Neville Duke's Spitfire Vb ER821

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Ozzy.

Here's the cockpit. I'm not the greatest cockpit builder, most of my builds are with a closed canopy. I added Eduard seatbelts and a surplus Eduard PE instrument panel.

kgXcY8e.jpg

A couple of reasons for this build...

*I'm hoping to build (at least) one Spitfire for each year from 1938 to 1945. So far, I have 1940, 1941 and 1944 covered. 1939 and 1942 are under construction. 1938 will be in the Interceptor GB.

This one will represent 1943.

* One of the few people who get to see my models for real is Graham, my niece's English boyfriend. His late father fought in the desert. For Graham's next visit, I'll finally have something in Desert colours.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Construction is pretty much complete and she's standing on her landing gear.

This is my first Hasegawa Mk V, it's also the first time that I have this type of prop attachment. My plan is to paint the spinner and the blades separately with all attachment points masked off.

kXWezBX.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 4

That spinner attachment set up does look unusual. Looking at your earlier sprues shot I see the spinner is in two pieces (base + forward spinner) ... How does the base piece go on over the "disks" in the built-in shaft? Odd.

Hi,

The base piece has no trouble sliding over those disks. The whole spinner fits very loosely onto the shaft until the blades are inserted into the holes in the spinner. Maybe the three blades create enough tension without glue to keep themselves and the spinner onto the disk.

I'm going to use glue. So, the prop won't spin, but I'd rather I have that than lose the blades over time.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Hi,

Over the last couple of days, I have painted the model.

I started with the Azure Blue on the underside. That went well, I looked at the underside and thought "That is a beautiful colour".

Then the Middle Stone...it didn't go that well. I'm not having much luck with Xtrylics. I did use the brand's own thinner, but the paint became a thick goo that clogged up the airbrush. After cleaning and with more thinner, I finished the job.

For the Dark Earth, I went with Mr Paint.

Some touch-ups will be necessary: probably due to the amount of thinner, some Middle Stone got below the masking and onto the Azure Blue.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Hi,

Another paint session, another adventure with Xtrylics.

I wanted to add some Azure Blue where some paint had peeled off and where some Mid Stone got through the masking. My second bottle of RAF Azure Blue turned out to be much darker than the one I used the first time.

The quality of the paint was not satisfactory either. I resprayed with the original bottle and all was fine again.

I'll leave this to dry for a while and then spray a coat of Future before the decalling begins.

twOVL9G.jpg

wTgvVyt.jpg

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I finally finished this one today, the 1st of January.

As we had some sunny spells, I decided to take the photographs outside on a bit of sand.

My model looks better from a good 2 feet away, but I do like it.  

Notwithstanding the flaws, I'm happy to have a model of Neville Duke's ER821. Maybe some day, I'll build a better model of his ER220.

49a12LV.jpg

d4dKbeB.jpg

More pictures in the gallery.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 4