Humdrum Hawk

Pappy

G'day people,

My Hawk will be a working line jet in green and grey wraparound - no airshow special for me!  The unit is still to be decided

Pack shot

001(49).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

004(46).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

Aaaaannnd we are off!

I had already bought the 1/72 Airfix boxing when I came across this GB, so it is interesting to compare the kits. The Revell cockpit sidewalls are completely devoid of any detail.

Here is a comparison shot with with the Airfix Hawk kit above it

009(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

I’m glad you posted this picture. What the dickens are these four holes on the both sides of the rear fuselage of the Revell Hawk? One is possibly afire access point to the engine, the rear most is a APU exhaust, but not sure about the others. 

On 11/2/2020 at 1:56 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

I’m glad you posted this picture. What the dickens are these four holes on the both sides of the rear fuselage of the Revell Hawk? One is possibly afire access point to the engine, the rear most is a APU exhaust, but not sure about the others. 

G'day HB,

I dun no either!

G'day people,

A little progress today. The cockpit tub is complete

006(41).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(41).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

This was a pretty straightforward assembly  with no issues. Next up the instrument were painted.

007(42).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Revell supply a couple of decals which would also look very good but I opted to simply paint them instead. Applying the decals over the top of the detail would also work well, I used this to great effect on my 1/48 Tornado build but in this scale I was happy just to paint the details plus it is good practice. whilst I had the hairy stick out, the instrument coamings also got a splash of paint

008(34).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The rear coaming had a couple of nasty sink marks that needed tidying up with a light smear of filler, it seems to have worked

009(36).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The seats are still being worked on. They are very nicely detailed but need  a little care to assemble.

The 'zorst was installed as was the air brake well roof. The separate roof part ensures that there is no nasty seam down the middle and allows for the provision of delicate rivet details. The Airfix kit moulds the well integrally with each fuselage half  and results in a nasty seam to clean up if you choose to display the the air brake open.

004(47).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Although it won't be seen,  I had a go at simulating some heat staining

003(50).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Thanks for looking,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 6

G'day people,

I finally finished up the seats today.

I like the green/grey wraparound scheme  however, The majority of these have the earlier style MB.10B-2 seats which had a much larger head box. The kit provides the later style seats with the smaller square head boxes I spent a little time attempting to make the kit supplied head boxes reassemble these earlier seats

005(42).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

007(43).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

006(42).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

They won't pass a serious inspection but with aircrew installed  and a closed canopy they may be good enough in 1/72

The seats have been added to the tub and the fuselage halves are now ready to close up

008(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

thanks for looking,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

18 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work Pappy. 

Thanks HB!

G'day people,

So the fuselage has been buttoned up with no fit issues

007(44).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(43).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The top side won't need any filler but the underside is a different story as on my example, the forward fuselage seems to bow inwards along the seam resulting in a depression or trough

006(43).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Interestingly, I had the same issue with the Airfix kit

003(52).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Annoying as this will need re-scribing. I deviated from the destructions slightly and assembled and attached the intakes prior to joining the fuselage halves. I have also attached the wing halves together, again no fit issues but the trailing edge is really thick. I will leave it but that is one area where the Airfix kit is much better.

010(31).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

009(37).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(36).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

This jet will be depicted in flight so to add a little more interest I have cut out the ailerons and will re-attach them such that the jet will be rolling left. I also took this opportunity to thin down the ailerons but will leave the flap TE alone,

thanks for looking,

Pappy

• Like 5

G'day people,

Well, this is embarrasing, I forgot to drill out the locating holes for the gun pod before joining the fuselage halves together!

Could someone please tell me what the position of the locating holes are?

I really only need one, location the position of the fwd one for example as I can then use the pins on the pod to work out where the second one needs to be. 

If someone could let me  by telling me how many mm forward of the front edge of the wing opening for example that would be great,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Well, thanks to diases I am moving forwards again. I have taken care of the underfuslage seams and I only have a small spot of filler to take care of on the upper fuselage

006(45).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(45).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I am not a fan of the way that Revell would have you add the ventral strakes as I found their fit quite vague and not a good fit.

I like what David Stillwell is doing with his Hawk wheel bays. As David correctly pointed out, the main wheel bay details are incorrect. As my jet will be in-flight I can simply ignore this issue by adding the undercarriage doors which actually fit quite well

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Pappy said:

As my jet will be in-flight I can simply ignore this issue by adding the undercarriage doors which actually fit quite well

I found that one set of undercarriage doors fitted pretty well, the other nearly but not quite.  I've fitted them to the wings before assembling the wings so have been able to run Mr Dissolved Putty into the errant set of doors from above and it seems to have improved things with very little work.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:59 AM, Andy G said:

I found that one set of undercarriage doors fitted pretty well, the other nearly but not quite.  I've fitted them to the wings before assembling the wings so have been able to run Mr Dissolved Putty into the errant set of doors from above and it seems to have improved things with very little work.

G'day Andy,

If I was a smart man that is exactly what I should have done! Unfortunately I decided on a wheels up kit after I glued the wing sections together - rookie move :dunce:

I spent some time today painting some knuckleheads

002(57).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The taller one on the left is an old Matchbox figure that was given to me buy a fellow club member.  I love painting these, the details a re simple but very crisp!

005(51).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The other two are Airfix figures that are included in their 1/72 Hawk kit. They also have some nice detail but I find that the face and helmet detail is just a bit soft. I modified one of the figures as I did not want them both of them to have the same pose so I cut off and re positioned his head looking to the left and removed and re-attached the left had to a more horizontal position

I installed the Matchbox figure in the front cockpit. Unfortunately I only have one of these, I wish I had another to keep him company

012(26).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Thanks for looking

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Hi Pappy,

Those figures look good.  I must get mine painted.  I've made copies of the Buccaneer crew who unfortunately are using mind control to fly the plane, so no moving hands for me!  

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

Hi Pappy,

Those figures look good.  I must get mine painted.  I've made copies of the Buccaneer crew who unfortunately are using mind control to fly the plane, so no moving hands for me!  

Thanks Andy. I think Hasegawa's figures look the best for an OOB option but they would look wrong in an RAF jet as the helmets are wrong. As I said, the Matchbox pilot figures are very nice and easy to paint as the details are very crisp. There are actually two types of fast jet pilots as at some point. The aircrew figures in the Matchbox Victor are different and have even better detail. I am looking forward to seeing how your Bucc' figures turn out,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

This is progressing well, or rather, it was until I ran into a little snag, but more anon.....

The  main undercarriage doors have been added. I had a pretty nice fit with the right main gear door but the same was not true of the left. I needed a bit of filler and some careful filing to get the door to play nice

DSCN7415.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Eventually it all came good and the flap fairings were added.

So, now it was time to add the canopy. My example had heaps of flash on both the windscreen and main canopy, surprising for a relatively new kit

DSCN7404.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7405(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&f

Anyhooo, the windscreen was cleaned up and offered up the cockpit,

DSCN7412.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

No problems with the right side, let's have  a look at the left

DSCN7414.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Oh dear!

It seems that the part has warped and is bowed inwards. I dare attempt to 'flex' it wider for fear of cracking it.

I went back to the store, in my case a Toy shop chain, and explained my problem and request for a new part to the assistant (bored look, slightly anxious), then the assistant's supervisor (less anxious, equally puzzled and slightly annoyed), then their boss (not our problem - contact Revell) and well, long story short I did not get very far. Meanwhile I went to the Revell website, selected the Parts service tab and conveniently, that part of the website is down for maintenance 😠

I think that unfortunately I will have to withdraw from this GB as I don's see this being resolved before the GB close date. Even if the Revell website spares service was operating, I doubt I would get a replacement all the way down to Oz in the current COVID19 situation, and I have plenty of other builds that I can progress. Incidentally, this is where my Airfix Hawk is at. I have been building this at almost the same time, and the canopy fit is superb!

Y

DSCN7418.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Thank you all viewing

regards,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

G'day people,

So, the Revell service website is no longer undergoing maintenance. I have sent them a spare parts request and to my surprise I have even received a reply in the same day!

Revell have replied

"Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to process your parts request. The post is initially suspended due to the corona pandemic. For this reason, delivery is not possible and ask for your understanding. Please send us your request after the corona pandemic again."

Further information can be found under the following link:

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html

Stay healthy and thank you for your understanding

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Carsten Wilde

Simple really, I just have to wait out a global pandemic. This will not be finished before the GB deadline :(

Last pic, the stores have been painted up,

007(52).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I was planning on using the AIM-9s on the Airfix kit because their version is just pants, so it has not been a complete waste of time,

bye

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 7:36 PM, Andy G said:

That’s a shame, it was coming along very nicely.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:47 PM, Jb65rams said:

I had the same issue with my Yellowjacks entry. I checked my second boxing and that was the same.

I bodged it in the end with some filler. Looks ok from a distance but would not hold up to close scrutiny.

G'day fellas, thanks for the suggestions but I don't see why I should have to overcome a defect that was not of my making and which should  have been caught at the quality control stage.

I do have some good news though, I received another reply;

Dear Sirs,

we will send the part free of charge to your address.

Shipping information: Shipping time at the moment for USA needs up to 6 weeks
and for all other Countries up to 3 week.

Kind regards

Your Revell Service Team

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revell Service
Tel.: +49 (0) 5223 965 199
Fax: +49 (0) 5223 965 195
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.revell.de
Revell GmbH
Henschelstr. 20-30
D-32257 Bünde
Bünde Sitz: Bünde / Amtsgericht Bad Oeynhausen HRB 10158
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Krings

Wow, that is what I call customer service! I may even make the deadline.

BZ Revell GmbH

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Dear Pappy,

That is too bad. I haven't opened my canopy bag yet and now I'm dreading it.

The customer service is good as you say, but not good enough to complete your build on time.

I had a similar problem with a (still not finished) Airfix Hurricane last year albeit the canopy was not too narrow, but too wide for it to look OK slid-back:

180321a hurricane problem

I made up this little jig:

180323a hurricane fix

It's just two matchsticks, and a bit of matchstick in between, epoxied to a bit of wood. The two matchstick aren't quite parallel, converging towards the rear of the canopy. So, the canopy has been slid in from the front end, as it were, and then held over a pan of boiling water for a bit. Then sequentially slid back and heated up until just right to fit:

180323b hurricane fixed

I hope I don't have to resort to this for the hawk, but it is pretty easy and pretty quick. It depends on the matchsticks' inner faces sloping in a bit to hold the canopy onto the wood while it's heated up. I think you'd need two matchsticks each side to achieve that as you're trying to make the windshield wider and not narrower.

HTH

Alan   

On 11/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, Pappy said:

G'day fellas, thanks for the suggestions but I don't see why I should have to overcome a defect that was not of my making and which should  have been caught at the quality control stage.

I get that. As we already know that there are at least two windshields like this out there, how confident can you be that the new one coming to you will be any better?

Alan

6 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

Dear Pappy,

That is too bad. I haven't opened my canopy bag yet and now I'm dreading it.

The customer service is good as you say, but not good enough to complete your build on time.

I had a similar problem with a (still not finished) Airfix Hurricane last year albeit the canopy was not too narrow, but too wide for it to look OK slid-back:

180321a hurricane problem

I made up this little jig:

180323a hurricane fix

It's just two matchsticks, and a bit of matchstick in between, epoxied to a bit of wood. The two matchstick aren't quite parallel, converging towards the rear of the canopy. So, the canopy has been slid in from the front end, as it were, and then held over a pan of boiling water for a bit. Then sequentially slid back and heated up until just right to fit:

180323b hurricane fixed

I hope I don't have to resort to this for the hawk, but it is pretty easy and pretty quick. It depends on the matchsticks' inner faces sloping in a bit to hold the canopy onto the wood while it's heated up. I think you'd need two matchsticks each side to achieve that as you're trying to make the windshield wider and not narrower.

HTH

Alan   

6 hours ago, Angus Tura said:

I get that. As we already know that there are at least two windshields like this out there, how confident can you be that the new one coming to you will be any better?

Alan

G'day Alan,

Firstly, that was a great save using an ingeniously simple method. The problem with my windscreen is not only that it is too narrow on one side but also concaved as it bends inwards. i hope thyat Revell do some sort of quality re-assessent, hopefully other modellers who have experienced this issue are also firing off e-mails too which should ring some alarm bells hopefully. I am not a design engineer but that large  'pool' of clear plastic immediately on the left side of the canopy seems to indicte a mould issue, perhaps styrene is leaking out leaving insufficient material for the left side to fully form before the clear sprue is ejected from the mould?

The second point is that I have bought another kit. With a replacement canopy now inbound, the plan is to use the canopy from the newly aquirred kit to keep going. I inspected the kit beforehand this time and the same issue was present (a  large pool of clear styrene adjacent the left side) there was still some warpage howver it was much reduced so I bought it all the same - this will never be a show winner. It does seem to indicate that there is an issue with Revell's mould process though,  more pics soon,

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

Well, my little Hawk now has a windscreen installed

004(56).JPG

This came fro m a second kit. It is also warped, though nowhere near as bad as the original windscreen. Once I had faired it in with putty, the whole lot was given a brush application of Future to try and blend everything in

005(53).JPG

The main canopy dry fitted at this point

006(53).JPG

There was a small divot on the left side, I don't think I can blame Revell for that one. I have filled it with some sprue glue and will sand when it has hardened up but otherwise the main canopy fits well

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pappy said:

There was a small divot on the left side, I don't think I can blame Revell for that one.

No, it's supposed to be there, and there should be one on the right side as well. The internal blast screen F56 has locating tabs that slip into these slots. Helpful if you're posing the canopy open, if you're posing it closed you could also locate the blast screen on the front of the rear instrument panel coaming A7.

15 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

No, it's supposed to be there, and there should be one on the right side as well. The internal blast screen F56 has locating tabs that slip into these slots. Helpful if you're posing the canopy open, if you're posing it closed you could also locate the blast screen on the front of the rear instrument panel coaming A7.

G'day Dave,

I noticed a recessed area inside the canopy that I presumed was there to assist in locating the blast shield but did not realise that the blast shield locating pins poked through the sides as well - I only noticed on the left canopy edge. I was planning on locating it on A7 as I did with the Airfix Hawk as this seems to work better for a closed canopy. Incidentally, since I have your attention and you seem to be quite familiar with Hawk procedures, what happens to the rear seat harness when the jet is flown solo?  Is there some sort of cover placed over the aft seat or are the straps clipped together and tightened for example? I can't imagine that the belt would be allowed to just flop about while the jet gets chucked about,

cheers,

Pappy