Humdrum Hawk

Pappy

7 hours ago, Pappy said:

Is there some sort of cover placed over the aft seat or are the straps clipped together and tightened for example?

Both, I think. The straps are clipped into the release box and the slack taken up with the adjusters, then a fabric cover (apron) is clipped in place to keep them in contact with the seat.

There's a view of what I think is the apron in situe on the BDAC facebook page 360 interactive cockpit photo of the Hawk I'm doing (XX154). Note the camera tripod legs are visible on top of the apron, and the shoulder straps are still clipped to the headbox, normal stowage when the seat is vacated ready for next use, but I think they should be lead down to the release box and covered by the apron for solo flight. Ex Hawk driver @Fritag might be able to confirm? 

Link to photo:-

https://www.facebook.com/Fastjetcockpits/photos/pcb.3680575635361911/3680570242029117/

On 11/30/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dave Swindell said:

Ex Hawk driver @Fritag might be able to confirm? 

Thanks for this Dave, I hadn’t spotted this group build or Pappy’s lovely Hawk before getting the heads up.  Glad to have found both 👍

On 11/30/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dave Swindell said:

Both, I think. The straps are clipped into the release box and the slack taken up with the adjusters, then a fabric cover (apron) is clipped in place to keep them in contact with the seat.

That’s correct; can’t improve on that description.  The seat apron was a dull green colour back in the days of the old style Mk10 headbox - p’raps still is.  I can’t remember quite what was down with the leg restraint cords - probably tied up with the straps somehow - but not something to worry about in 1/72 😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fritag said:

That’s correct; can’t improve on that description.  The seat apron was a dull green colour back in the days of the old style Mk10 headbox - p’raps still is.  I can’t remember quite what was down with the leg restraint cords - probably tied up with the straps somehow - but not something to worry about in 1/72 😀

Thanks for confirmation on that Steve, especially the colour. I was already planning this for the back seat in mine.

Here’s a piccie I took of the front and back seats of a 1/72 Hawk I was building - but which somewhat stalled at the mo... The one on the right is my interpretation of the rear seat with an apron fitted.  I made the apron out of wine bottle foil.

50672963396_e257476e83_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks chaps! That is exactly what I needed to know. I quite like the idea of the 'apron' being installed (not just because I only have the one figure) as it is a little different,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Withe the finish date looming and no prospect of another Matchbox jet pilot figure, and in keeping with Dave's advice and inspiration taken from Fritag, I decided to make the rear seat solo 'apron' used when the jet is flown solo.

022(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

It will not pass a close inspection but should do for a cursory glance under a closed cockpit

I also added the small pouch to the aft cockpit bulkhead. This seems quite a prominent item in most cockpit pictures so one was fashioned from lead foil, as was the seat apron and straps. The canopy is now ready to be installed, a last dry fit looks like tehre will not be too many issues

023(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

cheers

Pappy

• Like 3

On 12/6/2020 at 10:17 PM, Fritag said:

Looks pretty good to me too!!

On 12/7/2020 at 12:16 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice work dude. 

Thanks very much fellas

G'day people,

Unfortunately with the deadline now arrived, I got close but did not finish in time.

Here is where I got up to

008(44).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

009(44).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The windscreen fiasco cost me some time. I will finish the kit but not right now and not during the KUTA build either

regards,

Pappy

• Sad 1

Thanks for moving the WIP thread Enzo!

I didn't make the GB deadline for this one but I am going to keep ploughing on regardless.

Today, I spent some time applying decals.

The decals are from the Airfix kit and I can report that they were both comprehensive and wonderful. I only resorted to decals setting/softening solution for the upper wing roundels as they need to be applied over some vortex generators. The decals behaved flawlessly and snuggle down after the application of some decal softener. I cannot promise that all the stencils are the right way up, some of them are tiny!

001(61).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

002(61).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

003(60).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I have added the rocket pods  and still need to add the gun pod, but that will have to wait until after the matt coat as the hole for my cocktail stick will be covered by the gun pod

cheers

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Looking good! I remember seeing these at Chivenor about a million years ago! 

You're absolutely correct of course, the wrapround camo looks so much better than the all over gloss black. I never like fancy anniversary schemes either, all plain old line jets in my collection. 

A proper looking Hawk this, nothing humdrum about it at all, great work.

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

the wrapround camo looks so much better than the all over gloss black

Defo agree with that. The Hawk is almost too pretty to be military somehow; and the wraparound camo lends it an air of proper purpose 😅

6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Looking good! I remember seeing these at Chivenor about a million years ago! 

You're absolutely correct of course, the wrapround camo looks so much better than the all over gloss black. I never like fancy anniversary schemes either, all plain old line jets in my collection. 

A proper looking Hawk this, nothing humdrum about it at all, great work.

Hi LR, thanks very much, there are plenty of nice show schemes, but being such a small in reality results in quite a diminutive subject in 1/72 and the black schemes in particular run the risk of having all the fine details lost is a sea of black. 

2 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Pappy,

This is looking very nice. I've put mine in KUTA XIII.

How did you get the thread moved? That is, where/how do I ask Enzo?

Alan

Hi Alan, I just asked the folder moderator (politely) to move the thread to this foldder via a PM

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

Defo agree with that. The Hawk is almost too pretty to be military somehow; and the wraparound camo lends it an air of proper purpose 😅

Obviously,no argument from me. I think most people would immediately think 'Red Arrows' when you say Hawk and being predominately a trainer, they are typically seen sans armament, but to me a wraparound Hawk with weaps is a proper looking jet. I was very tempted to do a Finnish  camo example but did not have decals. The Finns have recently painted up a blue and white display bird and it looks gawjuss❤ but I will leave that one  alone as it is just too pretty for me as I like my hairy planes to  be hard working line jets 

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Well just about finished now, I only need to devise a display stand. I would have likes to add a turned brass pitot (especially since I managed to break the kit supplied one almost as soon as it was attached) however living in the antipodes means that supplies of  aftermarket goodies have somewhat dried up so I substituted a piece of hypodermic tube and copper wire. I may swap it out at a later stage if the opportunity presents itself

001(62).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

002(62).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I have added some light weathering, Mainly in the form of fluid stains and leaks around the back end (Ooh ahh Matron!) as this seems typical for the type

003(61).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

004(59).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Finally the inspection windows for the gauges in the aft fuselage were added from punched acetate discs

006(56).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

thanks for looking,

Pappy

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, st george said:

Looks great Pappy. Nicely built and looks just as I remember when I worked on them in the early 80's on 151 Sqn.

David

G'dasy David,

Well, that is about the highest praise I could hope to get, thank very much and I am glad that I have done the kit and unit justice. 

I have a question for you if you don't mind? I will be knocking up some sort of base to display the jet in-flight, would you happen to recall the typical callsign for gun/rocket range sortie?

I want to get a small palque made to attach to the base

cheers,

Pappy

12 hours ago, Pappy said:

typical callsign for gun/rocket range sortie?

IIRC...There would not have been a sortie specific callsign.

151 sqn would have had a number of allocated formation callsigns at that time  (dunno how you’d find out what they were tho’ google has failed me...) and so if the particular aircraft went to the range as part of a formation it’s callsign would be the formation name and a number representing the formation position (as we’re probably all familiar with); Something like Panther 1, Panther 2 etc.

If it was a singleton range sortie - tbh I can’t remember what the callsign format was.  It might actually just have been just an identifying number.  What it wouldn’t have been was a cool sounding ‘Top Gun’ nickname 😅

5 hours ago, st george said:

Sorry Pappy. We didn't work with call signs, just pins on a board to let us know what to load to what A/C.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

IIRC...There would not have been a sortie specific callsign.

151 sqn would have had a number of allocated formation callsigns at that time  (dunno how you’d find out what they were tho’ google has failed me...) and so if the particular aircraft went to the range as part of a formation it’s callsign would be the formation name and a number representing the formation position (as we’re probably all familiar with); Something like Panther 1, Panther 2 etc.

If it was a singleton range sortie - tbh I can’t remember what the callsign format was.  It might actually just have been just an identifying number.  What it wouldn’t have been was a cool sounding ‘Top Gun’ nickname 😅

G'day David and Fritag,

Thanks for the quick replies, not to worry, that just means I have free reign to ivent my own formation call sign since no one can prove me wrong! I like the sound of "Hunter" so that is what I will go with,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy