SS Fushimi Maru - Japanese Steamer - 1914-1943

11 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Going from strength to strength - the varnish as glue works well as does Klear.

Cheers Rob, never thought about Klear.

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Those PE railings are a very innovative and effective way of replicating the deckhouse ventilation grills

Thanks Terry, it took a while to think of it, it's like others using PE ladders for bridge window frames.

9 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

"Maru" shipwrecks

Cheers Martin. As for the wrecks, I should imagine they'd be a few of them as many of them were converted to troop ships in WW2, Fushimi was herself converted to a troop ship and got sunk by US submarine Tarpon.

5 hours ago, PAUL67 said:

navigation lights you could paint the top and middle and bottom bronze

Cheers Paul. There are two per side as you've mentioned but I doubt I'll be able to paint them as you've described, they're only 3mm tall! I note from your avatar details that you scratch build merchant ships, do you follow 'Merchant Ships in Miniature' on FB? The host, Robert Wilson used to build on here and he inspired me to try this build.

3 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

The side distinctive lights looked a little different.

I've found that there will always be differences between ships and differences in the same ship over time. I've been using the museum example of Fushimi Maru as my reference and that's good enough for me.

Stuart

25 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I've found that there will always be differences between ships and differences in the same ship over time. I've been using the museum example of Fushimi Maru as my reference and that's good enough for me.

👍 The only thing that I'm 100% certain of with my models is that they're not 100% accurate. Oh well, I simply cry myself to sleep over the errors. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

👍 The only thing that I'm 100% certain of with my models is that they're not 100% accurate. Oh well, I simply cry myself to sleep over the errors. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

That’s as maybe, but they are always VERY good.

Jon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great work! I really like what you have done with those cowl ventilators. I’ve been contemplating using a similar method myself i.e. using a bit of plastic tube for the stem and a semi-spherical blob of Milliputt for the intake so it’s good to see that the idea works. 
Like you, I’ve thought that this is one component that I might resort to 3D printing for. 😞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Oh well, I simply cry myself to sleep over the errors.

I think Jeff, we can all relate to that one.

That said, I reckon most scratch-built models are more accurate than kits and at least the mistakes are your own...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great work! I really like what you have done with those cowl ventilators.

Thanks Steve. I would've sooner used the plunge mould method...

20190118-125058-1.jpg

Remember these on my Tug Everard? I currently don't have this method open to me and yes, the 3D option is the best if you can get your hands on a printer.

Stuart

• Like 6

Hi folks, another update.

20231211-112523.jpg

Finished adding the stuff to the navigation deck.

20231211-112640.jpg

Mot engine room ventilation added.

20231211-130209.jpg

Got some way into fitting the awning framework for the navigation deck. The framework is made from thin taut wire and secured with a mixture of Formula 560 & CA glues. I painted the frames and wire white before fitting but will need touching up when done. Just got to add some horizontal framing and more ventilation grilles and this area will be done. 

I can't go much further on this deck as fitting it to the ship model will become more risky. When fitted I'll then tackle the cowl vents, funnel, more wood screens, winches, more awning framework, davits and boats.

Stuart

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It looks really sweet. Sharply detailed throughout. I imagine myself walking through it as I'm sure do you.

Thanks Bertie, much appreciated. I can imagine what it must have been like walking those decks, not like deck walking on a modern liner for sure.

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Frame work looks very neat there Stuart as does the rest of the deck additions.

Cheers Keith, glad you like. The framing does look nice and I'm sure it will look fab when it's all on, bit of a pain though.

Stuart

• Like 1

That framing looks perfect Stuart. This build has come a long way since I last looked in, looking forward to reading back and catching up. Those telegraphs also look great, and lovely creative use of PE for the ventilation gratings. 

Cheers,

Andy

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 8:30 AM, robgizlu said:

That framing is near perfect - everything is so precise on this build Stuart - rather wonderful.

Thanks very much Rob but I don't think you're looking hard enough.

On 12/13/2023 at 12:37 PM, Ngantek said:

Those telegraphs also look great, and lovely creative use of PE for the ventilation gratings. 

Cheers Andy, much appreciated.

On 12/13/2023 at 3:21 PM, Faraway said:

Beautiful.

Thanks Jon, just wish I could build it a little faster.

Not much to show...

20231215-152800.jpg

More grilles added to the lower red structures. Started more framing, there are loads to do.

Stuart

• Like 12

On 12/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

the detail you've added make this model stand out.

Cheers Jeff, the details take so long...

20231218-114151.jpg

Awning frame on the aft boat deck now done. Not easy to handle now...

20231218-114219.jpg

So it had to fitted to the mothership, looking rather swish. In this position the rest of the boat deck parts can be sorted and fitted. Onwards...

Stuart

• Like 13

Last update until after Christmas.

20231223-105302.jpg

The chimney. After priming, the stack was painted Tamiya white. Masking was done before the majority was painted Tamiya black. When all dry, a gloss goat was applied before applying the red decal strip that I pinched from RAF tail markings. Sealed in with a satin coat.

As the funnel dries, I then started a search for a long enough PE ladder to reach the funnel platform that will be fitted on the forward face of the funnel. Also working pipework that will also need to be fitted. Last but not least, the funnel platform that I'm doing out of plasticard with PE railings.

I wish all followers, likers and passerbyers a Happy Christmas :party::cheers:. See you anon.

Stuart

• Like 13

Thought I'd give you guys the heads up on what follows this build.

20231227-132412.jpg

The good wife got me this for Crimbo. Never built anything like this before and will undoubtedly please @Bertie McBoatface and some others although it's not everyone's cup-of-tea. I think this will be another slow burn like this Fushimi that is still some way off from completion.

Since the last update, I've formed some funnel pipework, found a length of PE ladder and manufactured the funnel platform, now awaiting priming. Have also cut to size some but not all cowl vents and painted them black. Davits also painted black. I've also found some Bob's Buckles eyelets that I will use in conjunction with the funnel stays, that'll be interesting.

Stuart

• Like 8