Completed - Airfix 1/72 Spitfire F Mk.22

Hi all, here is my latest off the bench, the Airfix 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22.

F43KUy7.jpg

I set myself the challenge of getting this one built within a month, and am pleased to report I achieved my goal!

The kit was built with a few additions, namely:

- Aires Tail Surfaces

- SBM Models Exhaust and Gun Barrells

- Pavla Cockpit Set

- Eduard RAF Seatbelts

- Jay’s Model Kits Vacuform Canopy

LU3trdl.jpg

I also added some other minor details, including brake lines. I had some trouble with the wing fit, but this was probably self induced. I decided to glue the upper wing halves to the fuselage before the lower wing was joined; this meant a lovely clean wing root gap up top, but caused some troubles around the flaps, leading edges and rear wing joint; this was sorted out with a little filler and rescribing.

The decals are Xtradexcal set X72-128; I liked the looks of the silver machine, so I went with PK570 from 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron, Royal Auxilliary Air Force. I did find that the Xtradecals crinkled under microsol, and didn’t fully flatten back out in places. I pondered what to do with this but left it ‘as is’; it’s not really noticeable until you spot it under the right light.

I painted the kit overall in Alclad RAF High Speed Silver, as the real machines were painted and not left natural metal. The one picture I had of this machine showed it very clean and well maintained, so I kept weathering to a minimum.

OwXrrYi.jpg

Overall, I had a good time with this build; the kit captures the lovely sleek yet pointy lines of the penultimate mark of spitfire.

Anyways, here are some pictures, starting with the interior and moving to the final product:

7EKIBKL.jpg

BJY43iA.jpg

GeYom95.jpg

7tycU7i.jpg

HNpEVZO.jpg

m292RTp.jpg

d47mKlI.jpg

YdlIoe4.jpg

tUKJj5t.jpg

9TikU2J.jpg

WzEMLy4.jpg

rqnYmqz.jpg

And in a more scenic setting:

2RuYsxM.jpg

AAyH2mv.jpg

And for size comparison:

PjL2eSZ.jpg

And lastly, because I couldn’t resist (and please humour me), here is my interpretation of the kit boxing if this one had been released 25 years earlier, back in the mid-80’s Palatoy days :)

cLjWk3d.jpg

I did a similar tick with the old Airfix Albatros D.Va, HERE

Thanks again – all comments and feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

BC

• Like 54
  • Thanks 5

I agree with janneman36's comments- looks more like a 1/48 kit than 1/72, and then you pose it next to the Humbrol tin; very nice model- don't see all that many of the Airfix kit built, for some reason, but it sure seems to be a very nice kit. 👍

Mike

Thanks all, you're all too kind :)

Vinnie - the silver is Alclad RAF High Speed Silver - it lays down very nicely and is tough as nails, unlike other Alclads which can seem a bit fragile. Not sure why that's the case, does anyone know?

Cheers,

BC

• 3 weeks later...