Interceptors GB Gallery

Enzo the Magnificent

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

Here she is, the Tamiya 1/48 P-38G done as Miss Virginia, the regular mount of Lt. Bob Petit (who later flew a P-51A named Mrs. Virginia with the 1st Air Commando). On April 18, 1943, Miss Virginia was flown by Lt. Rex Barber (whose own plane was undergoing repairs after he rammed a Japanese ship with it) on the mission to shoot down Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto. History records that the wildly unlikely mission was flown perfectly due to the planning and leadership of Maj. John Mitchell and that, almost certainly, Yamamoto's aircraft was destroyed by Barber in Miss Virginia.

Aside from a set of Eduard USAAF seatbelts, this kit is built out of the box using even Tamiya cement and paint and including the decals. What everyone says about it is quite true, it's a truly excellent kit.

Us5nOPO.jpg

tzauSBX.jpg

N2PMcun.jpg

NM1s9Lj.jpg

s2Jjoz1.jpg

m2nCoRF.jpg

Trust me, if you have any interest in the P-38, you can't afford to miss this kit!

Michael

• Like 25

This is my build of the Hasegawa 1985 boxing of the F-15C Eagle, in the markings of 67TFS, 18TFW at Kadena AFB in Japan, probably in the early 1980's, which may explain the large number of very obvious stencils – I think they were reduced in number and more subdued in later years. I believe that this is a re-boxing of their original “F-15” kit released in 1974, which has caused a number of problems. Firstly, Hasegawa seem to have at that time been under the impression that all 8 undercarriage doors were open when on the ground, when in fact pictures show that 5 of them would normally be closed. The design of the kit parts make it somewhat difficult to fit them closed without a lot of filing, and the result is far from perfect! Also, the kit comes with the so called “Turkey Feathers” on the exhaust cans, which were removed quite early on, though I cannot find an exact date. They are probably correct in this instance but not for the late 1980's onwards AFAIK.

In 1988 Hasegawa released a new mould F-15E and F-15C which corrected both these problems and add a more detailed cockpit, undercarriage legs, engine intake faces, small pitot heads for the nose and pylons which can take both tanks and missiles, though they also removed the weapons, having by then issued their separate weapons sets. As I bought this kit new from Hannants I suspect it must have before the new version was released.

DSC04724-crop DSC04727-crop DSC04729-crop DSC04731-crop

Cheers

Pete

• Like 23

Airfix say this is a Bofors 40mm AA gun and tractor belonging to the 1st Battery, 8th Troop of the 15th (Manx) Light AA Regiment in 1940. I do not know about the user details - they may be correct, but the markings together with the gunsight shown on the box art say that it was somewhat later, almost certainly between mid 1942 and mid 1943, which makes sense as that unit did not become part of 7th Armoured Division until July 1942 AFAIK! I built it out of the box except for adding windscreen glazing and some nice etched sights from Dan Taylor's Modelworks as Airfix failed to provide any. It is painted in Colourcoats Light Stone, which I believe would be correct for the period.

DSC04655-crop DSC04658-crop DSC04660-crop

Airfix do provide an optional gun shield but I don't believe that they were often used with mobile units such as this, being usually seen on guns that were dug in.

It is quite a nice kit, and makes a fitting last entry to this GB, as something different to the various planes I have built.

As ever, thanks to the organisers for a very enjoyable GB.

Pete

• Like 27

Meng 1/72 F-106A Delta Dart

Decals by Wolfpak Decals. 

The 'Cornfield Bomber', a F-106, operated by the 71st Fighter-Interceptor Squadron. In 1970, during a training exercise, it made an unpiloted landing in a farmer's field in Montana, suffering only minor damage, after the pilot had ejected from the aircraft. The aircraft, was recovered, repaired and was returned to service, and is currently on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 27

1/72nd Amodel Fury II, K7266 41 Squadron, Catterick, Yorkshire 1938

this is my final entry for the group build and is the kit as supplied with rigging from Invisible mending thread and aerial wires from Uschi van der Rosten  thread. There is some added detail like the control surface horns and rods and aerial masts using nickel silver wire and plastic strip. The model is finished using Vallejo Metalcolor paints and decals are from Modeldecal for the roundels and Model Alliance for everything else.

Build thread is here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235087475-amodel-hawker-fury-ii-172nd-41-squadron-catterick-yorkshire-1938/

51010168951_2b08abc167_k_d.jpg

51010168516_7215b93be0_k_d.jpg

51010268852_44427e3d11_k_d.jpg

51009461233_81755c00d9_k_d.jpg

51010169306_4df97d7b86_k_d.jpg

I have enjoyed this group build as is it has encouraged me to have a good rummage in the stash(O'er missus!) My thanks to Col for hosting the Group and Enzo for overseeing the Group builds.
Off to build some models that don't have 'silver' finishes

• Like 29

Kit: 1/48 Italeri Lockheed F-22A Raptor

Subject: Lockheed F-22A Raptor - 05-4093 - 90 FS, USAF Elmendorf AFB, Alaska, USA, 2007

Details: Modelled as per reference pics from interweb, and flight magazine

Misc: Mr Paint paints, Mr Color paints, Vallejo paints, Oils, PJ Pilot, Two Bob 48-146 F-22A Roll The Dice Raptors Decals kindly donated by @exdraken , filler (lots of it!), sense of humour....

Build Thread:

mfu6rvV.jpg

hk0TFoI.jpg

O8Fatrp.jpg

kfMdLoQ.jpg

On a white background

D4Dwf7n.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 23

Vickers 432 high altitude interceptor.  1/72 Kora resin kit. Out of the box with various aftermarket decals .

The 432 was designed as a high altitude interceptor to combat the intruding Luftwaffe high altitude reconnaissance and bomber aircraft such as the diesel engined Junkers 86s.  The prototype aircraft, which was to be pressurised, had various problems with both stability and engines. Vickers had a lot on their plate at this time in both production and development and decided not to pursue the project.

The Kora kit was reasonable with the usual drawbacks of resin manufacture. A struggle, but an enjoyable struggle 🙂

IMG_3780[7502]

IMG_3787[7504]

IMG_3782[7503]

IMG_3795[7505]

• Like 28

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D Sabre Dog (JRV - 14088)

- Gunze acrylics

- Artistic oils wash

- Lift Here decals

- Eduard PE Zoom set

- Landing light made from Kristal Klear

f-86d-14088-051.jpg

f-86d-14088-034.jpg

f-86d-14088-035.jpg

f-86d-14088-036.jpg

f-86d-14088-032.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 31

Čáslav Air Base, Czech Republic, June 30th 2005

spacer.png

The final QRA and last operational day of the Czech Air Force's legacy MiG-21 fleet. The jets were updated to modern standards as MiG-21 MFN and equipped with R60 missiles.

The kits are from a special limited edition boxing by JBr Decals, combining the exquisite Eduard plastic with resin and decals to cover a variety of types. To this I added an additional pair of etch sprues from JBr to model the extra antenna of the MFN.

The jets represented were two of those that stood the final duty, including 5581, the last of the type to receive the 21st Century modifications that carried a slightly different paint scheme.

The extra details are a photoetch ladder from a Brengun 'MiG-21 maintenence' set (only the utter rarity of which prevented me adding two to the scene - if anyone has a lead on any more of these, please message me!) and two superly detailed resin figures from Heroes Models of Italy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235087145-june-2005-the-last-mig-21-qra-at-čáslav/

Edited by Tim R-T-C
Added WIP link
  • Like 26

This is my Me 163B-1

The canopy was a problem for me. I tried to fix it and it seemed to go well until I noticed the masks had damaged the future coat I had put on it

and there is no time to fix it again, so it is what it is. 

Me 163 image 15

Me 163 image 14

Me 163 image 12

Me 163 image 10

Me 163 image 11

• Like 26

F-5E 50-460 Republic of Korea Air Force most recent photo I have seen is 2019.

Kit: Dream Model

Scale: 1/72

AM: Master cannon and pitot

Paints: Xrtacolor and some Humbrol enamel, all by brush

Weathering: Flory Grime 

Backdrop: Coastal Kits

Mistakes: all my own

WIP at link below.

Chris

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 20

finally finished!

did a quick start and then a long pause, mostly due to other GB commttments ;)

thanks mods for the  extension!

so you get here a Chinese Interceptor! not too many out there in modelled form, although Trumpeter did a great job on bringing them along! (I am desperately missing a Spey engined JH-7 though! )

J-8B Finback

PLAAF

Trumpeter 1/48

Metal landing gears from Up-Wind models from Taiwan! (better than SAC, imho, but also not really necessary. maybe it adds some stability to the generally flimsy gear!)

no more aftermaket available.... as simple as that!

the kit fits great, detail is good!

instructions could be a bit better in some areas, the landing gear assembly and some doors are a slight puzzle, as are the pylons and missile/ rocket / tank combinations. not helped by the fact that some of it was done for the J-10 kit and that all parts for the D/F are aslo included.

whatever, I'd do a second, grey one with modern weapons one day!

WIP:

EX300dS.jpg

LMdRj1h.jpg

5Jf55WG.jpg

am2uZI6.jpg

9CoWUN6.jpg

thanks for your interest and thanks for the great BM GB community!

:cheers:

Werner

• Like 28

A 1/48 scratchbuilt 1917 quadruplane Supermarine PB31 aka the Nighthawk. Designed to patrol for long hours and attack Zeppelins as they came in to bomb England, two prototypes were commissioned, one was definitely built and flown. The design wasn’t approved for service but it has a lot of advanced features for its day.

resized_23ef337b-42c1-4f5f-8172-b369953c

14a9f8be-d59e-4a91-9268-de71e6e050c5.jpe

65b5a8cf-c59f-4153-985d-552bb78c67d7.jpe

23e5215e-bb0d-4ea3-9c19-da0ed861e402.jpe

resized_2e3b5bc1-cfc6-45cd-a809-8f78c0aa

Doesn’t get much odder than this except for the Oertz W6 I’m intending to build for the anything but injection GB :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 28

I assembled the Meng 1:35 Kit ...

ZSU-23-4V1 "Shilka"

Shangai Cooperation Organization "Peace Mission 2014"

I hope you enjoy my work 🙂

The WIP  can be found here: 

51034689053_200f9a7997_b.jpg
by Rodolfo Masti, su Flickr

51035525727_96a28f3243_b.jpg

51035525677_968bf7cf89_b.jpg

51034689138_9be16308bb_b.jpg

51034688878_5ca8a1b840_b.jpg

• Like 25

Kit: 1/48 Revell Eurofighter Typhoon

Subject: Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4  - ZJ917 - '917' - IX (B) Sqn, RAF Lossimouth, 2021 - QRA fit 

Details: Modelled as per reference pics from interweb, books etc

Misc: Mr Paint paints, Mr Color paints, Vallejo paints, Oils, PJ Pilot, various decal sheets 

Build Thread:

ekjD8Xe.jpg

D1Q8ybH.jpg

N95YD19.jpg

KvItDp0.jpg

uuELbGn.jpg

• Like 24