Westland Lynx and variants - plans book or schematics?

bootneck

I like to use a plans book for my builds and these are normally by Warpaint Publications; however, Guidelines Publications don't appear to have one for the Westland Lynx and variants.  Does anyone know of a book on the Lynx, which has good plans/profiles , dimensions and other important details of the types?

cheers,

Mike

Mike, not what you're looking for but these may be of interest.

It's not up to date but World Air Power Journal V40 Spring 2000 has a   section' Westland Lynx variants Part 2: Basic Navel variants'.  It has sideviews  (not marking profiles).  So other issues may have more Lynx articles to cover all variants to that date.   There's also  SAM issues from 1984 and 2002 that cover it with lots of profiles but again, no 3-view scale plans. 

PM me if any of that is of use.

David

Hi David,

I am surprised at the lack of detailed plans, schematics and details out there for the Lynx.  I really should have done my research back when I was based at a Lynx squadron at Yeovilton! :banghead:

I do have WAPJ Vol.39 which has the part 1 edition and, as you say, these don't have specific plans; however, I would be grateful to get a decent scan of you part 2 article please.  I can scan this part 1 if you want it.  I shall pm you for further details.

We didn't manage to get out to FL this year, for obvious reasons, and I missed getting to visit you again, and your models, this time around.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

Aviation News Vol.5 No.7 (3rd to 16th Sept 1976) has a combined Lynx/Sea King/Commando plans section if that's any use to you? I don't have a copy myself so can't vouch if they are any good.

Mark.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2020 at 5:25 PM, bootneck said:

I like to use a plans book for my builds and these are normally by Warpaint Publications; however, Guidelines Publications don't appear to have one for the Westland Lynx and variants.  Does anyone know of a book on the Lynx, which has good plans/profiles , dimensions and other important details of the types?

The German magazine Modell Fan had a great Lynx article in 1985, with great drawings. I happen to have scanned that recently, before selling all my Modell Fans. And I made a zip of the Lynx article scans that you can download here:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/various/lynx-modell-fan.zip

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Those some of the best Lynx plans I've seen - thanks, Rob.  Just be aware if you are modelling an RN Lynx that there are some differences - some obvious, like the sonar, but some more subtle (the German Lynx tail is slightly different at the base / IRGB area, & RN Lynxes didn't have the protective 'skid' under the tail)

The areas I am trying to resolve, which aren't all that obvious on plan and profile, are the contours around the canopy/nose and the engine/gearbox casing.  Some cross-section plans in those areas would be of immense help.

cheers,
Mike

1 hour ago, David Womby said:

Thanks David.

1 hour ago, T-21 said:

The Works are selling the  Haynes manual on the Lynx for £7 ! I cannot vouch for any plans inside but  generally very good books.

I ordered that book and it arrived yesterday.  The title was "Westland Lynx 1976 to present (HAS Mk.2, Mk.3 and HMA Mk.8 models); so I was expecting a detailed book on these variants.  The first 40 pages are about the history of the design, including info on other aircraft  etc.,  and with just a few cursory images of the HAS.2 and 3, but the remaining 120 pages are dedicated solely to the HMA.8 and, as such,  this book is basically a 'walkaround' book on the Lynx HMA.8.   No diagrams, except for an exploded oblique view which is already duplicated on the cover.

Having said that, if you are a modeller wanting details on the Lynx HMA.8 then I should think this would be a must have publication, as it is literally full of close in, full colour images on the HMA.8

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Jun,

thank you for that link.   I do like your photo albums!  I shall spend a little time (perhaps a lot!) looking through them and enjoying your photo's.

Mike

• Like 1

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the earlier type of main rotor blades? I am planning to backdate the Airfix kit to the first machines in Dutch Navy service so the BERP blades need to be converted.

Robert

NeOmega Resin do a Super Lynx detail set (Top engine cover, turbines, exhausts, IR sensors, blade linkage etc) for the Hobby Boss kit, which is basically the Mk 8 stuff, but the engine bay doors can also be used for a Gulf modified Mk 3. I have used a couple of these and they are pretty good.

https://www.neomega-resin.com/172nd-super-lynx-146-p.asp

5 hours ago, RobertF said:

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the earlier type of main rotor blades? I am planning to backdate the Airfix kit to the first machines in Dutch Navy service so the BERP blades need to be converted.

Robert

Possibly.  Before I left the RN I took a PDF copy of the entire Lynx HAS Mk3 Aircrew Manual.  Unfortunately this was after the BERP blades had standardised and so the the only scale images from the CD that I put on my PC were showing the later blades.  I seem to recall though that when I took the copy, I included the earlier version of the Manual on the CD which should therefore have the drawings of the earlier blades which would have been the same as those fitted to the Dutch SH14s.  My challenge though is to find the CD given that my study has turned into a layapart store and it could be anywhere.

On 03/11/2020 at 16:38, bootneck said:

The areas I am trying to resolve, which aren't all that obvious on plan and profile, are the contours around the canopy/nose and the engine/gearbox casing.  Some cross-section plans in those areas would be of immense help.

cheers,
Mike

Which version of the Lynx are you planning to do Mike?  The engine gearbox covers on the maritime variants had a whole raft of extra intakes and appendages added for extra Gulf cooling which found themselves onto later models.

Hi Ralph,

To start with, I'm planning on the AH.1;  HAS.2 and HMA.8.  However, it is just the basic airframe shape that I am trying to get right at the moment.  I can sort the additional intakes and other lumps and bumps later.   I do have some larger scale kits of these aircraft to refer to; however, as we all know, not all kit producers kept to exact shape and dimensions; hence my request for as much tech detail as I can aquire.

If you do come across the CD then I would also be grateful if I could get info from it please.  I shall be building versions with both types of rotor blades.

cheers,

Mike

9 hours ago, RobertF said:

Robert

The main rotor dia. is 42 ft. (12.802 m) and blade cord is 1 ft. 3.5 in. (0.395 m) constant. 

(source: Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1980-81)

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Ralph,

To start with, I'm planning on the AH.1;  HAS.2 and HMA.8.  However, it is just the basic airframe shape that I am trying to get right at the moment.  I can sort the additional intakes and other lumps and bumps later.   I do have some larger scale kits of these aircraft to refer to; however, as we all know, not all kit producers kept to exact shape and dimensions; hence my request for as much tech detail as I can aquire.

If you do come across the CD then I would also be grateful if I could get info from it please.  I shall be building versions with both types of rotor blades.

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Haven't found the CD yet but I've just dropped you an email with those images I had already taken from it.

Best rgds

Ralph

• Like 1

• 4 months later...