undersurface colours on this typhoon

brewerjerry

Hi

found this wilst browsing the net

the flaps seem to be black coloured and the rudder and elevators a different colour to the rest ?

or is it just shadowing ? 

https://www.mediastorehouse.com.au/mary-evans-prints-online/hawker-typhoon-1b-nose-type-event-war-14222724.html?prodid=8105

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
typo

1 minute ago, Work In Progress said:

The flaps are striped black and white, if you look closely, but in shadow. The elevators are the normal Medium Sea Grey

Hi  

you are right i can see it now you mention it 

cheers

jerry 

I think you are just seeing surfaces in shadow.

I am NOT an expert in vintage photographIc equipment or films by any means, but it's been my observation that WW2-era black-and-white films can be very "contrasty," I.e. show variations in tone which seem disproportional to differences in lighting. When you see multiple photos of one aircraft, it's not unusual for an area that looks lighter than its surroundings in one image, to seem darker in the next, for instance. On complex finishes (such as mottling on German aircraft) it can often leave you really scratching your head...

Edited by MDriskill

The thing with photographic emulsions is that they were all - in varying degrees - extremely sensitive to variations in the ultraviolet spectrum, which the human eye cannot see at all, but which show up as tones of grey on film, and that photographers routinely used coloured filters to try and improve (or reduce) contrast.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2020 at 7:58 PM, krow113 said:

I believe too , that  those were id stripes , prior to D Day these planes were striped to id them from the FW190's.

Which is what you would expect as the photo was taken on 11 February 1943.  US-T DN277 overshot its landing run at Matlask.

• Like 1