KUTA XIII Chat

Enzo the Magnificent

Hi Enzo,

no, I don't have one... I have dozens of shelves with models at various stages of non completion!

So this is the perfect occasion to finish two of the most advanced kits I've got, so as not jeopardize the other two kits I have entered into the Heller GB. Gee, listen to me, I am saying these pompous things, as if I have the faintest clue what I am talking about!

First, and because I owe it to @JOCKNEY there will be the 1/72 FROG MS 406, which I should have finished eons ago. Painted already: a few touch ups and then decals.

Then I have the 1/72 Zvezda Me Bf 109 F-2 in their Easy Kit range. It is almost ready for painting.

That should keep me out of mischief for quite a while. Or so I hope!

Cheers

JR

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't have a shelf of shame ... it's much worse than that. My master spreadsheet tells a dark tale of just how many unfinished kits I have. You really, really, really don't want to know. A couple that are (comfortably) under 25% are earmarked for other GBs, but that still leaves a lot of choice. Too much choice.

How far advanced can a kit be and still qualify for this GB?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I' don't think I will ever clear it!  Still have around 30+ stared kits haunting the cave.

Like Pat a few of the started one have parts all over the place.I have a lovely full box of airliner engines that need reuniting with the rest of the kit.

So I suppose I should start to try and bring the engines and airframe together, expect one of two airliners from me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I'll be joining the party Enzo, I still have a 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury to try and finish, a hangover from the In the Navy GB.

Shame on you John!!!!

Only one kit that has been gathering a little dust on your pristine shelf?!!!

Not only are you pouring buckets of shame over all of us, poor modelers, but you are making us feel Oh so inadequate!!!!

I will have to get hold of your neighbors and give them some ideas of songs for their Friday Karaoke night!!! 

What are friends for?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, klr said:

How far advanced can a kit be and still qualify for this GB?

That's a question that has never come up before.   I would say that if ypou haven't sat back and said "Well, it's finished" then its eligible for this GB. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

That's a question that has never come up before.   I would say that if ypou haven't sat back and said "Well, it's finished" then its eligible for this GB. 

As long as a kit is marked as "In Progress" on The Spreadsheet, I still have work to do on it, maybe a little, maybe a lot. But once I mark it as "Complete", then that's that, even if I do sneak back to touch it up here and there. Like I would ever do that ...

Anyway, I'll have to take a long hard look at what can be finished. I'm already heavily committed on other GBs, as I didn't realise this was coming up.

There are all sorts reasons why a particular kit might be unfinished. I'm looking straight across at an Airfix He 177 that's been sitting on the mantelpiece for over 18 months. There's a story behind that one. There's an Airfix Boeing 314 Clipper keeping it company, and that's been stalled for other reasons. For much of the rest, I lost the modelling mojo, or got stuck on some detail that I couldn't resolve, or moved onto other kits, or some combination of all these. That's the good thing about committing in public.to building a kit by a certain date. There are no excuses unless the damn thing gets trashed beyond redemption*.

*Or, in the case of the Navy GB, it was too much to take on, given my lack of experience in Naval modelling. But I will finish what I started there ... sometime.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, klr said:

As long as a kit is marked as "In Progress" on The Spreadsheet, I still have work to do on it, maybe a little, maybe a lot. But once I mark it as "Complete", then that's that, even if I do sneak back to touch it up here and there. Like I would ever do that ...

My version of The Spreadsheet also has a column like that.  Other allowed values in that column include:

Proposed    I've considered the project and think it's feasible within certain dates

Awaiting     The dates are now confirmed

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

My version of The Spreadsheet also has a column like that.  Other allowed values in that column include:

Proposed    I've considered the project and think it's feasible within certain dates

Awaiting     The dates are now confirmed

I suppose I should add these, and integrate them with the sheet showing a calendar of GBs.

I've never got around to putting in start/end dates for a kit, which would be interesting/embarrassing, and other things besides. It was never required back in the day, as I always built kits as soon as I got them, at least until c. 1986 or 1987. The Spreadsheet only took form a few years later, once I got the hang of the technical side of things, and my own first computer (... the stories I could tell about those days!)

I also rank unbuilt kits on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 = "So bad, I wouldn't give it away", 2 = "Someone would probably want to buy it second hand, if they were foolish enough" all the way through to: 9 = "You'll have to prise it from my cold, dead fingers", 10 = "If I haven't built it before I croak, then it's going with me to the Great Modelling Bench in the Sky".

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, klr said:

I've never got around to putting in start/end dates for a kit, which would be interesting/embarrassing, and other things besides.

I have a calendar sheet where I track/forecast my daily tasks.   I put in the end date for the GB and have a VBA subroutine that calculates how much wiggle room I have before the end of the GB.  If I don't complete all the scheduled tasks in a weekend, I have other VBA subroutines that either delay the whole project for a week or nudge it for a day.   In both cases the subroutine warns me if the completion date goes within 14 days of the GB end (and also raises the priority of that build) or if it goes beyond the end of the GB.  In that case it puts up a dialog box calling me a random rude name.

Another sheet is called "Project Forecast".    This tells me:

How many tasks I have scheduled for each day of the next month.  Ideally I try and keep that to 25 or below

How many projects I have ongoing at the moment.  Ideally I try to keep that to 12 or below (although I can change that figure and watch the forecast change).     Currently my build count stands at 15...  :shrug:

The next date on which I can start an unscheduled project and still stay within my designated limit.  Currently that stands at 1 December.

How many ongoing builds I will have on each weekend of the next six months. 

If I delay builds in the Daily Tasks sheet, the data cascades through to the Project Forecast sheet.

Yes...   I agree.  I need to get a life.   But on the other hand, I don't want to!  :lol:  

• Haha 4

Don't have any shelf sitters.  Although some days I believe these HobbyBoss Mig 17 and F4F-3 should go sit on a shelf (or maybe trash bin).  Closest thing I have to a shelf sitter is the Revell 1/48 Stearman.  It's basically done except rigging...........I hate rigging.  It's been sitting like that for most the year.

1 minute ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Closest thing I have to a shelf sitter is the Revell 1/48 Stearman.  It's basically done except rigging...........I hate rigging.  It's been sitting like that for most the year.

Sounds like an ideal candidate!  :thumbsup: 

I decided to make KUTA an all year long project, so with every GB I enter, I also intend to finish one of the earlier builds. 

Nevrrtheless I have some projects o  which i want to focus during KUTA XIII:

First the desk of doom:

KUTA

I would really want to finish the Jaguar and the Super Entendard first. then maybe the Draken. The problem with the Draken is, it is supposed to get a spliter scheme, and I am to afraid to mask it out. Also very few references on the Draken spliter scheme available on the Internet :(

Edited by Anatol Pigwa
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jean said:

Shame on you John!!!!

Only one kit that has been gathering a little dust on your pristine shelf?!!!

Not only are you pouring buckets of shame over all of us, poor modelers, but you are making us feel Oh so inadequate!!!!

I will have to get hold of your neighbors and give them some ideas of songs for their Friday Karaoke night!!! 

What are friends for?

Have a lot of fun!

JR

:lol: Ohhh nooo! Not more nights of Karaoke pain.

I am only claiming one unfinished for this year Jean. There are many more started projects still lingering on the shelf or in their box, so there is no need to feel disheartened. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

I'm in. With a French flavour as well.

I've got a few unfinished early Heller French Airforce planes that won't fit in the Heller Group Build currently running as they are way past the 25% built rule. It would be nice to get them done though, especially as I'm on a roll with the Heller stuff at the moment!

Here's the kits in question. 

20201104-152117.jpg

The Amiot is not far from completion, the Potez 540 and the SMER MB 200 are each about half done and the little Caudron needs stripping right back to bare bones and doing again, this time in French markings. The LeO in the box at the back isn't too far from completion but I'm thinking of maybe a new paintjob, maybe not though. 

Plenty to be getting on with there, and if I actually get them all done I will be a happy chappie!

Tony.

• Like 6

I'll be in once I get something in the Heller GB gallery - plenty to choose from, and I'll probably start with my Kawasaki OH-6DA that very naughtily refused to be finished for the Chopper GB. 😡

• Like 1

So what have we here then? No, not a Ferrero Rocher box, although they do come in handy, especially the smaller ones that can be used to display all but the biggest 1/72 AFV kits.

DSC01397_dr_025.jpg

These all comes from two Plastic Soldier Company quick-build triple kits, and one Pegasus Hobbies quick-build double kit. I went on a mad binge buying quick-build AFV kits last year from these companies, as well as Armourfast, First to Fight and Italeri. I blame the ever-impending spectre of Brexit.

Top left: 3 x Plastic Soldier Company Marder III, Sd.Kfz. 139, with the captured Soviet 76.2 mm gun

Middle left: 2 x Plastic Soldier Company Marder III Ausf. H, Sd.Kfz. 138, the other Marder III with a mid-mounted gun, the 75mm PaK 40

Bottom left: 1 x Plastic Soldier Company Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) (aka LT vz. 38)

Bottom centre: 2 x Pegasus Hobbies Panzerkampfwagen 38(t)

The rest is all the parts yet to be fitted, or temporarily removed for compact storage. I have included  3 of the 6 figure sprues from the Panzer 38(t)/Marder III triple kits. These should be enough, but if I need more figures, I have 3 other sprues.

How advanced are these kits? I doubt I spent more than 5 - 6 hours combined on them so far. They really are quick build. But I could probably spend that amount of time painting and finishing each one of them. The single-piece track and running gear parts on each kit are not yet glued in place, as I'll need to remove them to facilitate painting. So this batch of kits is probably about 15% complete, in terms of total time to be be spent.

I will probably complete these in three build threads, one for each type of vehicle. The Sd.Kfz. 139 will probably be first, as I have a good idea of the colour schemes I want to paint them in. I'll have to find some generic spare decals for all the kits.

If truth be told, I have about 10 more batches of c. 6 quick-build AFV kits each on the Shelf of Shame (which is mostly under the bed). I wouldn't mind if there were several KUTA group builds every year.

Edited by klr
  • Like 3