L-1049 Connie - where are they?

Codger

Maybe I should start scratchbuilding a Connie. Within a month or two of me finishing there will be a new kit for sure. 😤

Worked like a charm on the Avro 504 - apparently Roden’s tooling up for one now.

• Haha 2

Or......... 

There's a Revell option for you ! 

Back in the "day" they produced kits referred to as Boxscale, and they adjusted the scale to suit the size of their boxes, so they'd stack neatly on a shelf. 

The Connie works out around 1.122. When I built mine last year the original decals WORKED! 

You get rivets and everything..... 😳

IMG_20190424_221314

IMG_20190713_122415

I've still got the DC7 to do 🤭

Seriously, this obsession with military subjects, bombin shootin missells and camouflage is deeply depressing to me. 

I know it's not the same, but there is a DC3 kit around in 1.48 scale.... Monogram I'm pretty sure. 

Nahh..... Let's face it, it's not a Constellation, is it ⁉️

There was a really nice Revell true 1/144 scale kit came out 15-20 years ago. Obviously didn’t sell well because I’m still kicking myself for not buying the three on sale for £7.99 in a closing down clearance at a Leeds craft and hobby shop in 2005 or so... I don’t believe it’s been reissued since.

best,

M.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, rob Lyttle said:

I know it's not the same, but there is a DC3 kit around in 1.48 scale.... Monogram I'm pretty sure. 

Nahh..... Let's face it, it's not a Constellation, is it ⁉️

No,but it is a nice kit. I built the C-47 version some years ago and recall it being a nice build. Needed filler at the wing roots but that's typical Monogram. 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 23:38, Codger said:

nice little scene you did

Well, Codger, you'd have to call it a Labour of Love....!. 

You could see what I started with. 

I cut the flaps and built them fully deployed and the idea was to place it "just before the tyres squeal". 

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:56 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

There was a really nice Revell true 1/144 scale kit came out 15-20 years ago. Obviously didn’t sell well because I’m still kicking myself for not buying the three on sale for £7.99 in a closing down clearance at a Leeds craft and hobby shop in 2005 or so... I don’t believe it’s been reissued since.

best,

M.

It is a beautiful little kit and I'm sorry I only have one. It's better than the Minicraft Connie. 

It's been out twice though - originally in 2007, the Lufthansa boxing, and then this boxing in 2010. 

102239-10571-pristine.jpg

The Welsh Models vac-form is very nice too and I know where there's one of those, as well as one of the Minicraft ones for sale at the moment

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's interesting that Frank Sinatra's "Come Fly with Me" album has a TWA Connie in the background.  That album was apparently released in January 1958.

Even before the jet age, it was the lovely Connie that was the queen of the skies.

spacer.png 

I've just dragged a half-built Heller L.749 out of the stash, to be built as an Air France L.049 using Fisher engines and props, with markings from Renaissance sheet RF72043. It will get some modification, for example scratch-built wingtips to replicate the distinctive Lockheed undercamber, which is totally absent on the kit. Let's see if getting that finished triggers any action ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I've just dragged a half-built Heller L.749 out of the stash, to be built as an Air France L.049 using Fisher engines and props, with markings from Renaissance sheet RF72043. It will get some modification, for example scratch-built wingtips to replicate the distinctive Lockheed undercamber, which is totally absent on the kit. Let's see if getting that finished triggers any action ...

Great - please post a thread link here....

• 4 months later...

Well I dragged out my old thread to snivel and whine about my absent, beloved Connie. There seems plenty of member interest but no manufacturer connection to get a new one started.

And it appears the Admiral above has delayed or abandoned his plan to build a new one...so sad.

Hoping for new info to come to light...:wall:

Maybe the gentleman producing the 1/48 scale 3D ASB Lockheed Jetprop Electra might consider doing a Constellation in the not too distant future? 1/72 or 1/48? OK, I might be dreaming, but that's what we modelers do ... a lot! 😃

24 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Maybe the gentleman producing the 1/48 scale 3D ASB Lockheed Jetprop Electra might consider doing a Constellation in the not too distant future? 1/72 or 1/48? OK, I might be dreaming, but that's what we modelers do ... a lot! 😃

I can't even find him or it in a search! You got a phone number??

3 hours ago, Codger said:

Well I dragged out my old thread to snivel and whine about my absent, beloved Connie. There seems plenty of member interest but no manufacturer connection to get a new one started.

And it appears the Admiral above has delayed or abandoned his plan to build a new one...so sad.

Hoping for new info to come to light...:wall:

Not "delayed or abandoned" - just on hold whilst I argue with myself about what I should use for the natural metal finish. Foil or Alclad? Decisions, decisions ...

48 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Not "delayed or abandoned" - just on hold whilst I argue with myself about what I should use for the natural metal finish. Foil or Alclad? Decisions, decisions ...

I vote foil...:wicked: Maybe even BMF .

11 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Thanks Space Ranger, that was what I was looking for to pass to him. Hope it helps.

• Like 1