Kinetic Models Sea Harrier FRS 1 Kit number 48035

Faraway

I’ve just bought this kit, and when I looked at the parts and instructions I see that there is more PE than what you are shown where to put it. I can understand the little bits of PE that go on the leading edge of the wings, but there are lots of other bits besides.

Has anyone else built this and have you solved this mystery ?

This is the PE that came with the kit.

p?i=2fe2df6095da006df6299025704b26c2

And this is the only page in the instruction manual that actually mentions PE

p?i=251f8d13a971945460e9646e94f3d89c

Jon

Edited by Faraway
addition

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The etched part sprue is now the same one that is included in the two seat harrier whereas in the first issue of the kit had a simpler etched sprue. 

@StephenThat would explain why there appears to be two sets of seat belts.(?) Pity Kinetic didn't include these parts in the assembly instructions.

Jon

31 minutes ago, Faraway said:

@StephenThat would explain why there appears to be two sets of seat belts.(?) Pity Kinetic didn't include these parts in the assembly instructions.

Jon

Found this. Sort of helps. @LaurieS

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/0/9/1006409-84-instructions.pdf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Be careful, the kit contains both FRS.1 and the later FA.2 wings and their associated wing fences - see above photo of PE set. If I remember, the FRS.1 instructions incorrectly show the fitting of the FA.2 wing...They also show the fitting of AIM-120 missiles - the FRS.1 couldn’t carry these.

• Thanks 1

Rob,

You have the two-seat Harrier PE fret there which includes several handles for the canopy, the open canopy braces and interior canopy parts; plus two sets os seat harness and two small yaw vanes. You need parts numbered 2 and 3 for the FRS.1's wing fences; PE2 goes outboard and PE3 inboard. The other wing fence is from the SHAR FA.2 kit. There are also two "8-fingered" reinforcing plates on the fret which were only fitted to FA.2s as far as I know. As for all the spare plastic... I have it on very good authority that it is cheaper for Kinetic to do things this way than to re-tool all the parts for each different Harrier kit. As a result, you also get two instrument panels - the FRS.1 one with a single screen on it and the FA.2 one with two screens. You get the option for a later (post-1983, but not all!) FRS.1 with the ALE-40 chaff/flare dispensers behind the airbrake or an earlier SHAR without them.

Good luck with the build and let me know if you need any more clarification or help with the kit. (Between you and me, Harriers an Sea Harriers can be complicated beasts!)

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1