9 Squadron 100th Anniversary Tornado - Revell 1/72

Dave_R

Hi All,

A late entry from me.  I'm going for this IX(B) Squadron 100th Anniversary scheme.

50561876308_b26e2d6ae9_c.jpg

I haven't got the decals yet, but Hannants has loads in stock.

Sprue shots.

50561874388_2305b68d87_o.jpg

50561874433_0b6c10b117_o.jpg

50561874368_4f06253071_o.jpg

50562616326_e73083945b_o.jpg

50562616346_77449fcb10_o.jpg

50561874408_3fb9457403_o.jpg

Normally I'd worry the time left, but locked down it shouldn't be a problem.

Dave.

• Like 5

Only just starting?  I started at the beginning of October and already beginning to wonder if I have enough time 😞

Nice scheme, though!  I notice that one has the Johnnie Walker character on it, much like the Revell kit decals.  Anyone know the connection between 9 sqn and Johnnie Walker whisky?

Al.

5 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Only just starting?  I started at the beginning of October and already beginning to wonder if I have enough time 😞

Nice scheme, though!  I notice that one has the Johnnie Walker character on it, much like the Revell kit decals.  Anyone know the connection between 9 sqn and Johnnie Walker whisky?

Al.

I should be able to get it done what with the lock down and the various Blitz Builds I've got done in the past - I've already finished 11 GBs this year and the stash is shrinking fast.   

Apparently the Johnnie Walker logo comes from the nose art of a 9 squadron Lancaster - J for Johnny which flew 107 missions.

Dave.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2020 at 12:19 AM, Dave_R said:

Apparently the Johnnie Walker logo comes from the nose art of a 9 squadron Lancaster - J for Johnny which flew 107 missions.

Dave.

Wasn't BBMF's PA474 painted like that a while ago, somewhere halfway the nillies?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

The big bits are all together.

Tornado+09.JPG

Tornado+10.JPG

I used plasticard to make the IR sensor fairing.  I also moved the small air scoop back a few mill. to where it should be. and filled in the gun port.

Tornado+11.JPG

Tornado+12.JPG

A bit more clean-up and then on with the primer.

Dave.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, alhenderson said:

@Dave_Ris that the OOB LRMTS?  The clear portion of mine is appalling and I'm struggling to work out how to make it fit.  How did you find yours?

Al.

Yes, it's OOB and yes it was pretty awful.  I fitted the top edges of the fairing and the clear part flush and the filled the large gap at the bottom with Vallejo acrylic filler - which doesn't harm the clear part. Then sanded and polished it - but it still looks bad.

Dave.

Hi All,

The primer is now covering all the messy looking filler.

Tornado+14.JPG

Tornado+13.JPG

Next I'm going to spray the bare metal areas, mask them, then on with the grey and then the black.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

Yes, it's OOB and yes it was pretty awful.  I fitted the top edges of the fairing and the clear part flush and the filled the large gap at the bottom with Vallejo acrylic filler - which doesn't harm the clear part. Then sanded and polished it - but it still looks bad.

Dave.

Interesting, thanks for that.  How did you apply the filler?  Does it come in a tube with a nozzle, or something like that?  I have a tube of humbrol filler, but it has to be applied with a knife, and this area (whilst gaping) is too fiddly for that, I think..

Al.

12 hours ago, Dave_R said:

It comes in tube with a nozzle.  The way I normally apply filler is with a toothpick. 

Found some at the local model shop today, looks like fab stuff, looking forward to trying it. Never thought of using a toothpick for regular filler, though - top tip.

Every day's a school day!

Al

Give it at least 12-24 hours to set otherwise it'll tend to peel off the surface.  It took me a few months to get used to using as it's not like a hard filler, but now I prefer to use it most of the time (you can see plenty of it used in the above photos).

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi All,

It's up on it's wheels now.

Tornado+19.JPG

Tornado+18.JPG

I've removed a couple of mil. from the nose wheel - why does Revell keep making these silly little errors?

Annoyingly the yellow stripe down the spine isn't provided on the decal sheet. If I'd noticed that earlier I wouldn't have painted the black first.

Onto the decals.

Dave.

• Like 6