Help 1/48th scale Airfix BAC TSR-2

harrygt40

I have a 1/48th scale Airfix  BAC TSR-2, I bought it at a model show at Bellahouston Sports Centre a couple of years ago. I was looking forward to build it until I discovered a part missing, it's assembly number18 part number 11 the tail faring the exhausts fit into.

Any help suggestions would be helpfull.

Cheers Harry

BM

Edited by harrygt40

On 11/3/2020 at 11:47 AM, harrygt40 said:

Any help suggestions would be helpfull.

Noticed this on eBay , no idea of the quality of the moulding but maybe someone else has experience of it and could advise as to its potential for providing the part you are after  -   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contrail-1-48-TSR-2-VACFORM-KIT-complete-and-unstarted/313282232729?hash=item48f1138199:g:ApgAAOSwv4xfnw3-

Really there aren't many options in case a part like that is missing, particularly when it comes to kits that have been OOP for quite a while.

Asking the manufacturer is always a good option and Airfix do have a good parts replacement service. However with the kit having not been in production for some time it is very likely they will not have any sprure left. Asking costs nothing though, so it's worth doing it anyway

The next best solution is to find someone who has a similar kit, maybe wrecked, and is willing to sell it. May be worth checking Ebay and similar websites, sometimes it's possible to find half built kit and you may find one with the part you need. Even if the part is glued it's possible to detach it, clean it and use it on your kit.

Of course you may ask in a forum like this one... however this forum has a strict rule: anyone who wants to buy or sell things must have more than 100 posts. A rule that I agree with and that makes plenty of sense. Other sites may not have the same rules.

Then there's another option I can suggest: try and find someone who has the same kit and is willing to make you a resin copy of the part, or alternatively get yourself the materials needed to make a resin copy. Playing with resin is not too difficult and is useful for a lot of other uses, however I can understand that the initial costs may scare some modellers. Mind, the shape of that part would need some work to make a good copy, but it's not something I'd consider particularly difficult.

Last option, that may or not be feasible, if the fairing is something that on the real aircraft could be detached to perform maintenance duties, you may build the kit without it, scratchbuilsing if needed the structure around the engines. It would be easier than trying to scratchbuild the fairing

• Like 1

Hi, Harrygt40 ...

One other idea came to mind ... IF you can find someone with an unbuilt 1/72 model TSR2, ask if they can have it copied using 3D printing, scaled up to 1/48.  Sadly my knowledge of 3D printing is limited to watching a demonstration at my local Computer club quite a while ago now but it migt be feasible to reproduce the part you need by this means.

Welcome to Britmodeller, by the way.  You'll find it's a mine of mostly expert help and advice!

HTH,

Jonny

Thanks guys for the advice, very much appreciated. I tried Airfix but as model out of production they can't help, Des informed of a 1/48 Contrail kit for sale on ebay so bought it and hopefully can do some thing with the vacuform fuselages.

Regards,

Harry