As it is my first effort, I thought a gentle approach to this would be best. So intending to just do an out of the box build, with the addition of a metal pitot tube (the plastic ones always seem to break) and some different decals. I've gone for the 1987 display scheme from RAF Brawdy XX159 - grey top and bottom with a yellow stripe. 

I expect that, thanks to the next lock-in, progress will be quick!

lMsDfxb.jpg

And they're off!

RbxkYX7.jpg

Primed and ready for painting

Edited by HobbyPaul
Added pictures
  • Like 6

Welcome down here in group builds the camaraderie and fun is great but these can be a bit addictive. If you get a chance take a look at the poll thats up and running. You can vote for up to nine options. The top nine builds at the end of November will get time slots/dates next year. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Next stages. Cockpit painted and aircraft assembled. Will prime, once Mr Postie delivers my grey primer. Not really worked at this scale and you appreciate just how small everything is! 

Going for just light armament, not sure if the display version would have any armament, but is seems a shame to leave it off altogether.

Question - there appears to be a number of large holes on the sides and one on the top, which I can't see anything that is attached to them (see last picture). Is this correct or have I missed something? 

9YBlDr6l.jpg.  vGq5gsxl.jpg

c4XwWZul.jpg.  mN774eul.jpg

My thanks to fellow modeller, who pointed out about adding the lead weights - I would have forgotten them!

Hk35Oxjl.jpg

Z6aL4Ezl.jpgFTKlvOOl.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HobbyPaul said:

Next stages. Cockpit painted and aircraft assembled. Will prime, once Mr Postie delivers my grey primer. Not really worked at this scale and you appreciate just how small everything is! 

Going for just light armament, not sure if the display version would have any armament, but is seems a shame to leave it off altogether.

Question - there appears to be a number of large holes on the sides and one on the top, which I can't see anything that is attached to them (see last picture). Is this correct or have I missed something? 

9YBlDr6l.jpg.  vGq5gsxl.jpg

c4XwWZul.jpg.  mN774eul.jpg

My thanks to fellow modeller, who pointed out about adding the lead weights - I would have forgotten them!

Hk35Oxjl.jpg

Z6aL4Ezl.jpgFTKlvOOl.jpg

Hi Paul I don’t think you have missed anything.  Does seem odd though. 

Dave

On 11/8/2020 at 3:59 PM, HobbyPaul said:

12 hours ago, Davek72 said:

Hi Paul I don’t think you have missed anything.  Does seem odd though. 

Dave

I'm glad you asked this before me, Paul. I haven't the foggiest what they are. They are on the real thing on online pictures. I've seen one build of this that seemed to have blanking behind each hole, and I did think that looked better. I'm sure someone here will know what they are.

Alan 

On 08/11/2020 at 15:59, HobbyPaul said:

there appears to be a number of large holes on the sides and one on the top,

The aft one on each side is a vent of some sort from the engine, and is often used to hook the strops of the jet pipe cover into.

The next one forward on each side is a pressure gauge for the hydraulic accumulators, and is glazed flush with the surface.

The big hole on the top of the spine is the APU exhaust (and should be slightly offset to port.)

The one below this on the port side is a vent /drain from the APU - this hole should be about half the diameter of the kit hole

The forward one on the starboard side again should be about half the size of the kit hole, and is labelled as a hot air vent

The one above and behind this one appears to be some sort of recessed filler cap

Edited by Dave Swindell
Extra info added after checking more photo's
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

The aft one on each side is a vent of some sort from the engine, and is often used to hook the strops of the jet pipe cover into.

The next one forward on each side is a pressure gauge for the hydraulic accumulators, and is glazed flush with the surface.

The big hole on the top of the spine is the APU exhaust (and should be slightly offset to port.)

The one below this on the port side is a vent /drain from the APU

Many thanks Dave, most helpful. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 2:47 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome down here in group builds the camaraderie and fun is great but these can be a bit addictive.

Welcome indeed!  A bit addictive?  My God...it feels like the only way to build these days.  🤪