310-almost-finished.jpg

a310-almost-finished-5.jpg

a310-almost-finished-2.jpg

a310-almost-finished-3.jpg

a310-almost-finished-4.jpg

A few last bits of tidying up, the essential number plates, and trying to attach the microscopic wing mirror and that will be that...

a310-and-citroen.jpg

You can't really tell because of the perspective in this picture, but the Alpine is a LOT smaller than the Citroen!

best,

M.

• Like 6

Very nice Matthew, well done! I really like it! I may even have to build the one I have in my stash now...

Those original wheels of the V6 phase 1 we used to regard as quite weird looking, but with increasing age of both car and persons they have really grown and suits the slender standard phase 1 body very well. Time changes a lot...