Mercury & Gemini black question

I have been waiting for an epoch to start this project:

I intend to build the Revell/Monogram 1/48 Mercury/Gemini combo I have the Real Space correction kits Space Model Systems & New Ware decal sheets for both as well as thei Agena docking target. I also have a 1/48 Titan and Atlas booster too - but, I'm going to leave those for the time being.

In addition I intend to build the the 1/24 Revell Gemini kit (the 2014 iteration with the crisp white styrene) and I have the LVM Interior detail set and the Real Space external upgrade kits as well - the Space Systems ultimate decals sheet as well as a pair of Max Grüter 1/24 astronaut figures. I have the nice 1/24 Real Space Agena to pair it with too.

If that is not enough, I'm going to build the Atomic City/MRC 1/12 Mercury. The only upgrade I have for this are the Space Systems decal sheet, the Max Grüter 1/12 astronaut figure and 1/12 resin stand inscribed with the Greco-Roman Mercury symbol with the number 7 inside. No idea who made the latter or where I bought it from but its a large very nicely cast piece of resin.

Does anyone know the black used on both Mercury and Gemini, I have a ton of reference material but can't nail that colour - I have more than an incling it was a blue/black rather than an outright black - can anybody assist me?

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

Hi Tommo, if you google, you will find all sorts of advice from brownish to blueish for the unflown shingles .  Part of the problem is that old colour photos have problems rendering black.  On my 1:12 version, I went for a very dark gray, then blended in a little bit of very dark blue.  I would not make it metallic, as the surface was deliberately oxidised to improve its heat rejection and was uniform.   After re-entry the colour was a dark gray, and a little less uniform. 

Regards

Tim  

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Hi Tommo, if you google, you will find all sorts of advice from brownish to blueish for the unflown shingles .  Part of the problem is that old colour photos have problems rendering black.  On my 1:12 version, I went for a very dark gray, then blended in a little bit of very dark blue.  I would not make it metallic, as the surface was deliberately oxidised to improve its heat rejection and was uniform.   After re-entry the colour was a dark gray, and a little less uniform. 

Regards

Tim  

Thanks Tim, particulary on your paint finish suggestions.

I have over the years trawled through most the online resources and I have various books including the Haynes books and also I have my own photos taken at the Smithsonian and the CKVC last year (albeit the photos were taken on a crappy phone camera I had back then) and I'm still undecided.

In the smaller scale I might get away with a colour closer to black, but in the larger scale I don't think in my opinion that will pass muster - I'll keep searching, reading and pondering.

Oh! I forgot to mention I have both the Crows Nest 1/32  Mercury kits  (porthole and window versions), however, they are currently not on the build schedule, yet!

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

For my still-incomplete Horizon Mercury-Atlas I painted the capsule matt black then gave it an overcoat of transparent blue, which looks okay. However in 1/72 scale the capsule is only about an inch long; I'm not sure how it would look on a larger model. All my previous Mercury and Geminis have been painted matt black but I was never completely satisfied with the results.

• Like 1