Spitfire Mk.Ia - Tamiya - 1/72 - the first operational mark - UPD: some group shots added

Hi Everyone,

My personal Spitfire mini group build has resulted in the first completed model. This is a very well known Tamiya's Mk.I.

IMG_0066

Much written about the pros and cons of the kit itself. Some say the wing shape is questionable but as I constructed it together with Eduard and Airfix kits - I did not observe any noticeable differences. I really enjoyed construction process. No fit issues, very little putty, ease of assembling, Not much aftermarket is used. In fact nothing apart of Eduard PE fret that mostly came into the cockpit. The main kit's drawback is the canopy that is not very thick but its sliding section is producing strong distortion perhaps due to variable thickness of the plastic. 

IMG_0069 IMG_0082 IMG_0067

My intent was to make a BoB Spit, so an Xtradecal sheet was obtained. I chose the PRoJ machine (R6691) flown by Flight Lieutenant Frank J Howell of 609th Squadron. 

My original intent was to use kit's stencils and Xtradecal roundels, code and serials. However I became quite suspicious about the thickness of Tamiya decals and red on the Xtradecal sheet looked too brick to me. So I got a KitsWorld sheet for WWII fighters which also contained full stenciling set. The latter worked superbly. Zero silvering, none of the decals was damaged. Top class!

IMG_0071 IMG_0093 IMG_0128

Not much other insights. Top surfaces are Hobby Color H72 and H73, bottom side is Vallejo's Duck Egg Blue. Covered with gloss Tamiya finish pre-decals and then Micro Matt layer. Canopy is Future'd. Panel lines are highlighted with pencils, some dirt from Tamiya powders added as well as some Vallejo wash into larger recesses. 

More shots to enjoy!

IMG_0166 IMG_0191 IMG_0197 IMG_0183 IMG_0159 IMG_0097 IMG_0144

Thanks for watching!

Kind regards,

Dennis

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks, 

Thanks a lot for appreciation and kind words!

9 hours ago, IanC said:

The Gunze/Vallejo colours look just right too

Hi, Ian. Just one remark. Vallejo 71.009 was used straight from the bottle. However Gunze paints were both diluted with white at about 20-25% to give them a lighter shade. 

Otherwise I do agree that these paints are a very good match to wwii-time RAF colours. 

Dennis

• Like 1

• Dennis_C changed the title to Spitfire Mk.Ia - Tamiya - 1/72 - the first operational mark - UPD: some group shots added

Hi again,

Had some sunny hours today so made a few shots of my small WWII RAF collection:

IMG_0308

Always had an idea of having this famous trio in DG/DE colours. Also these guys represent several stages of the first wartime year: Phoney War, Battle of France and Battle of Britain. 

IMG_0321

A top side photo for size comparison. Not much different in size in fact but Spitfire looks smaller on the shelf due to sleeker fuselage and narrower undercarriage

IMG_0318

A bottom side photo for lower surfaces camo evolution:

IMG_0323

All the best,

Dennis

• Like 4

i am surprised you found the Extra decal roundel Red too brick , i have always found Extra decals colours to be spot on.

To my eyes the Kits World roundel Blue looks to be too dark , almost showing up Black in the pics although this could be a trick of the light ? however this aside what a lovely collection those models are . perhaps a fairey Battle or Blenheim next ? :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

i am surprised you found the Extra decal roundel Red too brick , i have always found Extra decals colours to be spot on.

To my eyes the Kits World roundel Blue looks to be too dark , almost showing up Black in the pics although this could be a trick of the light ? however this aside what a lovely collection those models are . perhaps a fairey Battle or Blenheim next ? :goodjob:

Hi Keith,

Xtradecal's red on Spitfire sheet was indeed brown brick unfortunately. Not at all red brick... Will make a photo at the day light later.

BTW I honestly think Xtradecal are very inconsistent in terms of roundel colours. The above Hurricane has Xtradecal roundels too and the red there is the brightest and 'reddest' of all the three aircraft. However I agree the KitsWorld's blue is a bit too dark... Consistency between decal maker colours is something non existent so painting roundels is not the worst idea for the future. 

As to the next WWII projects I was thinking about moving forward in RAF history and build something from 1942/43 in DG+OG scheme - maybe a Mustang+Typhoon?

Dennis

@Dennis_C,

That's a nice trio! The Spitfire turned out very nicely, but I do love that early Hurricane! Not wishing  to re-open the age-old :worms:, I tend to agree with your assessment of the Tamiya Mk 1 Spit; I have compared the wing and fuselage parts to the new-tool Airfix, CMR resin kit, and all the 1/72 drawings I have, and other than a slightly short rear fuselage and slightly broad-shouldered  upper  cowling, it matches right on.  (I can hear the bolts being closed on the snipers' rifles!)  In a year or two, if they are true to form, Tamiya will release a new Mk 1 based on their 1/48 kit in 1/72 scale, and the argument/s will at last be settled! (Me, I'm sitting on five each of the Mk1 and MkVb kits, and I'm not planning on junking them.)  I  think your colors are right on the money, and I also agree you need to add a Blenheim to you BOB trio- maybe a Mk 1F?

Mike 

• Thanks 1