Hobbyboss 1/72 F-14 "Miss Molly"

My 1/72 Hobbyboss F-14A is now complete. The build was chronicled in a work in progress thread that allowed me to voice some of the frustrations that the build presented and for the fabulous support from the membership here to help maintain my enthusiasm for the build, which had become a little strained on occasion. So, thank you all for that.

This started with a number of early lockdown messages back and forth with a old friend, realising that we shared other interests to the ones we knew, and started a good lockdown-relieving ongoing discussion surrounding F14 kits’ accuracies, oddities, benefits and shortcuts. As a result, the stash of to be built models increased so that most of the “modern” offerings are now sat on the shelf awaiting attention. Whilst initially inspired by the Finemolds kit articles that had appeared in mags earlier in the year, and falling back in love with the colourful scheme of Fighter Squadron 111, and eventually acquiring a FM kit, the details it offered looked as though some practice would be needed elsewhere first if I was to achieve a finish that I was satisfied with.

Having read plenty of articles, I realised that to achieve the type of finish I sought, moving from enamels to acrylics might be useful. I’d always used enamels for railway (railmatch and precision enamels) and humbrol enamels on aircraft (even back in the 80s when I last built them), so it was what I was familiar with. But the results and subtle effects that seemed potentially achievable with acrylics seemed too good to ignore. On this, I’d read up on a number of paint systems, realising that there’s a need to deal with the paint, thinner and airbrush cleaner almost as a set. Tony Oliver’s impressive Hobbyboss Tomcat thread (which was an inspiration) covered a number of different paint systems and it was the Mission Models paints that I eventually decided upon. When it came to colour matching the red of the Furball transfers, the MM Insignia red didn’t suit, and I ended up trying some MRP acrylic lacquers whose insignia red was a perfect match. So, in order to try out the paint systems and experiment a bit, a simpler kit than the FM one was sought.

The Hobbyboss kit was seen as one of the simpler modern offerings, and therefore a good place to start. On inspection (and following Tony Oliver’s thread) a number of improvements and fixes were identified ... and a selection of aftermarket bits purchased, some prototype bits tried and some scratch building using plasticard, stretched sprue and some metal wire were incorporated. Whilst simpler and cheaper than most kits, I suppose that by the time I’d finished, the cost was comparable to a GWH kit, and the difficulties experienced meant that the swear jar contents would probably fund the next few builds.

Anyway, I need to finish the WIP thread with the last assembly shots (I must do that) but a summary of the alterations and new bits follows. If I remember anything else after I’ve posted this, I’ll update the post.

1.      Rear Ventral fins removed and replaced. Initially with Quickboost bits that were fragile and finally with GWH kit fins (each kit has two sets)

2.      Quickboost IR/TV optical and ALQ-100 undernose antenna. The F-14A kit only has the original ALQ-100 antenna and whilst I noticed that the optical unit is available in the F-14D kit (that I had in the stash too), the Quickboost one was crisper.

3.      The pilot seats sat quite low and looked a little simple; replaced with Aires seats. Detailed with Eduard painted photoetch parts.

4.      Cockpit tub detailed with Eduard painted photoetch parts

5.      Front and rear outside cockpit step reinforcement removed (sanded down and re-engrave)

6.      Scratchbuilt and then sourced resin replacement triangular frame for aft of RIO’s seat.

7.      Canopy and cockpit frame detailing per Eduard photoetch parts

8.      Masters turned brass alpha probe and AOA probe

9.      Additional spine antenna removed (not needed for 161621)

10.   Fuel tanks repositioned by about 4.5mm aft and 1mm outboard of provisioned holes

11.   Eduard external photo etch parts set – where appropriate.

12.   Eduard internal photo etch parts set – where appropriate.

13.   Wheels: Armoury nose wheels and True Details main wheels

14.   Undercarriage doors (resin quickboost hybrid) and originals with Eduard PE

15.   Scratch built tail cap fairing

16.   Aires engine exhausts and cans; reheat ring Aires/Eduard combination

17.   Transfers by Furball, adapted to suit dimensions of Hobbyboss model and some from the kit.

18.   Paints a combination of Mission Models and MRP, metal sections using Alclad II and some interior details using Humbrol enamels. Misson Models and Alclad (Aqua gloss) varnish.

... and probably some bits I forgot.

Some bits I’ve ignored, such as the inner glove stiffeners being too short, the intakes lacking any form of detail and the wing access cover engravings being a work of fiction.

So, without further ado, or waffle, here’s some photos.

50548091066_c25c106635_h.jpgTomcat Miss Molly study by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50545376081_673d8c6cd6_h.jpgSundowners CAG Bird rear quarter by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50549798428_1d4dd4998b_h.jpgCockpit and canopy detail by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50550660877_fb2de4d414_h.jpgCockpit details by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50549801318_bb39390b71_h.jpgTailpipe and reheat rings detail by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50554363173_d0e8b31314_h.jpgundersides by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50555379511_da19ed217e_h.jpgF-14 top side by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50552141461_0b72bd4f1b_h.jpgSundowners CAG by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

It was a build that I'm pleased is finished... and now time to ponder some crew (I've some Reedoak ones that arrived) and then the next Grumman Cat.

Jonathan

• Like 59

It's obvious a lot of time, effort and expense went into completing this one and it's an outstanding outcome you've achieved. Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I've added a few more photos for good measure:

rear undersides with chaff flare dispenser details

50598302132_46c74dbe1c_h.jpgUnderside details - rear by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Nose gear details - mostly scratch built 

50597441433_a938aeff29_h.jpgNose gear details by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

A view looking down into the tub...

50597444443_23fbae9ade_h.jpgUpper details - cockpit by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Rear cans

50598192881_cdd60ce887_h.jpgUpper rear details by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

A couple of poses of the completed model, whilst I paint up some Reedoak figures

50590750623_781d1bee9b_h.jpgF-14A-125-GR Miss Molly by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I had a play with the sky replacement tool in photoshop.

50588099402_893b02e039_h.jpgSundowners' Miss Molly by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Thanks again everyone

Jonathan

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind comments. Whilst my work in progress thread will show how I documented my build, if you're looking to start a hobbyboss 1/72 Tomcat, I'd recommend a read of Tony Oliver's complete thread building a number of these... it was my inspiration for tackling his model first as it showed what could be achieved, and the model to good effect, warts n all. So, please take a look at...

I had promised myself a couple of figures to accompany the model, and purchased a handful of Reedoak Composites products ... which are delightful. I think that to do the detail proud, you need to be working in at least 1/48 as painting these at 1/72 was a challenge, given the level of detail offered. But I gave them a go. I painted just the two for now.

50601459853_29b448cb8b_h.jpgTomcat and crewmen 3 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50601460538_61141c6a1c_h.jpgTomcat and crewmen 1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

50602315902_0ea9de0044_h.jpgTomcat and crewmen 2 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

and a standard "to scale " shot  as some disbelieve it's 1/72

50602200741_ab2e5686b0_h.jpgTomcat and crewmen 4 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

thanks again all... and take a look at Tony's thread. He, is the Tomcat master

Jonathan

• Like 1

Thanks for you kind comments... whilst I plan the work on the Academy kit, I couldn't resist the occasional further shot of this one. As angles go, I don't think you can beat the rear quarter view.

50634029657_8da80a8eee_h.jpgThe Ironworks' big cat by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

thanks

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Great pictures mate

Cheers Tony. I was personally unhappy with that last one above; spent ages trying to get the WB correct and eventually gave up... and shot a similar set up with more control on the lighting - single overhead LED lamp with colour set on daylight... and some good ambient natural light too. This image is made up of about 10 photographs with different focus points combined in photoshop selectively to give the best depth of field. I must get myself a proper macro lens.

So... I prefer this one

50653964478_e8bcc4757c_h.jpgSundowners' Miss Molly by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Anyway, enough of this now; time to concentrate on the Academy kit and improvements 😉

Thanks all

Jonathan

• Like 4