Leopard tank STGB

modelling minion

Hi all,

Anyone fancy having a go at a Leopard? Surely one of the best post war families of AFV's in the World and also in service all around the World from Australia to Chile and in a variety of marks and colour schemes. 

I have a proposal going in the Group Build Chat section for an STGB on the type;

Any vehicle based on the Leopard chassis would be eligible from the Biber to the Gepard and all the others, also any prototype that got as far as being built will be allowed, no paper panzers though as there's more than enough out there to keep us happy.

We need to meet the magic number of 25 volunteers, currently we have 11 signed up, so what do you say, fancy having a go at a modern classic? You will be made very welcome, especially if this is your first GB.

Craig.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great idea. I have three in my stash. Always fancied a Norwegian splinter camo version. With a GB it would depend on how long we get. 1/35 AFV's (and most other kits) take me ages to build!

I'll pop over and take a look.

Terry

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Sounds like a great idea. I have three in my stash. Always fancied a Norwegian splinter camo version. With a GB it would depend on how long we get. 1/35 AFV's (and most other kits) take me ages to build!

Terry

STGB's last for 3 months Terry, hope that is long enough for you, especially as you want to build a Norwegian splinter one.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Australia ceased operation of Leopard AS1's over 10 years ago.  They now adorn various RSL and Barracks around the country. 

Very true. When I mentioned their world wide service I was including previous operators too.

Fancy adding your name to the list?

On 11/4/2020 at 7:09 PM, Terry1954 said:

How about you Terry? Fancy joining us?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, modelling minion said:

STGB's last for 3 months Terry, hope that is long enough for you, especially as you want to build a Norwegian splinter one.

Well 3 months sounds a long time but I can assure you some of my builds take years! If I can source a 1/72 Leopard 1, then I might give it a crack!

Terry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Well 3 months sounds a long time but I can assure you some of my builds take years! If I can source a 1/72 Leopard 1, then I might give it a crack!

Terry

I know what you mean Terry, some of my "quick builds" end up taking ages.

If you get hold of a 1/72 kit then give us a call, we'll gladly add you to the list.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2020 at 9:19 PM, modelling minion said:

Very true. When I mentioned their world wide service I was including previous operators too.

Fancy adding your name to the list?

How about you Terry? Fancy joining us?

You did not mention them in the past tense.

What "list"?

As if having a couple of suitable candidates in the stash wasn't enough I've just discovered Academy do a 1/48 2A5 and I can get decals for Polish 10th Armoured Brigade so I had no choice but to stick my name down.

Andy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

As if having a couple of suitable candidates in the stash wasn't enough I've just discovered Academy do a 1/48 2A5 and I can get decals for Polish 10th Armoured Brigade so I had no choice but to stick my name down.

Andy

These things are inevitable Andy, there's really no point even trying to resist, much easier to just give in and spend money. 

Consider yourself added mate. 

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

These things are inevitable Andy, there's really no point even trying to resist, much easier to just give in and spend money. 

Consider yourself added mate. 

Well that's the relevant Peddinghaus sheet just fallen into my basket. This GB had better go ahead now :D 

Andy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been wanting to have a go at a Leopard and this seems like a great excuse to get round to one. Though I haven’t had much experience with armour modelling I like the sound of trying to get a model built in 3 months! Stops me getting distracted by the next shiny kit! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Flying sailors said:

Been wanting to have a go at a Leopard and this seems like a great excuse to get round to one. Though I haven’t had much experience with armour modelling I like the sound of trying to get a model built in 3 months! Stops me getting distracted by the next shiny kit! 

Don't worry about not being an armour modeller, I am predominantly an aircraft builder but I do like to build the occasional piece of armour so experience isn't a requirement to take part, just a willingness to try. 

I shall add you to the list. 

• Like 1

Hi, any chance of joining in?  I’ve got a few Leopards in my stash and a few more completed,  but I started on the Takom Leopard Bergepanzer 2 with the Perfect Scale Modellbau Leo 1 AEV 1 conversion a couple of months back.  Great conversion set, but I completely wrecked the bore which forms part of it.  Gerold at PSM was kind enough to send a new one for a very small cost but I never restarted the project, so this would give me the incentive to kick start it.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Hi, any chance of joining in?  I’ve got a few Leopards in my stash and a few more completed,  but I started on the Takom Leopard Bergepanzer 2 with the Perfect Scale Modellbau Leo 1 AEV 1 conversion a couple of months back.  Great conversion set, but I completely wrecked the bore which forms part of it.  Gerold at PSM was kind enough to send a new one for a very small cost but I never restarted the project, so this would give me the incentive to kick start it.  

Absolutely you can join in, we need 6 more people to get us over the line and grab a STGB slot. A Bergepanzer build will make a nice variation from the gun tanks.

• Like 1

I'd like to build even two, but - unfortunately - the Dragon 1:72 Leo 2A4 is currently totally unobtainable on the market. 

I hope that - following reissues of Panthers and similar stuff - some day (the sooner the better) the Leos will re-appear too.

Anyway I have the Braille scale Revell Leopard 1 in stash, so here I'm - now you only need 5 people more...

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

I'd like to build even two, but - unfortunately - the Dragon 1:72 Leo 2A4 is currently totally unobtainable on the market. 

I hope that - following reissues of Panthers and similar stuff - some day (the sooner the better) the Leos will re-appear too.

Anyway I have the Braille scale Revell Leopard 1 in stash, so here I'm - now you only need 5 people more...

Cheers

Michael

Welcome aboard Michael, and with a Leopard 1 which are my favourites.

As you say, only 5 more to go now!!