Loire Nieuport 401/411: the "French Stuka", Special Hobby 1/48 - Finished

Massimo

Good evening mates,

Yesterday I did some work on the landing gears.

I started by painting the tail wheel's assembly which I had detailed a while ago. Once painted,I glued it into place.

PfOSP03.jpg

QuJhjQ0.jpg

4bJflp7.jpg

The matching between the main gear legs and the resin wheelbays is really poor and won't guaraantee a strong assembly, thus I drilled and glued some locating pins made of brass wire to the main legs' head. I also drilled some holes into the resin weel bays to house  them. They'll act as locating pins and the only the gear bays are

YZaduC7.jpg

Next I assembled the main gears. It's a tricky operation which has tobe ccarriedout indifferent steps.

oM7hmLL.jpg

Once dry, I dry-tested them on the kit. They seem to be ok.

79xs5zx.jpg

B0ci7Al.jpg

pEwjhkB.jpg

So now I can paint them.The actuators will be added later.

F4zEmOH.jpg

dP4WCmQ.jpg

Next I glued them in place using CA glue. The wheels don't fit to the small Ts at the bottom end thus I cut the Ts off,  drilled the legs lower end and glued two more locating pins to them.

wkoxVJg.jpg

XsRN3iM.jpg

6SMkJqc.jpg

ZzvhwQA.jpg

I added two pieces of plastic rod through the whees and drilled two holess to each of them, then glued them at the end of the legs' locating pins.

wbI9tUw.jpg

aapjIP5.jpg

A2sQRId.jpg

I found an old base , with more dust thaan grass, but I think once cleaned it'll do!

ioBqdOc.jpg

aE226KL.jpg

This is it for the day!

Thanks for watching!

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, giemme said:

Excellent detailing, Massimo :clap: I also use pinning as much as I can to reinforce the wobbly joints, smart move :thumbsup:

How long before completion now?

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, This was yesterday's update. I did a few more bits Today, but no pictures yet. Anyway for my STD, this can be considered a quick build!!!:giggle::giggle:

Another stunning little model Massimo. The paintwork looks much better for your alterations and it will certainly add some colour to your cabinet!

Happy New Year mate!

Ian

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

Another stunning little model Massimo. The paintwork looks much better for your alterations and it will certainly add some colour to your cabinet!

Happy New Year mate!

Ian

Not really little,but it'll add some colour indeed!!!

Happy new Year to you too!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening mates,

last update on this build which has come to an end unusually quickly.

In my last post I had glued the landing gears to their wells.

Next step was to glue the main gears' front covers, which had a braking function and thus were extended while diving. 

OXbzzce.jpg

Ready for battle!!!!

FN9IQOm.jpg

MGu7CIR.jpg

Machine guns and the window for the camera were added to the wing

gfllN2L.jpg

nTS4LQF.jpg

It was now time for the engine to be detailed...

I3195FO.jpg

gwvzDeU.jpg

7kGjYAS.jpg

0AU291v.jpg

The back plate was made...

BpnBbyq.jpg

...and fitted into place, together with the engine,  the resin cannon in the middle of the V  and an extension for its barrel.

jkJ3laj.jpg

Qjlbmki.jpg

Paint and washes were next.

16yHJjV.jpg

4cLYgiO.jpg

uqGUoFx.jpg

rkuAvO6.jpg

With the engine in place, I added the actuators to the ailerons and rudder.

QzyFWbL.jpg

TzgwnBn.jpg

TzgwnBn.jpg

It was now time to add the canopy. Two vac-formed transparents are supplied with the kit and, to ensure the frames weren't damaged, I used both,

Z87g2Sw.jpg

I masked them first, then I painted them the blue grey I had used for the cockpit interior and finally the three colours of the camouflage, followed by a layer of Hannants' flat clear.

LBY9TcY.jpg

sZNwogx.jpg

xLljaCi.jpg

grYMpNa.jpg

FvSEYN8.jpg

The transparents wer glued into place with a few drops of CA glue and sealed with Future. 

n2ImrF6.jpg

n2ImrF6.jpg

ThU2hFX.jpg

the last parts to be added were the frames which  support the covers over the engine.  I decided to use some PE frames taken fro the same CMK set which supplied the cannon. I glued a styrene strip at their back. This allowed me to shape them and to give them some consistency. Once cut and shaped, I painted them the same colour I used for the interior of the engine bay and the undersides.

MZsi6Kn.jpg

HF1S0xi.jpg

j6LmlL5.jpg

Finally they were glued into place. 

vCR5I7s.jpg

Wl5M4ax.jpg

p49omDz.jpg

hOk1q2b.jpg

A few touches here and there and Ideclared thebuild finished. Here belowa few pictures of the finished model.

St3q9gZ.jpg

7blfwJY.jpg

d1No2dN.jpg

atVbJ7z.jpg

FHHsEXV.jpg

xlWkwHB.jpg

GXwehuY.jpg

Bfdbfex.jpg

O0wlSFW.jpg

aAMzb3a.jpg

DhthHwr.jpg

tyxs4Pt.jpg

ZLHosyX.jpg

uM2wQXX.jpg

ad044BJ.jpg

2zf3zfq.jpg

Dn0KufC.jpg

I think this is it!

I had to take some shortcuts,  due to scarce reference. but I'm quite happy with the look of this strange aircraft. For sure it's a colorful addition to my collection and I really enjoyed  building it.

I've bought some more French aircraft in Vichy colours and I look forward to building them!

Thanks for watching.

Massimo

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Massimo changed the title to Loire Nieuport 401/411: the "French Stuka", Special Hobby 1/48 - Finished

Impressive job, Massimo! (and very quick!) :worthy: 

This is a really ugly bird :D , but beautifully built and tastefully painted and weathered, KUDOS :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Great Build Massimo! A pleasure to see a French A/C build in such a way. 

Just to let you know: the biggest inacuracy of the kit is the undesized sliding canopy. On the real aircraft, when fully open, it should rest on the two rails on the side of the fuselage..

Phil

• Sad 1

Cracking build Massimo!

I think this must have been the French answer to the German "most dangerous joke in the world" - it relied on the enemy laughing themselves to death!

Ian

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, phil23 said:

the biggest inaccuracy of the kit is the undesized sliding canopy. On the real aircraft, when fully open, it should rest on the two rails on the side of the fuselage..

Hi Phil, this is one of the shortcuts I mentioned. I think the problemis partlycaused by the fuselage section which may be too wide in that area, together with the undersized canopy.

I found it really difficult to get proper references. Most pictures I found online show grounded and damaged aircraft withnocanopy or just a frame.

The worst area to figure out was the ventral pivoting arm in the belly. There's no sign of itinthe special Hobby kit and ...I had to find a compromise...next time I'll choose a better documented subject!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 1