L-1049 Connie - where are they?

Codger

Just now, Codger said:

If you mean 'scratch-BUILD' Steve, I am sadly untalented to do that....:shrug:

Yes, of course I mean scratchbuild!

Ive seen your work over on the cars section and you could do this while sleeping.

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yes, of course I mean scratchbuild!

Ive seen your work over on the cars section and you could do this while sleeping.

Haha, very kind Steve, but maybe in the past, no longer. :nono: Not capable of eye or hand and probably not brain...:mental:

Actually, I'm good at sleeping now...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m wondering...with doubt...if anyone truly knows “why” there isn’t a quality tooled larger scale than 1/72 for the beautiful Connie. Certainly would be welcomed. And I have to agree with the statement above, regarding “if a 1/32 scale B-17 could be tooled, then so could a Connie.” I’d buy one! Meanwhile...take a look here.....

Paul

Great link and photo - thanks for both. That's a beautiful 1/72 build.

This thread shows that there's plenty of enduring interest in a new one. The earlier statement about the existing 1/32 giants from HK sums it perfectly.

I just wish we had personal contact with a manufacturer....:wall:

Slightly off topic, but I figure Connie fans will be reading this so ...

I want to build a C-69 based on (in the absence of anything else) a Heller 749. But here is my problem - my collection is exclusively aircraft in their operational WWII colours. Now as far as I can tell, the few C-69s in service before the end of the war were in OD/NG scheme. I really can't bring myself to do this to the Connie's graceful lines, esp. as she will be sitting beside a planned natural metal DC-4.

Does anyone know if any of the war service C-69s operated in natural metal? Or better still, does anyone know of a picture of such an aircraft? I've found a couple for the period but can't determine whether these were operational or not,

Thanks

Colin

1 hour ago, ckw said:

Slightly off topic, but I figure Connie fans will be reading this so ...

I want to build a C-69 based on (in the absence of anything else) a Heller 749. But here is my problem - my collection is exclusively aircraft in their operational WWII colours. Now as far as I can tell, the few C-69s in service before the end of the war were in OD/NG scheme. I really can't bring myself to do this to the Connie's graceful lines, esp. as she will be sitting beside a planned natural metal DC-4.

Does anyone know if any of the war service C-69s operated in natural metal? Or better still, does anyone know of a picture of such an aircraft? I've found a couple for the period but can't determine whether these were operational or not,

Thanks

Colin

Here:

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/lockheed-c-69-constellation/

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/c-69/c-69-43-10315/

Chris

53 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Many thanks for fascinating story and lovely pix Chris. But it only makes the pain of not having a new tool, larger scale one available, more painful.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Chris - I was aware of that aircraft, but what isn't clear is whether or not it was used operationally - and if so, was it re-painted before service.

Yes - I'm being picky, but lets face it obsessiveness is rather a trait amongst modellers!

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

OK, I'm taking a stab in the dark, but please follow my thinking. Zvezda released the C-130, a plane used internationally and quite popular, so sales of the model, given generally enthusiastic reviews, should be brisk. I have to wonder if Zvezda would consider a Constellation. Not likely we'd get one of the early models but one of the 1049 series, which was widely used by a large number of airlines and saw military use too. I'm confident model companies do, in fact, review modeling web sites from time to time and I suspect the interest shown here just might be cause for some consideration. My two cents worth.

• Like 1

Gentlepersons - do you REALLY want a new Connie or Super Connie? Go immediately to the Rumourmonger thread; there you will find a topic on Zvedza's plans for 2021 and a link to their Facebook page, on which wishes can be recorded. I've asked for a new L.049/649/749 (for our purposes, the same basic airframe with different engines and other details), a new L.1049 (any variant) and, just for Mum and the kids, a new F.27. If anyone's going to do them, it will be Zvedza. Get over there and vote!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

OK, I'm taking a stab in the dark, but please follow my thinking. Zvezda released the C-130, a plane used internationally and quite popular, so sales of the model, given generally enthusiastic reviews, should be brisk. I have to wonder if Zvezda would consider a Constellation. Not likely we'd get one of the early models but one of the 1049 series, which was widely used by a large number of airlines and saw military use too. I'm confident model companies do, in fact, review modeling web sites from time to time and I suspect the interest shown here just might be cause for some consideration. My two cents worth.

Well things happen fast! In response to SAT's post here I decided nothing ventured nothing gained so I went directly to Zvezda's web site and sent the following email:

Dear Sirs,

I am a member of a model building forum in the UK and many of us have expressed interest in a new tool model of the famous Lockheed 1049 Continental.

Here is a link to my posting on that forum and the enthusiastic response by the membership:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235082656-l-1049-connie-where-are-they/

Your company has been highly regarded for excellent models by our group. We hope you see enough interest to create and model in either 1/72, 1/48 or 1/32 scale such an aircraft. We have expert model builders here who can easily accomplish such large scales. To my knowledge, there is currently no other such model available by any other manufacturer.

Sincere thanks and am looking forward to your response.

And then I saw the Admiral's post !

I hope you all are pleased with my presentation. So at least we have some irons in the fire. And I finally did something besides whine...........

Will keep you posted.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Gentlepersons - do you REALLY want a new Connie or Super Connie? Go immediately to the Rumourmonger thread; there you will find a topic on Zvedza's plans for 2021 and a link to their Facebook page, on which wishes can be recorded. I've asked for a new L.049/649/749 (for our purposes, the same basic airframe with different engines and other details), a new L.1049 (any variant) and, just for Mum and the kids, a new F.27. If anyone's going to do them, it will be Zvedza. Get over there and vote!

I noted the entry regarding the Constellation and noted several regarding the 757-200. Here's hoping for both!