1/72 Dragon P61A Skippy. (finished)

iwik

Hi y'all!

Here's Skippy! Famously known P61A. 

A great little kit with very nice panel lines.

Cockpit from aires (cut in half to allow better painting). 

Hand painted propeller hubs and front wheel (taht was fun...)

Opened canopy.

Aires wheels.

Replaced side antennaes since the original molded ones are a centimeter too up front!

Painted with acrylics. Weathered with oils and acrylics.

A few pics of the built:

IMG-3396-2.jpg

IMG-3399-2.jpg

IMG-3400-1.jpg

IMG-3400-2.jpg

IMG-3402-001.jpg

IMG-3407-001.jpg

IMG-3413.jpg

IMG-3414.jpg

IMG-3396.jpg

IMG-3397.jpg

IMG-3398.jpg

IMG-3399.jpg

IMG-3400.jpg

IMG-3401.jpg

IMG-3402.jpg

I usually do 1/48 but due to lack of place I will make big twin engined planes in 1/72 from now on. Mostly.

See you later for a He219 of the same brand.

Ciao
Iwik

Edited by iwik
  • Like 30

Excellent. I have a real soft spot for the Black Widow.

I'd have maybe toned down the chipping slightly. Impressive work, nonetheless.

Ps I just clicked on the images to get a bigger version.

Iwik,

Very nice P-61A! I have heard and read that the Dragon kit is a real challenge, fit-wise, but is well detailed and accurate. Any major fit issues when you built yours? Not a fan of the OD/grey scheme, but you have done it very well and those prop spinners are outstanding! It does look like Dragon got the curved contour of the upper fuselage between the front and rear cockpits  correct, unlike the Hobbyboss P-61A.

Mike

42 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Iwik,

Very nice P-61A! I have heard and read that the Dragon kit is a real challenge, fit-wise, but is well detailed and accurate. Any major fit issues when you built yours? Not a fan of the OD/grey scheme, but you have done it very well and those prop spinners are outstanding! It does look like Dragon got the curved contour of the upper fuselage between the front and rear cockpits  correct, unlike the Hobbyboss P-61A.

Mike

Hi!

Thank you all for the nice comments!

IanC you probably looked at the close-up pic where the weathering does show up. But this was taken before any weathering done with oils and other. It is much more subtle in the end.

72modeler: so I heard! But nothing really bad happened. As of all twin boomers, you have to be extra careful to align everything correctly, but it went on like a charm. So did the fit of the canopies. No issues there either. However, the kit does require a bit of putty, but nothing to be really upset about. On the other hand, I did commit some blunder as I built one of the engine upside down and realized my mistake and all weathering was done. So I carefully unglued the engine and did everything all over again. Make sure you insert the engines correctly unlike since mine, certainly because of the lead I inserted inside, were a little bit too forward. Other than that...

Ciao

Iwik

• Haha 1