Spinner Color of French P-39Q (red pill or Blue pill? :) )

TheFlogger

Dear Gents, currently I am trying to build a 1:48 Eduard P-39Q French one. Sir Eduard says its spinner to be Blue but all pics /profiles I seen refer to be red.

I will be pleased if someone enlights me.

Best wishes,  

Zaff

One nof profiles;

WxTA5XJ.jpg

The real one;

ajPSxIo.jpg

• TheFlogger changed the title to Spinner Color of French P-39Q (red pill or Blue pill? :) )

Zaff,

Kinda hard to tell for sure, because the photo is small, but check the tone of the spinner against the tone of the tricolor stripes on the rudder- it looks to these tired old Mk 1a eyeballs that the spinner matches the leading rudder stripe, so my guess would be blue. Photos of French Airacobras show red, yellow, or blue spinners, so maybe the spinner color denotes squadron or flight? What's the FS equivalent for sacre bleu! :giggle: ("Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!")

Mike

I couldn't find any other photos of '4' on the websites I knew that had French Airacobra references.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Zaff,

Kinda hard to tell for sure, because the photo is small, but check the tone of the spinner against the tone of the tricolor stripes on the rudder- it looks to these tired old Mk 1a eyeballs that the spinner matches the leading rudder stripe, so my guess would be blue. Photos of French Airacobras show red, yellow, or blue spinners, so maybe the spinner color denotes squadron or flight? What's the FS equivalent for sacre bleu! :giggle: ("Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!")

Mike

I couldn't find any other photos of '4' on the websites I knew that had French Airacobra references.

Thanks  a lot. I compared the spinner to tricolor and seemed me closer to red. I dont know...

Standard spinner colour in Meditteranean fighter units was RED. It was a friend/foe I.D marking. Thus I strongly doubt the Blue.

Another point - the spinner is in direct sunlight, the rudder is in shadow. This affects the apparent colours.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

Standard spinner colour in Meditteranean fighter units was RED. It was a friend/foe I.D marking. Thus I strongly doubt the Blue.

Another point - the spinner is in direct sunlight, the rudder is in shadow. This affects the apparent colours.

I guess I will go for  Red. Thanks mate.